• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How long a tenure should Steve Forbes be given to make the NCAAs?

How long should Steve Forbes have to make the NCAA tournamnet before a coaching change?

• Total voters
And ffs Dino has been dunzo for a long time. Let it go.

Back to what? We need to realize we have never been a bball power.
Fair. I guess I mean in general, he’s going to bring Wake b-ball back to a time when we could beat anyone in the country. We haven’t been that good in a while. And I agree that we have had flashes but never sustained success. It will be interesting to see if he can cut down nets, because I think that’s his goal. He’s not satisfied with a 25 or 20 win season either. We also haven’t had that in a coach for a long time.

Last edited:
hindsight being [Redacted] and all, a lot of people were on board with a coaching change because Dino’s teams completely shit themselves at the end of each season and we were expecting Wellman, who had a pretty sterling rep at the time, to hire someone who would actually fix that problem. Instead they blew the whole thing up
There was a ton of “Wellman must have (insert Brad Stevens type) lined up to make this decision now,” which made firing Dino seem reasonable until we hired redacted. I legit believed we had some all star coach coming. Also, everyone saying why do we always talk about Wake past is right, but we’re not going to put it in the past until we have something better to discuss. We’re like the Al Bundy fanbase.

What do you mean? They were the only two. Next year the whole rotation could be returners.

Fair. I guess I mean in general, he’s going to bring Wake b-ball back to a time when we could beat anyone in the country. We haven’t been that good in a while. And I agree that we have had flashes but never sustained success. It will be interesting to see if he can cut down nets, because I think that’s his goal. He’s not satisfied with a 25 or 20 win season either. We also haven’t had that in a coach for a long time.

Agree. Forbes has said that 30 wins is the "special" norm, I believe is how he termed it.

And that should be a nice NCAAT run.

overall my biggest concern is this was the year to take advantage of a down ACC, and we couldn't do it. What makes anyone think we can do well in an even decent typical ACC season ?
Yea, this is my concern too. This arguably is as bad as the ACC has ever been and we still couldn’t make the NIT.

Ten years ago, given the run the past three years, I would probably want to see progress next year, probably including an NCAA bid. We were ahead of schedule year 2, took a step back Year 3, and Year 4 should show that the stepback was not permanent. Now? With the way we (have to?) build our roster, we just can't think of it it terms of long-term trends. Every year has been a significant reset, and it's now about getting a large enough sample size to determine floor and ceiling. If the turnover is temporary, we almost have to think of next year as Forbes' Year 1 in terms of developing players long term, since it's just not something we have seen yet.

We've seen enough good from Forbes to have hope. He represents our program well, and I think we play really well together and have had great team chemistry for a group that is mostly just meeting each other for one year. That's saying a lot. Yeah we've had a few games where we haven't shown up-that happens to every team, and we still don't have almost-yearly embarrassing losses to the Presbyterians of the world. My main concern is the roster shortfalls that happen as a result of how our team is built, and whether they can be overcome.

Am I reading this wrong, or do you think Dino got fired after the Cleveland St. game?
Sorry as my memory is going in my old age as I link CSU game as apparent downfall due to the alleged athlete indiscretions occurint around then (if my memory serves correct which clearly it isn’t always!) but yes I left out back to back ncaa appearances with a 2nd round game in his 2nd year to further strengthen the point.

Back