• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How much does Duke suck? Less than us apparently...

Disappointed that Clawson put this out there in post-game as an excuse. That’s part of what he and his staff get paid to do; avoid the letdown and keep the squad motivated (not to mention scheme appropriately).
The big enchilada was there to be had and we totally gagged on it. They were not ready and that is mostly on the shoulders of the coaching staff.

Yeah, we've won 8 games in a season 6 times in 110 years. We've won 9 or more twice (one 9 win and one 11 win season). Dook just had more to play for.

So Wake Forest. Clawson wants to truly build a program, you win this game.

Our historical competitiveness in in football makes this loss no big deal.

I would ask you to watch and compare the offense’s performance against a superior NCSU defense last week with today’s performance. 180 degree difference in tempo, energy, run game effectiveness, etc. We were not well prepared and got totally shut down the 2nd half today. You and I see things differently (and I respect that “22”).

I haven’t followed Duke much this year, but their defensive backs looked a lot better than State’s IMO. This wasn’t a good matchup for us. I think the schedule has taken a lot out of us. It’s been brutal. We got beat by a pretty good defense today and our defense has been struggling for weeks. We had to score more than 30 to win and we didn’t.

I haven’t followed Duke much this year, but their defensive backs looked a lot better than State’s IMO. This wasn’t a good matchup for us. I think the schedule has taken a lot out of us. It’s been brutal. We got beat by a pretty good defense today and our defense has been struggling for weeks. We had to score more than 30 to win and we didn’t.

Our schedule was not much different than any other team in the Atlantic Division and we had a well timed bye in the middle of the season. Also right before the GT game I might add. Today we just didn’t come out in the 2nd half with the offensive fire that we had in the first half. Duke played like the team needing to get to a bowl. We don’t need excuses. Coach Clawson didn’t give them today! We played well in November for once & won 2 games to get to 7 wins. Now we can rest up, study for exams, then come out ready for our bowl game!

Our DBs gave them the 5 yd pass every down. I mean every down. At least on my side of the field that is what was happening (visitors side).

Also, I’m too lazy to scroll back through the game thread but that interception that looked like a simultaneous catch happened 15 yards from me and it looked like a simultaneous catch. The TV must have showed something different since they said replay confirmed the call. Can someone who watched the replay tell me what the deal was with that call?

It was a simultaneous catch at worst.

Really lazy from the ACC saying the Daniel Jones catch-turned-INT and that play were “confirmed.” Of course the Jones play couldn’t possibly be overturned and that play definitely could’ve been. I could’ve accepted call stands I guess, but no way in hell was that clearly a pick

And they were getting to John. We gave up no sacks to State’s very good D-line, but Duke’s was getting pressure. Did we get orders from the league to help Duke get bowl eligible?

lolololololololol

holy shit is this for real?

noticed greg dortch liked this tweet. idk if he has anything against hinton but hopefully theres no drama for next year

ttps://twitter.com/ATLDeacs/status/934520185582649344

I don't know how anyone could look at ACC stats and not see our defense has been a fucking problem for weeks. We simply can't get people off the field on third down. Clawson has also talked about it for weeks. We have work to do in the off season on the defense in addition to replacing our starting QB. The stats further indicate the strength of the Duke defense. We lost this game in the first half when our punter was playing out of his mind. We had excellent field position and did not take advantage. The offense just could not make up for the constant third down plays Duke was making. We have had a year better than most thought. Calm the fuck down.

I don't know how anyone could look at ACC stats and not see our defense has been a fucking problem for weeks. We simply can't get people off the field on third down. Clawson has also talked about it for weeks. We have work to do in the off season on the defense in addition to replacing our starting QB. The stats further indicate the strength of the Duke defense. We lost this game in the first half when our punter was playing out of his mind. We had excellent field position and did not take advantage. The offense just could not make up for the constant third down plays Duke was making. We have had a year better than most thought. Calm the fuck down.

Eh, it's lazy to just blame it on the defense. You said yourself we had excellent field position in the first half and did not take advantage.

Agree that we had a better season than anticipated. Let's hope for a win in a nice bowl to go out on a high note.

Agreed. I was at the game and with the exception of a couple plays, the DB's were right with our receivers. Kudos to Duke (pains me to say that) they did a good job. It also hurts to hear that they've won 5 of the last 6 (is that right?) and see their fans dry humping each other at our stadium. I know how this Duke series is and was expecting a close game, although I thought Wake would win. I was a little concerned when I saw how Duke handled Ga. Tech. It's the only game I've been able to get to this year and there wasn't a lot of energy in the stadium with the exception of TD's and big plays. Decent crowd though for a Thanksgiving weekend game.

In a league of evenly matched teams, and the ACC was closer to that then I can ever remember, it's hard to maintain your best level of play dealing with injuries and such.

GT looked great early in the year lost some tough games and fell apart at the end after beating VT.
Duke looked like worldbeaters for their 1st 3 or 4, lost 6 in a row, and then got their mojo back for the last two.
Wake's offense looked as good as I have ever seen it from the 2nd half of the ND game through halftime of the state game.
Even Pitt beat Miami and Syracuse beat Clemson, and neither of those teams are bowl eligible.

Ruggerio should burn his exception speech for the Broyles award, like he had a chance. Running up to the LOS, and quick snapping it, when out guys aren't ready is horrible. Hinton series lasted just over 2 minutes. When you defense is sucking wind, you don't go Chip Kelly on them. Sacrifice your cleverness (Read option on one), to save your defense. The second half should be an embarrassing thing for a Bowl committee to watch.

Our DBs gave them the 5 yd pass every down. I mean every down. At least on my side of the field that is what was happening (visitors side).

We have been doing that all year. Kudos to Cutcliffe for playing to win by being aggressive on third and long and going for it on 4fh downs. Playing to win.

Push Hinton a LOT.

If I am remembering correctly Newman didn't have good numbers in high school so why do you think they will be that much better in college? I may be wrong though but I thought I remembered his hand stats being not that impressive

If I am remembering correctly Newman didn't have good numbers in high school so why do you think they will be that much better in college? I may be wrong though but I thought I remembered his hand stats being not that impressive

I’m just hoping we do not have a major, only moderate, drop off at QB as the rest of our team (little worried about LB and PK too) appears very solid NY.

Maybe even good enough to finally beat the Duke Crimson Tide.

I’m just hoping we do not have a major, only moderate, drop off at QB as the rest of our team (little worried about LB and PK too) appears very solid NY.

Maybe even good enough to finally beat the Duke Crimson Tide.

I really don’t think we will. Hinton has shown he can be good and he is more dangerous runner than Wolford. They may have about the same straightforward speed, but Hinton has more elusiveness. If Hinton is given the full playbook, I think he can be really good. I also think Newman has a lot of potential. Size, arm strength and athleticism are really good, so it will be a matter of his development.

It was a shame John had such a forgettable game to end his career at home with, but hopefully the State and Louisville games will overshadow it.

Back