• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How can Wellman survive?

KoolMoeD

Reaction score
Is it at all realistic to expect that Wellman can survive this FIASCO? To many fans/alums he appears to be not only going over the cliff but punching the accelerator. He has massively alienated the majority of the fan base. How do we heal this rift?

Wellman will probably survive because he is perceived as a "great" AD. Although every year he keeps Buzz, the closer he comes to being run out of town. The casual fan is starting to come around to the #WellmanOut movement. Is it weird how involved our AD is compared to other schools? Having these massive PR tours? Meeting with teams? It seems more involved than other places, but perhaps it's because we are such a small school.

Seems like he only has support of the Big Donors. At this rate I'll be pissing on their graves before Wake is good again in Basketball. I just hope my son isn't pissing on my grave when Wake gets back to the big dance.

My wife, not a Wake person, is officially dumbfounded by how Wellman can do this. Apparently everyone she talks to in her workplace is hardcore BuzzOut, and these are not young people. I have no answers for her.

My wife, not a Wake person, is officially dumbfounded by how Wellman can do this. Apparently everyone she talks to in her workplace is hardcore BuzzOut, and these are not young people. I have no answers for her.

Even the olds my family hang around are BuzzOut. They think he's only there because he is Wellman's old buddy and he needed a new job.

If Wellman would fire Bz and hire a good coach to replace him, then I think the majority of the fanbase would be pacified.

How can Wellman survive?

Kelsey-Grammer-in-Boss.jpg

Because he's the boss. Albeit a very neglectful one.

Even the olds my family hang around are BuzzOut. They think he's only there because he is Wellman's old buddy and he needed a new job.

It has been really interesting getting my wife's perspective, given that she's an outsider to all this (we don't talk much about Buzz because she knows it depresses me). She is like genuinely curious how this can be happening and how Wellman can pull this off when it seems like the entire fanbase wants [Redacted] gone. She even wanted to look at the boards just to see what people were saying. The program is truly a car wreck.

If Wellman would fire Bz and hire a good coach to replace him, then I think the majority of the fanbase would be pacified.

If he straight up admitted his mistake like a man, I'd be pacified. If he fires buzz next year but cites some lame excuses outside of lack postseason success, I won't be pacified bc it means he'd be capable of making another purposeful atrocious hire.

If he straight up admitted his mistake like a man, I'd be pacified. If he fires buzz next year but cites some lame excuses outside of lack postseason success, I won't be pacified bc it means he'd be capable of making another purposeful atrocious hire.

"Jeff came in and set the foundation for our future success, Wake Forest owes a debt of gratitude to him for this."

It has been really interesting getting my wife's perspective, given that she's an outsider to all this (we don't talk much about Buzz because she knows it depresses me). She is like genuinely curious how this can be happening and how Wellman can pull this off when it seems like the entire fanbase wants [Redacted] gone. She even wanted to look at the boards just to see what people were saying. The program is truly a car wreck.

Your wife seems like a rational human being.

Obviously, that's not going to pacify a lot of the posters here. But I think the majority of the fanbase would be happy if Wellman simply corrected the problem. I don't buy that Wellman and Bz's fates are linked at least at this point. But the longer Wellman allows this to go on the more that becomes a reality.

Mainly these people were big DC donors in the past, but have since cut their donations. A few of them have said they think Wellman needs to go. Others think it's pure cronyism and Buzz told Wellman he needed a new job and Wellman fired Dino to give him a job. A lot of them still can't make sense of why Dino was fired. It really is a mess, and I am shocked but not surprised Buzz is coming back. I can't see him leaving until Wellman is gone.

"Jeff came in and set the foundation for our future success, Wake Forest owes a debt of gratitude to him for this."

Holy shit why is he treated by Wellman as the "savior" of Wfu basketball? I thought that was cp3's title when he came on campus in 2003?

Reason I brought this up was I talked to an old school buddy today. He still lives in Winston and he says all the Moricles(?Big Donors) say be patient and we will be in the NIT next year. Great goal didn't we win the NIT under Odom? Yeah it sucked....To my buddy I am like what is Bzzz's upside ? He is a journeyman right? How can the big donors be behind him? Have we given up?

small minded big fish in small ponds, life is good on the inside they get some weird ivory tower power trip out of it

Very small chance we make the NIT next year. We'll win some games with a stacked cupcake OOC schedule, but ACC play is gonna be a train wreck. The big-time donors are delusional.

They really believe this Indiana comparison.

Mainly these people were big DC donors in the past, but have since cut their donations. A few of them have said they think Wellman needs to go. Others think it's pure cronyism and Buzz told Wellman he needed a new job and Wellman fired Dino to give him a job. A lot of them still can't make sense of why Dino was fired. It really is a mess, and I am shocked but not surprised Buzz is coming back. I can't see him leaving until Wellman is gone.

If Skip had suffered his heart attack a few months before he did, then Jeff [Redacted] would have been our coach 3 years before he was. That is a stone cold fact. Wellman has been set on him coaching Wake Forest for a very long time. [Redacted] took the Colorado job just before Skip tragically died, just remember that.

An unimpeachable source gave me that info many months ago and they have finally allowed me to share it with the masses.

Last edited:
Back