• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How can Wellman survive?

Congrats to Wellman and Hatch for giving reacharounds to all the current big donors and keeping this asshole around for another year.

Unfortunately, they have completely disengaged a complete generation of fans that the school will be relying on for "big donations" in 20-30 years. Of course, Hatch and Wellman will be gone by then, so they don't give a flying fuck.

He shouldn't. Forget about basketball. What has happened to all our other sports we are no longer competitive in, except soccer? I know he won AD of the Year in '06. Do they give an award out for Worst AD of the Year?

Is it at all realistic to expect that Wellman can survive this FIASCO? To many fans/alums he appears to be not only going over the cliff but punching the accelerator. He has massively alienated the majority of the fan base. How do we heal this rift?

He will survive very well. He has Hatch's blessing.....

There is only one way Wellman can redeem himself. Fire Buzz in the next week or so (he has no problem going back on his word before, so it should be easy to do at this point) and hire one of Mr and Mrs Enfield or Greg Marshall. If he did that, he would win back a lot of support.

But that won't happen, so fuck you Ron.

There is only one way Wellman can redeem himself. Fire Buzz in the next week or so (he has no problem going back on his word before, so it should be easy to do at this point) and hire one of Mr and Mrs Enfield or Greg Marshall. If he did that, he would win back a lot of support.

But that won't happen, so fuck you Ron.

Redeem himself to whom? The fans clearly have no input on the situation, so he doesn't need to redeem himself to us. The fact that he is still here now means that he has the support of the Trustees and Hatch, so he doesn't need to redeem himself to them. The guy, unfortunately, is bulletproof from a job standpoint. I just can't wait for his spin when there is another major conference shuffle and we are jettisoned to the SoCon because of our complete worthlessness. "We really feel that this new league allows us to fully place the necessary importance on culture that Jeff has brought to our program for the past 8 years."

Redeem himself to whom? The fans clearly have no input on the situation, so he doesn't need to redeem himself to us. The fact that he is still here now means that he has the support of the Trustees and Hatch, so he doesn't need to redeem himself to them. The guy, unfortunately, is bulletproof from a job standpoint. I just can't wait for his spin when there is another major conference shuffle and we are jettisoned to the SoCon because of our complete worthlessness. "We really feel that this new league allows us to fully place the necessary importance on culture that Jeff has brought to our program for the past 8 years."
To the fans. True, our input doesn't mean jackshit to him. His reputation with fans as well as the national media would be repaired to some extent if he fired Buzz and hired a legit coach. Admitting you made a mistake would clear most of the disgust up.

But like I said, I don't believe he will do that for the reasons you state. He is in his own little world and nothing will change that.

He shouldn't. Forget about basketball. What has happened to all our other sports we are no longer competitive in, except soccer? I know he won AD of the Year in '06. Do they give an award out for Worst AD of the Year?
This is the reason that I don't think he should be around Wake any longer combined with the basketball coach fiasco. Sure he was here when some programs had a good streak of seasons (I'll leave the debate over whether he is responsible for it to other people) and I don't think anyone is unappreciative of his efforts then plus his ability to get nice facilities built. However, results on the field matter and his programs have seen a sharp decline in athletic cup standings over the last 3-5 years. Letting this happen to the premiere sport for Wake is bad enough but he's letting it happen in almost all the sports. When you have a problem with a specific area of your company, you change that area's leader ([Redacted]) but when it's the entire company, you change the chairman. It's no longer a basketball problem, or a football problem, or any other singular sports problem; it's an overall athletic department problem. It's time for Wellman to step up and make the programs successful or step aside and let Wake get an AD to reach those goals.

I believe that, if media sources stay focused on Wellman's poor judgment and ill-advised handling of our basketball program, Ron will eventually feel pressured to make a move with bzzz...if only to save his own "image" as a great and wise AD. If he doesn't AND if Wake continues to get negative press, maybe Hatch/the BOT will bring their own pressure to bear (finally.)

Basically, I think the key is to keep the press involved. I don't think fans are going to back off -- we want our program salvaged because we've all lost something important.

