• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How Americans Feel About Religious Groups

And Atheists are just slightly above Muslims.

That pretty well sums up just how fucking stupid the average American is. Or perhaps explains why the American public grows upset if we haven't engaged in some kind of religiously involved war every 10 years where we can use poor white American Christian boys to kill poor, dark-skinned foreign boys.

How come they don't have how Buddhists feel about the other groups?

What was telling is the section about what groups think about other religions. Evangelicals have disdain for anyone other than Christians and Jews.

Nothing really surprising there, people prefer like-minded people. Would have been nice if "mainline Protestant" had been included in more places in the study. Thanks for sharing.

I wonder how DistrictDeac and numbers feel.

That pretty well sums up just how fucking stupid the average American is. Or perhaps explains why the American public grows upset if we haven't engaged in some kind of religiously involved war every 10 years where we can use poor white American Christian boys to kill poor, dark-skinned foreign boys.

Come on, brother. You really have this much of a reaction from a silly poll? Just have a Coke and a smile and move on.

Come on, brother. You really have this much of a reaction from a silly poll? Just have a Coke and a smile and move on.

Where have you been? I have this kind of reaction about EVERYTHING.

Seriously, read the article. It's less about a poll and more about the fucking lame mentalities behind it- the vast majority of which are grounded in nothing more than simple fucking ignorance. Any matrix that puts atheism in the same realm as Islam is just indicative of the underlying knee-jerk ignorance.

Nothing really surprising there, people prefer like-minded people.

Totally agree.

The offended atheists may want to look in the mirror, and consider that they are some of the angriest, most judgmental, preachiest, and shrill people that people meet. They often embody everything they say they hate about evangelicals. Then they blame others for their perception.

Where have you been? I have this kind of reaction about EVERYTHING.

Seriously, read the article. It's less about a poll and more about the fucking lame mentalities behind it- the vast majority of which are grounded in nothing more than simple fucking ignorance. Any matrix that puts atheism in the same realm as Islam is just indicative of the underlying knee-jerk ignorance.

Can you elaborate on this? I may have read it wrong but it sounds like you are saying any poll that rates atheism as poorly as Islam is indicative of knee-jerk ignorance.

Or is it more the fact that if two very different belief systems end up with similar low ratings its probably indicative of the majority's ignorance about those two belief systems?

Can you elaborate on this? I may have read it wrong but it sounds like you are saying any poll that rates atheism as poorly as Islam is indicative of knee-jerk ignorance.

Or is it more the fact that if two very different belief systems end up with similar low ratings its probably indicative of the majority's ignorance about those two belief systems?

What I'm saying is that people will often vilify things they don't understand or have been conditioned to fear. Atheism isn't a "belief system," and to the extent that it can be characterized by what it isn't (a disbelief, if you will), it's certainly not on par with Islam. And while Islam in general may be to blame (either because of zealots or a weak/non-existent condemnation of those zealots), many people will simply think "hate it" when they actually know little about it other than what they hear on Fox News, Glenn Beck, or in the paper. But I'd also suggest that many of those Americans who love and embrace Judaism actually know little about its tenets and dogma as well. Again, it's what the media and political culture embrace that flavors perceptions.

Atheism (in the strict sense) is certainly a belief system. It is a belief that God or any God-like entity does not exist.

What exactly do you mean by "Atheism is certainly not on par with Islam"?

Totally agree.

The offended atheists may want to look in the mirror, and consider that they are some of the angriest, most judgmental, preachiest, and shrill people that people meet. They often embody everything they say they hate about evangelicals. Then they blame others for their perception.

I'm sure you're not even SLIGHTLY religious at all.

Militant atheism may be very annoying to people but by the same token it's also not advocating vehemently for 1st Century A.D. principles to be applied to 2014 society. I'd rather be annoying that stuck in 33 A.D.

I'd posit that offended atheists are probably offended because of the belief system, not the fact that evangelicals are annoying. That's at least why I have an unfavorable position on evangelicals.

Last edited:
Atheism (in the strict sense) is certainly a belief system. It is a belief that God or any God-like entity does not exist.

Atheism is in no way a "belief system" like a religion. No dogma, no texts, no rituals, no standards for behavior or life. There are accepted principles- mainly "no gods"- but not much beyond that. That's the distinction. If that makes Atheism a "belief system" then anything is. Liking Pizza, hating UNC, going fishing. The rejection of a belief system does not inherently make that a belief system.

In terms of tangible impact on history or culture, modern or historical, Atheism is certainly not on par with Islam.

I don't think atheism is a belief system, it's just a belief. Where would the system come from, and what would be it's purpose? It seems to me that the only thing that Atheism and Islam have in common, are Evangelical Christians dislike and opposition to them.

Totally agree.

The main difference between an Atheist and a deist is that the Atheist doesn't really give a shit what you do or believe- just keep it to yourself. Mark 16:15? The Talmud and Koran also have similar proselytizing charges. Next time an Atheist starts off a city council meeting with a prayer, you can hit him with a shoe.

Back