• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How many more school shootings before the NRA allows common sense?

I get the NRA opposition, but are there are real people in the world that are against expanded background checks?

back a few pages ago, I inserted an excerpt from a conversation I was having with a gun nut. She defended the status quo by saying that any increased checks for current/future gun owners would only be more hoops to jump through, ultimately punishing 'the good guys' and that 'the bad guys' will just go buy their guns illegally instead.

yeah, because everyone just has a hook-up with an illegal gun dealer... :rolleyes:

back a few pages ago, I inserted an excerpt from a conversation I was having with a gun nut. She defended the status quo by saying that any increased checks for current/future gun owners would only be more hoops to jump through, ultimately punishing 'the good guys' and that 'the bad guys' will just go buy their guns illegally instead.

yeah, because everyone just has a hook-up with an illegal gun dealer... :rolleyes:

The way a large number of "bad guys" buy guns "illegally" is from "good guys" in private sales or at gun shows.

How do good guys with guns tell each other apart from bad guys with guns?

They envision this world in which everybody is openly carrying guns to protect themselves from people with guns.

If someone walks into a restaurant open carrying an AR-15, how do the good guys open carrying their guns know if he’s a good guy or bad guy?

My proposals (initial thoughts, not necessarily exhaustive):
- Fix the existing reporting and background check systems so they work as intended
- no delivery of purchased guns at a gun show - you can shop and order but the gun has to be delivered later, after the background check is complete
- Purchase of certain well-defined categories of semi-automatic rifles (maybe defined by muzzle velocity, caliber, other features that approximate an "assault rifle" and not a hunting rifle) are subject to a process similar to that used currently for suppressors. Private sales of those same weapons have to be registered or seller is responsible for whatever happens downstream.
- voluntary buyback program for all assault rifles and handguns - pay at least market price. Fund it with an increased tax on all firearm purchases.

I'm torn on the concept of "hardening" schools as a target. You hate for students to have to learn in an environment with metal detectors, armed guards, etc., but, a lot of public gathering places are like that...

At the elementary school where my kids, to get in you have to be buzzed into the office and then you have to sign in before you get buzzed through another door into the main school area. I don't know how a shooter would ever get in.
-

i’m sure it would be real tough to trick sally the front desk worker

Do you think private schools will “harden” themselves?

i’m sure it would be real tough to trick sally the front desk worker

In fact, it would. You have to scan your valid ID and get a badge with our picture on it to get in. Plus they pretty much know everyone that has business in the school. Now if a parent of one of the kids goes nuts and wants to come in and shoot the place up, it wouldn't stop them. But it would be very difficult for a stranger with no real business there otherwise to get in.

The internet fact machine says 28% of burglaries that occur a family member is home, of all Home invasions 7% turn violent but 65% of those the victim knows the offender so the whole thing gets murky.

https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/vdhb.pdf

This shows the full numbers and how they work. 93k victims of violent crimes during home burglaries by strangers (that assumes the 7.4% is all stangers).

Some other interesting tidbits... burglary rates fall dramatically and quickly based on household income. If your income is above $75k, you are 1/4 less likely than average to be burglarized and 2/3 less likely than the lowest income bracket (<$7500).

Last edited:
As we probably always expected, after a couple of weeks, the NRA will win the day. It looks like nothing will happen. RW cowards in DC ensure this result.

Well kids, register to vote and vote. It's our only hope.

In fact, it would. You have to scan your valid ID and get a badge with our picture on it to get in. Plus they pretty much know everyone that has business in the school. Now if a parent of one of the kids goes nuts and wants to come in and shoot the place up, it wouldn't stop them. But it would be very difficult for a stranger with no real business there otherwise to get in.

we’re trying to stop people with guns. scanning an ID isn’t going to help.

I drive by that place pretty frequently and never see any activity of any sort there. It’s the damndest thing. The campus is huge, awesome facilities, but seems like a ghost town. Maybe it’s some sort of front.

I drive by that place pretty frequently and never see any activity of any sort there. It’s the damndest thing. The campus is huge, awesome facilities, but seems like a ghost town. Maybe it’s some sort of front.

I've taken a tour. It's pretty impressive. Uses geothermal heating. Every material used on the premises is either from NC or Israel. Of course it's $42,000/yr for boarding students.

re: hardening schools, will we position snipers on overwatch of all playgrounds?

after we restrict access to the buildings themselves, we need to make sure no one can take up a concealed position within 300 meters of the playground

re: hardening schools, will we position snipers on overwatch of all playgrounds?

after we restrict access to the buildings themselves, we need to make sure no one can take up a concealed position within 300 meters of the playground

Put the kids in charge of their own security. Set up a real life tower defense game and let the kids earn virtual currency they can use to "build" their own gun tower. They can control them with an app.

Back