I believe that, if media sources stay focused on Wellman's poor judgment and ill-advised handling of our basketball program, Ron will eventually feel pressured to make a move with bzzz...if only to save his own "image" as a great and wise AD. If he doesn't AND if Wake continues to get negative press, maybe Hatch/the BOT will bring their own pressure to bear (finally.)

Basically, I think the key is to keep the press involved. I don't think fans are going to back off -- we want our program salvaged because we've all lost something important.

Yeah, but in about 2 weeks nobody gives a shit about college basketball for 6 months. So the pressure will go away as focus turns to baseball, spring college football, NBA/LeBron playoffs, and the NFL draft. If he doesn't feel enough pressure in the next couple of weeks, he gets a reprieve until next year's debacle.

Assuming bzz is entrenched for another year, we'll need to redouble efforts next season. It'll happen. I feel confident.

Congrats to Wellman and Hatch for giving reacharounds to all the current big donors and keeping this asshole around for another year.

Unfortunately, they have completely disengaged a complete generation of fans that the school will be relying on for "big donations" in 20-30 years. Of course, Hatch and Wellman will be gone by then, so they don't give a flying fuck.

Sadly, this is the truth. Wellman is going to do whatever the hell he wants because he knows Hatch and the BOT will back up him. Why? Because the money keeps rolling in, regardless of the damage being done to the average alumnus/fan.

I don't think Wellman can survive Buzz, and he knows it. In the tv interview he looked exhausted and surprisingly nervous. His fate is sealed and that's why he's hanging on to Buzz and hoping that [Redacted] can turn it around.

This has been posted multiple times before but not in this thread.

I fully expect Wake to have another mediocre year in football and poor showing in basketball. Ron chairs the tournament committee and then announces his retirement, well, because chairing that committee is the highest honor that could be bestowed on an AD and he is grateful to be able to go out on top...pomp and circumstance style.

We had the "next head coach" thread, why not a "next AD" thread? Any chance we could bring John Currie home? His base salary seems reasonable but I assume booster incentives go far beyond our means?

All said and done, unfortunately Wellman is sitting in his chair Dr. Claw style reading this and is now determined to stay past 2014....

THIS - Currie would be the perfect AD. He has done wonders at KSU. Bringing back ole' Snyder and hiring Weber, were excellent moves. Not to mention, being a Deac grad, he could be here for the next 30 years - with one thing in mind - THE SUCCESS OF WFU ATHLETIC PROGRAMS! Novel idea, eh?

25k6bnq.png

I don't think Wellman can survive Buzz, and he knows it. In the tv interview he looked exhausted and surprisingly nervous. His fate is sealed and that's why he's hanging on to Buzz and hoping that [Redacted] can turn it around.

RW could very easily survive Bzz- just fire him now, bring in a quality young coach like Enfield, Marshall, etc and all will be forgiven!:thumbsup:

Assuming bzz is entrenched for another year, we'll need to redouble efforts next season. It'll happen. I feel confident.

Another 13-18 season will do everything we need.

As I posted somewhere else, we will likely substitute games with BC, VT, MD and F$U for ones with Notre Dame, Pitt, Syracuse and Louisville.

We will have to improve a lot to make it to 6-12 in the ACC.

THIS - Currie would be the perfect AD. He has done wonders at KSU. Bringing back ole' Snyder and hiring Weber, were excellent moves. Not to mention, being a Deac grad, he could be here for the next 30 years - with one thing in mind - THE SUCCESS OF WFU ATHLETIC PROGRAMS! Novel idea, eh?

Just asking -- what happened though between Currie and Frank Martin? Possible red flag there. And I'm not sure most of the college basketball world thinks the hiring of Bruce Weber was an excellent move (I know Illinois fans sure don't). That actually kind of seems like the kind of uninspired hire that Ronald would make. Anyway, not passing opinion on Currie either way, I am not a K-State follower, but from the outside there appear to be some question marks.

Bzzz needs to read the writing on the wall and submit his resignation this year -- NOW. Surely he's aware a large majority of the Wake fanbase does not support him. Things are going to be harder next year with CJ gone and better quality opponents added to the ACC. Why drag down his loyal best bud with him?

Wellman tried, bzzz, but it just didn't work out. Bow out gracefully. There's no shame in that. In fact, that would be the most positive thing you could do.

Back