• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How long a tenure should Steve Forbes be given to make the NCAAs?

How long should Steve Forbes have to make the NCAA tournamnet before a coaching change?

• Total voters
Lots of freaking out as if people are calling for Forbes to be fired immediately but 80% of the responses call for 5 or more years. Everyone understands that he should and will get plenty of time. That doesn’t mean we can’t look at some of these crap performances and say man we really played like shit.
Yea, this is kinda where I am. I love Forbes and would be devastated were he to leave for any reason, but I can't shake the feeling that with the ACC historically weak and the transfer portal as accessible as ever, our roster construction isn't quite where it could be and that we'll look back on the last 2 years as a missed opportunity.

Yea, this is kinda where I am. I love Forbes and would be devastated were he to leave for any reason, but I can't shake the feeling that with the ACC historically weak and the transfer portal as accessible as ever, our roster construction isn't quite where it could be and that we'll look back on the last 2 years as a missed opportunity.
Yeah idk maybe I’m just conditioned by years of crushing disappointment but I feel like we are in a risky spot heading into next year. Monsanto obviously hurt now and hopefully will come back and be 100% healthy. A key member of our guard rotation and possibly starting PG has never played at this level. Carr, Hildreth and Klintman really the only other proven contributors at this level and each obviously has areas of development. We will need one or more outstanding transfer gets and even then I don’t see a guaranteed tournament team.

I voted 5 years, but I consider this year his 3rd year. But, the dude is cool as shit, and I really don't give a fuck anymore, so I'd say give him a lifetime guarantee and let's see where the chips fall. He clearly knows what he's doing.

This is the correect answer. Do any of you tools that would to move on from Forbes understand how incredibly difficult it would be to get any kind of a quality coach to come here if Currie went insane for a few hours and shit canned Forbes? It would be impossible and we might as well shut the program down or move to the Socon.

I like the other post where its mentioned that Wake has won 25 games in a season 5 times and Forbes is 1 of those 5. The dude can fuckin coach!

I understand what you’re getting at. And in no way shape or form should Forbes seat be anything but ice cold right now. But in your scenario I think there would still be a whole lot of up and coming coaches who’d leap at the chance to take the reins here. There is a sort of vacuum in the ACC that’s waiting for another team or two to fill it. Huge opportunity.

Now would Currie pick the right up and coming coach? We’ll never know, because this scenario will never come to pass. Forbes is likely going to do what he was hired to do and make us fill that vacuum as one of the ACC’s nationally relevant teams.

247 doesn’t have rankings for the 2007 class for some reason but I bet Teague, Johnson, and Skeen were all 4 stars.
If you're looking at 247, their historical records suck.

Aminu, Walker, and Woods were all 4+ stars in 2008 (Aminu 5*).
2010 had Derosiers, Tabb, McKie, and Terrell all 4*s on Scout / Rivals.
I thought the Sensational Seven would get there, but its just CMM and Moto. And a bunch of 3*s
2016 had Moore and Crawford as consensus 4*s, and Collins was a 4* on ESPN
2018 had Hoard and Mucius as consensus 4*s, plus Sharone Wright (4* on ESPN), Jamie Lewis (4* on Rivals) and Michael Wynn (4* on Rivals). I don't recognize half of these guys.

I’m Team “as long as we’re progressing,” he stays. That said, this is the same fanbase (like literally the exact same people, including me, bc we haven’t exactly added to the group), who were all in on replacing Odom after an NCAA appearance and Dino after winning an NCAA first round game. Not to mention that’s when the ACC was actually the gold standard. I like Forbes but our expectations have been adjusted to the extreme.
You were all in on firing Dino?

Lots of us were. We were aware of things that had happened in the background. We just weren't vindicated until certain things came to light in the past two years.

Lots of us were. We were aware of things that had happened in the background. We just weren't vindicated until certain things came to light in the past two years.
This makes no sense. Nothing that Dino did at Louisville has anything to do with his time at Wake.

If you know something, then feel free to share it. Otherwise, please kindly quit being a clown.

Bz and Manning should have both been fired after year 2 and 3 tops as there never was any inkling of hope with getting top recruits and on the court was regularly a disaster which ever one clearly saw except a blind few on this board. Was comical how folks continued to defend them when they were topping all kinds of losing records that were first both @ WF and for ACC. I do think Forbes is a 1000x more likeable and relatable with players than either of his predecessors and seems he is able to get good players via portal and now HS recruits are looking much better. Given he inherited an absolute dumpster fire along with first year was covid nuttiness I think he should get one more to show he can coach up a good D and make NCAA tourney. If can't meet both of those requirements its time to move on and look for the next hotshot.

