• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How easy is it to eat healthy on food stamps?

The best hot sauce with eggs:

4D8EE790-548E-6E8D-456D-988F43E5EAAE.jpg

they're only "expensive" because people don't know how to cook and/or don't have the time/energy

they're only "expensive" because people don't know how to cook and/or don't have the time/energy

this is true.

cooking should be taught in public schools alongside science and math. an entire generation seems to have missed cooking, and sewing, and woodwork/craftsmanship in favor of convenience and ass-sitting.

In poor neighborhoods, they cost more than in the suburbs. Poor neighborhoods very often only have small stores that don't have many fruits of veggies. It's just the way it is.

In poor neighborhoods, they cost more than in the suburbs. Poor neighborhoods very often only have small stores that don't have many fruits of veggies. It's just the way it is.

This has already been discussed. You would know this if you weren't a sissy who puts so many posters on ignore.

Republicans voted to cut over 3.5M people from Food Stamps.

Dems are such pussies that they won't use this in next year's elections. They also won't use Republicans wanting granny to choose between heat and medicine or keep people from getting medical insurance because of pre-existing conditions.

The GOP is doing everything they can to lose the House. The problem is the Dems are too stupid and too weak to take advantage.

this is true.

cooking should be taught in public schools alongside science and math. an entire generation seems to have missed cooking, and sewing, and woodwork/craftsmanship in favor of convenience and ass-sitting.

I guess you didn't hear, but reading and math multiple choice questions are what life is all about.

I know the director or a non-profit that works with local farmers and farmers markets to make good food available for food stamps in "food desert" parts of CLT. According to her, you can eat very healthily on food stamps, but it takes a lot more effort than going to the local corner store that will sell you all of the chips, cereal and cheapo frozen/processed food you want. Unprocessed veggies are some of the most affordable (and most healthy) sources of calories, but getting people to buy them takes a lot of education and convincing. There's a lot more involved in buying, prepping, cooking, planning, etc than just buying chips and microwavable meals. Just making healthy choices available isn't enough. There's a big difference in the amount of time a single mother on food stamps has to prepare food for her family and the time a middle class family has to do the same.

Saw something recently where the GSO Farmer's market takes F Stamps and on Tues or Weds you can get produce at 1/2 price.

One of the greatest produce section I have ever seen was in a low income neighborhood. The produce section was huge and prices were less than my neighborhood. I would occasionally hit their deli for lunch because the carnitas and salsa are off the charts.

Its a great story.

http://www.jsonline.com/business/at-petes-knowledge-fresh-produce-is-king-p7368tr-134521538.html

Of course there are exceptions, but that's not the rule.

It's amazing how many exceptions are found around focused, local effort. Michelle Obama is showing great leadership that we can create an awful lot more "exceptions" than "rule" by the use of community gardens.

eta: typing are hard

Last edited:
this is true.

I have been agreeing a lot with you lately. This is a great point I have never really given a lot if thought.

so.. home economics and wood shop? you don't learn how to do that stuff unless a parent teaches you or you take an interest of your own some point in your teens/20s. I blame parents.

Great link. It reinforces the fact that we need government because the private sector isn't pulling their weight.

Where is the source of this supposed responsibility? What "weight"?

Walmart makes food and consumer goods affordable for millions of struggling families. They are the single biggest supplier of consumed food...on Earth. They are much better at what they do than the government is at what they do, pound for pound.

Yet they need the government's help to make sure that their employees can afford to work at Wal-mart and that their customers can afford to shop there.

Back