• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How long a tenure should Steve Forbes be given to make the NCAAs?

How long should Steve Forbes have to make the NCAA tournamnet before a coaching change?

• Total voters
Firing Dino was the correct decision just on the basketball front. Hiring Bzmoron was the particularly idiotic blow
You better have a home run hire coming in after that because you are bringing in a coach after firing a coach that was winning games, so his leash is going to be very short.

And some people are still in denial. I'm not going to take the thread title off the rails and respond further. We've been over this ad nauseam for close to 13 years now.
so you don't know anything, thanks for confirming

we haven't received a shred of legitimate info in 13 years. the closest thing that i've heard to a truth is that Dino got into hot water with the AD for trying to subvert expectations for athletics admissions.

it's pathetic and weird that so many people are still just willfully spreading rumors about a guy who hasn't coached at wake since in over a decade.

we haven't received a shred of legitimate info in 13 years. the closest thing that i've heard to a truth is that Dino got into hot water with the AD for trying to subvert expectations for athletics admissions.

it's pathetic and weird that so many people are still just willfully spreading rumors about a guy who hasn't coached at wake since in over a decade.
Well, you are arguing with a guy that wanted to keep [Redacted] and Manning. So...

well, there was no guaranteed star player returning the last two seasons either.

I would add Bobi Klintman as a starter next year. he has been pulling a lot of minutes the last 8, or so, games and is averaging around 8-9 ppg.

I would agree that we don't have a "go to guy" looking at next year, but one usually emerges when needed (i hope).

prior to his injury, i really thought Monsanto would get to shine next year...really feel bad for the kid.
Bobi's splits are pretty cool:

he's averaging 7.7 ppg (50% 2FG, 41% 3FG, 71% FT), 6.6 rpg, 1.1 apg (1.6 TO), and 1.3 bpg in 27.2 mpg in 7 games in February

that sets a nice baseline for his sophomore year expectations, imo

i kind of doubt that he can his his per 40 numbers next year, but we'll see:

9.9 pp40, 8.3 rp40, 1.6 ap40 (1.8 TOp40), 0.8 sp40, and 1.0 bp40

needless to say, Bobi's ceiling is really high, and I'm happy that the fanbase didn't quit on him during his totally predictable slump at the start of the conference schedule

Firing Dino was the correct decision just on the basketball front. Hiring Bzmoron was the particularly idiotic blow
You clearly don't remember the bball front well. How many ACC coaches get fired after taking their team to top 5 in the country during season, #2 seed in their conf. tourney and makes the NCAA tourney as a # 2 seed? Please show me another coach that had anywhere near that resume that was fired. Yes it was a very bad upset and we tailed off at the end, but our D showed tremendous improvement. It was a joke how it was spun and even a worse joke that the next 10 years saw us bottom of the barrel in the league and no one fired. There should have been a firing for 10 straight seasons (maybe a bit harsh for Manning after year 1 given the dumpster fire he inherited from Bzzboy), but Wellman completely torched his legacy with one of the most incompetent handlings of a major rev. sport.

You clearly don't remember the bball front well. How many ACC coaches get fired after taking their team to top 5 in the country during season, #2 seed in their conf. tourney and makes the NCAA tourney as a # 2 seed? Please show me another coach that had anywhere near that resume that was fired. Yes it was a very bad upset and we tailed off at the end, but our D showed tremendous improvement. It was a joke how it was spun and even a worse joke that the next 10 years saw us bottom of the barrel in the league and no one fired. There should have been a firing for 10 straight seasons (maybe a bit harsh for Manning after year 1 given the dumpster fire he inherited from Bzzboy), but Wellman completely torched his legacy with one of the most incompetent handlings of a major rev. sport.
none

firing dino will never make any sense with the benefit of hindsight, but it basically didn't make any sense at the time either. if you remove all of the outright lies that Wellman spilled to his brown-nosing plants, then it legitimately makes no sense

numbers was also like 15 at that time, iirc

Dino never should have been hired. He should have been appointed interim Head Coach after Skip died. He only got the job because of sentimentality and fear of losing the recruiting class. Which were terrible reasons to give him the job.

Dino never should have been hired. He should have been appointed interim Head Coach after Skip died. He only got the job because of sentimentality and fear of losing the recruiting class. Which were terrible reasons to give him the job.
i mean...he did pretty well at it.

I know at least one person at Wake who was not a Wellman plant who had direct involvement with Dino who did not like him and states that he was not well-liked amongst a good number of Wake campus professionals. Not a rumor.

Am I reading this wrong, or do you think Dino got fired after the Cleveland St. game?

I know at least one person at Wake who was not a Wellman plant who had direct involvement with Dino who did not like him and states that he was not well-liked amongst a good number of Wake campus professionals. Not a rumor.
I heard the same from people I knew. But not being liked is not a fireable offense.

I heard the same from people I knew. But not being liked is not a fireable offense.
and a far cry from the rumors i've seen spread on wake boards (many of which are offensively awful)

eta: i've heard the same things, fwiw.

I was a big Dino hater at the time, it was a fairly common position. But yeah, IIRC even at the time there was some puzzlement around why you'd fire him that year instead of letting him hang himself the following season, which led to some crazy speculation around big names when we got [Redacted].

For the survey here, I said five years but also in the "in depends." Last year's 35th finish in KennyPom and Bart was a good season which basically means as much as a low NCAA seed to me. But a bunch more bad seasons would not be great if paired with a continued lack of top 100 recruits.

Last edited:
Years after Dino was fired someone who was in the AD when he was fired said he was not well liked. The worst story he had was that Dino parked illegally on campus and would not stop and would not pay his tickets. A far cry from the rumors that were circulated.

hindsight being [Redacted] and all, a lot of people were on board with a coaching change because Dino’s teams completely shit themselves at the end of each season and we were expecting Wellman, who had a pretty sterling rep at the time, to hire someone who would actually fix that problem. Instead they blew the whole thing up

I mean what coach wants to come into a situation where the previous coach was fired after winning 2/3rds of his games?

I thought Dino would have a tough fourth season, but I thought he had earned the right to do so.

Back