• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How easy is it to eat healthy on food stamps?

Actually it does impact other wages. This is especially true at places with a mix of wage levels.

There is cost associated with holding a job: transportation, health, food, and time. So in my opinion there are some jobs that can fairly pay minimum wage, but those jobs should not be full time 37.5 hour jobs, because the time requirement for those positions is too much. A person working so many hours can't reasonably find a second job and can't afford child care.

Last edited:
I'm all for raising taxes on everybody. But I'm also convinced that we should put birth control in the water supply, so you can take what I say with a grain of salt.

There is cost associated with holding a job: transportation, health, food, and time. So in my opinion there are some jobs that can fairly pay minimum wage, but those jobs should not be full time 37.5 hour jobs, because the time requirement for those positions is too much. A person working so many hours can't reasonably find a second job and can't afford child care.

That doesn't make any sense. What about a single person with no kids who can live fine on a full-time minimum wage job (especially if he tacks on some OT)? Or what about someone who can't find a second job, you're going to force a reduction in his hours at his primary job because you think the time requirement is too much?

I'm all for raising taxes on everybody. But I'm also convinced that we should put birth control in the water supply, so you can take what I say with a grain of salt.

Hey, hey, hey, don't go giving away water like it fell from the sky.

P.S. The minimum wage is zero once the factory closes.

Sincerely,

The Invisible Hand.

That doesn't make any sense. What about a single person with no kids who can live fine on a full-time minimum wage job (especially if he tacks on some OT)? Or what about someone who can't find a second job, you're going to force a reduction in his hours at his primary job because you think the time requirement is too much?

Why should that single & childless person be the rule, and not the exception? Any position that requires over 25-30 hours a week should pay a higher wage and provide health benefits. If you really don't think that jobs like fry cook or cashier, etc. deserve a living wage, than businesses shouldn't place such time demands on those positions. Businesses shouldn't be allowed to depend on hiring practices that treat people as cogs or robots. If you can't pay for someone to live you don't deserve all of their working time.

Why should that single & childless person be the rule, and not the exception? Any position that requires over 25-30 hours a week should pay a higher wage and provide health benefits. If you really don't think that jobs like fry cook or cashier, etc. deserve a living wage, than businesses shouldn't place such time demands on those positions. Businesses shouldn't be allowed to depend on hiring practices that treat people as cogs or robots. If you can't pay for someone to live you don't deserve all of their working time.

Obamacare basically requires what you are talking about, and it has resulted in a decrease of full-time jobs and an increase in part-time jobs. The people who lose out in that situation are those who saw their hours cut because the employer realizes that the job is fungible and there is minimal difference between one full-time employee and two part-time employees for that job.

To answer your bolded question, it is because the employer is only hiring one person. The employer isn't hiring the entire family, and isn't responsible for whatever life choices the employee made or didn't make. If wife and kids want to get paid, they can show up and work as well.

Gotta break a few eggs to change the system. Many, many businesses already limit employees to part time, 32 hr/week anyway to avoid paying benefits, grocery stores are notorious for it.

My fiancee and I have been trying to eat cheaper for about four weeks now. We set a budget of $100 a week, but have been coming under it at about $80 a week. We don't pay a huge amount of attention to perfect nutrition, but we have been eating much healthier than if we had been dining out as much like before.

It helps a bunch if you have a slow cooker though.

I put some Raisin Bran in the slower cooker last night with some milk. Cooked it on 275 degrees for eleven hours. Perfect this morning at breakfast.

My fiancee and I have been trying to eat cheaper for about four weeks now. We set a budget of $100 a week, but have been coming under it at about $80 a week. We don't pay a huge amount of attention to perfect nutrition, but we have been eating much healthier than if we had been dining out as much like before.

It helps a bunch if you have a slow cooker though.

Helps that you two are like a combined 250 lbs too

I put some Raisin Bran in the slower cooker last night with some milk. Cooked it on 275 degrees for eleven hours. Perfect this morning at breakfast.

Didn't realize you could straight cook milk like that

Seriously. How do you eat for $80 per week for two people?

1,500 calories a day of fresh fruits, vegetables, eggs, chicken. Cut out red meat, booze, processed foods and most importantly labor, and watch your grocery bill (and bmi) shrink. If you know how to cook, you can eat really well on $10.00 per day. Roast vegetables alone are game changers.

Typical breakfast:
Two eggs (I have chickens, but if this costs you more than a quarter, you're paying too much).
1/3 of a potato diced and 1/4 of an onion sliced, handful of spinach leaves, palm-full of mushrooms; all sautéed before adding the egg mix, plus pinch of cheddar cheese and splash of salsa (or this time of year, diced backyard tomatoes)
Maybe $1.50, total.

Snack:
One lowfat fruit yogurt/ or bananas+almont
$1.00

Lunch:
Three slices of turkey lunchmeat, slice of provolone, handful of spinach leaves, HT 140 calorie whole wheat wrap and dollop of Deli mustard. One apple.
MAYBE $1.50

Snack:
Hard boiled egg
$0.15

Dinner:
8 oz chicken breast, fresh from the HT case ($1.00) Note that there are 1,000 ways to prep this, best being pounded flat, seasoned, and stuffed with minced garlic and feta cheese ($0.75)
Bag of steamed vegetables ($1.00)
Diet Cherry Pepsi ($0.50)
Microwaved sweet potato ($0.75)
Subtotal $4.50

Daily Total: $8.00-$9.00, depending on portion sizes. That's as close as I can cut it. No way I could get it to $40.00 for the week.

Last edited:
Back