• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How long will it take Wake Basketball to be relevant again?

Immediately, as soon as that handsome devil Brad Stevens responds and takes a job here. Hes a dreamboat. Wellman should offer him a billion dollars a year.

Start a big fight against Duke and we're instantly relevant.

99% of the country will love us.

The biggest thing working against Wake basketball is Wake football. As long as Grobe makes it to bowl games, Wellman is probably safe, so Wellman will get his guy, so BzzzzIn.

IMO that's pretty close to being accurate unless we get really lucky with the next coach and/or get a super recruit like Duncan, both of which are doubtful. We'll have to rebuild program momentum which isn't easy at Wake, that's why I think everyone is worried. It feels like we are digging a deeper and deeper hole which will then take that much more time to get out of.

The over-reaction to whatever Dino did (which is still unclear to me) is going to cost us for a long long time. I never understood all the anger towards the guy but regardless, I'd rather watch his teams play than what we're watching on the court now. Bzz just doesn't seem to motivate them at all.

Odom finished third in the conference and made the tournament in year 2, and was in the Sweet 16 by year 4. It's certainly possible to make a quick turnaround after a bad coach, but you have to make a big recruiting splash right away.

This question will really hinge on the 2013 recruiting class. Early returns from the 2011 class have not been promising, and, while 2012 looks good, that class alone isn't going to be able to elevate us to prominence if it's sandwiched by two mediocre groups.

Odom finished third in the conference and made the tournament in year 2, and was in the Sweet 16 by year 4. It's certainly possible to make a quick turnaround after a bad coach, but you have to make a big recruiting splash right away.

This question will really hinge on the 2013 recruiting class. Early returns from the 2011 class have not been promising, and, while 2012 looks good, that class alone isn't going to be able to elevate us to prominence if it's sandwiched by two mediocre groups.
It's possible if you are lucky enough to recruit a player who can take over games from day 1...like a Rogers or Duncan...or snag a great coach like Brad Stevens. I don't think just having a big solid class like 2012 will do that by itself even with a solid coach. That would get us back to NCAA bubble status like the Odom years without Duncan or Rogers.

We'd then be back at the point of getting over the next hump...that of attracting that great coach or talent. I don't think that's going to happen any time soon. We blew all our bball cred. I don't see top talent longing to play at Wake after watching games like last night. The further away from success, the harder it will be to rekindle.

Odom had two NBA players (King and Tucker) and a competent point guard (McQueen) on his roster on Day 1. A bit of a difference in my opinion unless Ari, JTT, and McKie all wind up in the NBA for however long of a period.

1-2 years. next season we will again struggle and have youth as our reason for our struggles. i am just not sure if you can use that 3 or 4 straight seasons but i think Bzzz will try!

Odom had two NBA players (King and Tucker) and a competent point guard (McQueen) on his roster on Day 1. A bit of a difference in my opinion unless Ari, JTT, and McKie all wind up in the NBA for however long of a period.

I'm not comparing Odom to Bzz, I'm talking about how long it will take for our next coach to make us relevant. Have pretty much written that off with the Bzzster.

To answer the question, I think it at least partially depends on when Bz is fired. If he's fired after this season (which is extremely doubtful to happen), the recovery time could be fairly quick if we hired the right coach. We have a big and solid class coming in next year. No burger boys but solid. Keep those guys and sign a couple of real good players in 2013, and I think we'd be well on our way to relevancy. Especially in a down ACC - when Leonard Hamilton is your 3rd-5th best coach, you have a problem as a conference.

But the longer Bz sticks around winning 10-12 games per year, the more difficult it will become. He'll be viewed as dead man walking by recruits and it'll be increasingly hard to duplicate his 2012 recruiting in 2013-14. Then it really could be several years to achieve relevance.

I'd bet we win 15 this year, 19 next year to the NIT, then an NCAA trip as a mid seed when Travis is a senior.

If we can get even one great player in the next recruiting class, whether it's a scoring guard or a big man, we'd be a 4 seed or better the following year. If [Redacted] loses the momentum of next year's class and we don't see improvement, I think a big time coach would see us as a very attractive job as opposed to the disaster that awaited Bzz.

The good news is that if we don't have any postseason success during the [Redacted] rebuild after year 4, Wellman can use the exact same reason to fire him and move on that he used with Dino. And at that point, just as quickly as we fell apart under poor coaching and recruiting since 2010, we could be one player and some good leadership away from being back into the top 20 the very next year.

I am worried about UVA, they could get really good.

15 was pushing it before we lost to Wofford. that would require us going 6-10 in the ACC or winning a tourney game.

I'd bet we win 15 this year, 19 next year to the NIT, then an NCAA trip as a mid seed when Travis is a senior.

This team is not capable of winning 6 ACC games this year. At best, we might win three. BC, GT and Clemson all at home and that's a stretch.

Back