• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hookups Are Pretty Rare. Unless You’re White and Wealthy

PhDeac

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
Reaction score
http://www.slate.com/articles/doubl...ture_for_the_white_wealthy_and_beautiful.html

Buried in the statistics is information about who is participating in the hookup culture more or less actively. And, it turns out, not everyone on campus embraces the scene equally. Only 14 percent of students hookup more than 10 times in four years and these students are more likely than others to be white, wealthy, heterosexual, able-bodied, and conventionally attractive, according to quantitative studies of hookup behavior. Students who do not fall into these categories hook up significantly less and are more likely to disapprove of or be uninterested in the whole endeavor. To give you an idea of why, I’ll briefly discuss what we know about the attitudes and behaviors of African-American versus white and working-class versus middle-class students.

------------

Interesting article that reviews some interesting research.

"....are more likely than others to be white, wealthy, heterosexual, able-bodied, and conventionally attractive, according to quantitative studies of hookup behavior. Students who do not fall into these categories hook up significantly less and are more likely to disapprove of or be uninterested in the whole endeavor."

duh?

Or you could read further and see how the other people live.

I read it, and I read the quantitative studies linked in the article.

I don't find any of it very surprising, but the section that you linked seems particularly obvious/doesn't really force the real issues of the article. If you wanted to spark a better conversation, this would have been a better section to quote:

African-American students are less likely to hook up than white students. Sociological studies suggest that lingering racism plays a part: Black people have been traditionally stereotyped as hypersexual (trigger warning: see the “jezebel” and “mandingo” stereotypes). So, for black men and women, embracing sexual freedom can bring individual rewards, but also risks affirming harmful beliefs about African-Americans. In response, some black people feel the need to perform a politics of respectability. Rashawn Ray and Jason Rosow, for example, in a comparison of black and white fraternities, found that black men’s resistance to negative racial stereotypes sometimes involved being “good” and following mainstream social norms of appearance and behavior.

I was going to let that slide, but there's that, too.

Yeah well I had enough to drink at dinner to not let it slide.

To be fair it's pretty common knowledge that lbe is well off, good looking, and white. And she's hooked it with at least 3 posters.

Rich, white , attractive people hook up? Stop the presses.

When you break it down, their main finding that those most likely to hookup are people who drink at parties, isn't that surprising or frankly, interesting.

What I find more interesting is their thesis that people believe college is dominated by a hookup culture because white rich kids say there is. That could be true, or it could also be that sex sells, especially to over anxious parents who are sending their children off to college for the first time.

WTF how did Jezebel become a black thing?

Sociological studies suggest that lingering racism plays a part: Black people have been traditionally stereotyped as hypersexual (trigger warning: see the “jezebel” and “mandingo” stereotypes). So, for black men and women, embracing sexual freedom can bring individual rewards, but also risks affirming harmful beliefs about African-Americans.

I've never heard about this at all. I really had no idea this was a thing.

...just want to go on record in saying that I've had *relationships* with three posters (including Jason). That's different from just a hookup; I've had very few of those.

Under that definition of a hookup no way do only 14% of people have 10 throughout college.

Back