• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How long a tenure should Steve Forbes be given to make the NCAAs?

How long should Steve Forbes have to make the NCAA tournamnet before a coaching change?

• Total voters
Yeah, this is not a cut and dry question. If we are seeing progress in our program, we keep him. Results matter, but you cannot make decisions based solely upon statistics.

I think once a program has clearly stagnated and is no longer on an upward trajectory is when it's time to move on. Or when the program takes a massive step backwards in a single year. That is clearly not the case at this point in time, and is unlikely to be after next year either.

While making NCAAs is clearly the most important benchmark to judge a NCAA basketball program by, it's not as simple as this poll implies. It shouldn't be that he gets X number of years to make the tournament or else he's out of here, and if he does make the tournament he gets to stick around. Hell, that line of thinking is why Manning got a contract extension, and we all know how that worked out.

tony bennet took awhile to warm up. that seems to have worked out reasonably well.

eh, we had 2 nba players on the team last year and got whooped in 3rd round of the NIT

Danny Manning had 2 NBA players in 2017-18 and went 4-15 vs the ACC

Danny Manning had 3 NBA players in 2018-19 and went 4-15 vs the ACC

Danny Manning had 2 NBA players in 2019-20 and went 6-15 vs the ACC

Normally I'd say 5 for a dumpster fire of our level, but Forbes gets a bonus year for the Covid/NIL combo. Plus we would have been in the tourney last year at any other point in modern ACC history.

Also Forbes is awesome, and if Wake actually fires him a couple years after winning COY it'd make for a brutal search effort.

It seems like most people who are pissed with him are pointing to micro, in game issues; however our macro issues were not only far greater, but more pressing. Recruiting is insane right now and I’m not sure what more could be done by Forbes to improve it. I will bet though that if he continues to get our recruiting back to where it used to a be, a lot of those little on the court issues will start to disappear. I still think the big picture looks on track. I went into the hire thinking that it would take about 8 seasons to overhaul the roster and get our image back, but that was before the transfer portal exploded.

Last edited:
eh, we had 2 nba players on the team last year and got whooped in 3rd round of the NIT
There are only 5 rounds, right? Whooped on the road by a team that should have been in the tournament. That is not something to brag about, but it was a step forward.

I am ForbesIn. I think he does need to add an impact PG and big to make the tournament next year. We were great offensively with Marsh just dunking, so if Forbes hits again on a PG the big does not have to be dynamic on offense.

Normally I'd say 5 for a dumpster fire of our level, but Forbes gets a bonus year for the Covid/NIL combo. Plus we would have been in the tourney last year at any other point in modern ACC history.

Also Forbes is awesome, and if Wake actually fires him a couple years after winning COY it'd make for a brutal search effort.

this...hell, i barely count Forbes' first year due to the BS he inherited from Manning.

eh, we developed* 2 nba players on the team last year and got whooped in 3rd round of the NIT
Fify* Pretty big difference between having 2 guys come back that we know will be drafted following the season and pulling them from programs where nobody in said programs would have ever guessed they'd be in the NBA the next year. You can't fault Forbes for developing talent so well that they get paid.

Back