Yeah idk maybe I’m just conditioned by years of crushing disappointment but I feel like we are in a risky spot heading into next year. Monsanto obviously hurt now and hopefully will come back and be 100% healthy. A key member of our guard rotation and possibly starting PG has never played at this level. Carr, Hildreth and Klintman really the only other proven contributors at this level and each obviously has areas of development. We will need one or more outstanding transfer gets and even then I don’t see a guaranteed tournament team.
We 100% are in a risky spot. If we don't have another great transfer class, we are not going to be particularly good. We could improve, and still miss the tournament, like State likely will this season.

We have no proven point-guard, big or shooter on the team anymore. This is assuming Monsanto is not healthy to start the season.

We need a Alondes/Sy/Walton type transfer class at minimum to be competitive for the tournament. And that is assuming one of the freshman/Taylor/Monsanto is ready to be the shooter. If not, we need to find one. That is a lot to ask for one off-season.

I am already sort of looking towards Year 5 as the last chance to put something together, unless RTQ really makes its presence known this off season. We should know right away.

A lot of people love Forbes, not sure they are facing the reality of what next season could look like if we don't dominate the transfer portal. I don't think any of this is dooming, it's just a realistic look at next season.

There is no guaranteed star player coming back. Cam, Carr, Marsh/Bradford are our returning healthy starters right now.

We 100% are in a risky spot. If we don't have another great transfer class, we are not going to be particularly good. We could improve, and still miss the tournament, like State likely will this season.

We have no proven point-guard, big or shooter on the team anymore. This is assuming Monsanto is not healthy to start the season.

We need a Alondes/Sy/Walton type transfer class at minimum to be competitive for the tournament. And that is assuming one of the freshman/Taylor/Monsanto is ready to be the shooter. If not, we need to find one. That is a lot to ask for one off-season.

I am already sort of looking towards Year 5 as the last chance to put something together, unless RTQ really makes its presence known this off season. We should know right away.

A lot of people love Forbes, not sure they are facing the reality of what next season could look like if we don't dominate the transfer portal. I don't think any of this is dooming, it's just a realistic look at next season.

There is no guaranteed star player coming back. Cam, Carr, Marsh/Bradford are our returning healthy starters right now.
Good post. It’s tough to see next year’s team having a better shot at the tournament absent complete domination of the transfer portal.

Good post. It’s tough to see next year’s team having a better shot at the tournament absent complete domination of the transfer portal.
I don't think it's that dire. Really just need Appleby 2.0. And he doesn't need to be that good. Minimum is an ACC level serviceable point guard.

This makes no sense. Nothing that Dino did at Louisville has anything to do with his time at Wake.

If you know something, then feel free to share it. Otherwise, please kindly quit being a clown.
And some people are still in denial. I'm not going to take the thread title off the rails and respond further. We've been over this ad nauseam for close to 13 years now.

I'm hoping Forbes works his magic in the off season to get at least one good big and PG out of the portal. He's done all of this before. He can do it again.

I voted 5 years, but I consider this year his 3rd year. But, the dude is cool as shit, and I really don't give a fuck anymore, so I'd say give him a lifetime guarantee and let's see where the chips fall. He clearly knows what he's doing.
I voted 5 as well, although I could see longer as long as we continue to be competitive. His entry came in the time of covid, and he's demonstrated he can coach, something his 2 predecessors could not do. His recruiting has lagged, but he's been good at using the portal the last 2 seasons. I think his floor is similar to Brownell and think he has a higher ceiling than Brad because he's at a historically better hoops program. With impending retirements at ND this year, then Cuse, Miami and FSU, and with Duke and UNC underachieving, I'm hopeful the recruiting will pick up.

And some people are still in denial. I'm not going to take the thread title off the rails and respond further. We've been over this ad nauseam for close to 13 years now.

I'm hoping Forbes works his magic in the off season to get at least one good big and PG out of the portal. He's done all of this before. He can do it again.
The ad nauseam is the constant vague insinuation without going on the record.

well, there was no guaranteed star player returning the last two seasons either.

I would add Bobi Klintman as a starter next year. he has been pulling a lot of minutes the last 8, or so, games and is averaging around 8-9 ppg.

I would agree that we don't have a "go to guy" looking at next year, but one usually emerges when needed (i hope).

prior to his injury, i really thought Monsanto would get to shine next year...really feel bad for the kid.

Back