• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

House GOP Votes to Weaken Ethics Committee

Newenglanddeac

Reaction score
"Defying the wishes of their top leaders, House Republicans voted behind closed doors Monday night to rein the independent ethics office created eight years ago in the wake of a series of embarrassing congressional scandals.

The 119-to-74 vote during a GOP conference meeting means that the House rules package expected to be adopted Tuesday, the first day of the 115th Congress, would rename the Office of Congressional Ethics (OCE) to the Office of Congressional Complaint Review and place it under the oversight of the House Ethics Committee.

The OCE was created in 2008 to address concerns that the Ethics Committee had been too timid in pursuing allegations of wrongdoing by House members. Under the current House ethics regime, the OCE is empowered to release a public report of its findings even if the Ethics Committee chooses not to take further action against a member.

The move to place the OCE under the Ethics Committee’s aegis stands to please many lawmakers who have been wary of having their dirty laundry aired by the independent entity, but some Republicans feared that rolling back a high-profile ethical reform would send a negative message as the GOP assumes unified control in Washington. President-elect Donald Trump has repeatedly promised to “drain the swamp” and has proposed a series of his own ethics reforms."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...omepage/story&utm_term=.655ca55c1c26#comments

DJT weighs in:

DJT weighs in:

This is the whip crack that will get congressional pubs in line. They are going to be getting phone calls from REAL Americans about this now.

Don fixing to make some turtle soup and cancel D.C. Crossfit classes

I doubt he starts a fight with them over this. He's just putting the crooks on notice. He will need the American people to put pressure on them when it comes to reforming trade and immigration.

Funny that as Trump tweeted this, Kellyanne Conway was defending the move.

I doubt he starts a fight with them over this. He's just putting the crooks on notice. He will need the American people to put pressure on them when it comes to reforming trade and immigration.

The phrase will be "rapid build"

Funny that as Trump tweeted this, Kellyanne Conway was defending the move.

If Trump tweeted support or nothing, then the rubes would have just added any criticism of this to the "you lost, git over it!" column.

The way I read Trump's tweet, he agrees with the move, but disagrees with the timing/priority.

Pretty par for the course: "I'll yell and scream over here, so that you don't think I have anything to do with the gutting going on over there."

Meanwhile, he some how manages to turn people against the phrase "independent oversight". The man is a master of his craft.

Last edited:

The way I read Trump's tweet, he agrees with the move, but disagrees with the timing/priority.

Pretty par for the course: "I'll yell and scream over here, so that you don't think I have anything to do with the gutting going on over there."

Meanwhile, he some how manages to turn people against the phrase "independent oversight". The man is a master of his craft.

Is Trump capable of doing anything you guys agree with? Clearly you guys don't want the ethics committer gutted, yet when trump tweets a WTH are pubs doing, you can't even get on board with that.

Back