• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How poor were you in college?

College was '01-'05 for me, granted I had my rent and on campus food paid for, but I was able to live off $1000/semester and that included $500 fraternity dues.
I have no idea how I did it. I can remember going out to the bar and thinking that a $25 bar tab was a big night out though.
I got $500 for my 21st birthday and I feel like I lived like a king for a month off that money...can't even have a big weekend for $500 anymore. (whitepeopleproblems)

Granted I had my rent and on campus food paid for, but I was able to live off $1000/semester and that included $500 fraternity dues.
I have no idea how I did it. I can remember going out to the bar and thinking that a $25 bar tab was a big night out though.
I got $500 for my 21st birthday and I feel like I lived like a king for a month off that money...can't even have a big weekend for $500 anymore. (whitepeopleproblems)

Does this include books?

I had a friend who made friends with all of the cashiers in the pit. He'd load up his tray with food at 7 pm and they'd charge him for a small Pepsi.

I had a friend who made friends with all of the cashiers in the pit. He'd load up his tray with food at 7 pm and they'd charge him for a small Pepsi.

RIP a la carte Pit (not that I was ever there for that)

Our best scheme was Steak n Shake. And almost always between the hours of midnight and 4am.

They started handing out these wooden nickels every time you dined in and had a $10+ bill. One wooden nickel = regular size steakburger with cheese. Also, every receipt had where you review your visit, and get like $2 off your next visit.

One day drunk, one of our friends sees the wooden nickels and just goes for it, grabbing around a 100 of them and carrying them in his shirt, no exaggeration. We also would always keep that coupon but rather than doing the review, we just made up a 4-digit number each time.

Down to a science, we could order a double steakburger with cheese and a side of fries and it would cost us 26 cents each. This lasted all throughout our sophomore year until when returning for our junior year, we find out that they completely cleaned house, bringing in all new employees and discontinuing the wooden nickel program.

buckets should just retitle this thread "petty crimes you committed in college"

I had to print up Phish Tees and sell them in the lot to cover my trips (pun intended).

We had to all pitch in five bucks a night for a party sack instead of getting our own.

My freshman dorm was not cable TV ready, and my sophomore roommate did not have a TV....so basically no TV for me until Junior year.

I had a N64 in 1999 for entertainment.

I was on the meal plan all 4 years, but then again we had no canteen or outside vendors in the cafeteria.

My senior year we had a trash pile in the corner of the room. Basically it was our recycling center and was finally cleared by parents when they came to move us out after graduation.

I had a N64 in 2006 for entertainment. Super Smash Bros. was the only game played in the suite.

I am fairly sure I was the only guy from 99-04 to never own a cell phone or car while I was in college.

I was poor until second semester junior year when I realized that Student loans saved funds for living expenses and I had accrued 5 semesters worth. When they cut me a check for $6,500 I made an epic best buy run and bought a home entertainment center, playstation, TV and the works.

Also worked at Pizza Hut about 12 hours a week which was good for $12/hour which seemed to keep me in beer money.

Where were you guys finding all of these awesome coups? I don't remember a lot floating around campus. I didn't eat out a whole bunch until senior year, though.

I call BS, you spent an entire summer sharing a mattress with "a friend from high school."

Oh wait, you were talking about going to restaurants. Nevermind.

I defs used to steal shit from benson, mostly just drinks. It was also such bs that they would charge you for the sauces from chick fil a, so I'd put those in my pockets before going up to the cash register.

Didn't know you though I think we were at MSD around the same time. I lived off of Benson Center meals costing me .52 (small coffee) my last 3 years. Bean burritos and grilled cheese combos ftw.

I also had no cell phone (00-04) and didn't get a car until my Senior year. That summer before I saved a car payment+insurance/week so I could afford to pay for it that school year. My work study job covered about $200-$250/month in off-campus expenses/gas and the rest went on credit Cards or student loans. Somehow I scraped together enough cash to go to Vegas for post-exams senior year. It was a shame because I really didn't haven enough dough to have a good time.

There was this baller dude at the quizno's/dunkin donuts/baskin robbins, that if you were paying cash any sub you got plus drink/chips was 5 bucks. Although for some reason he always put that money in his pocket and not the register.

buckets should just retitle this thread "petty crimes you committed in college"

My roommate and I once decided to quit smoking and drinking and ending it with a bang of a case of busch light and an epic mario kart 64 and conkers bad fur day session. By about 2 we ran out of beer and we weren't quite done so made a run to pick up some more. Went to the circle K near daytonas and they wouldn't sell to us after 2PM. So my roommate said

Roommate: "Lets go to the over circle K, I know they'll sell it there"
Palmab03: "Nah they won't, they can't sell after 2"
Roommate: "Well, we could just steal some"

The way he said the last line was just like Kreebie daring the Fiesta Fox to do a bead run on the quad. The challenge was already accepted without any words left to be said.

When I walked in, there was no one behind the counter. After getting the beer, still no one by the counter. As walking up to the register, I could see a guy with a mop in the back. I waved, and continued to walk to the register. He wasn't out from out back yet, so I just bolted.

We cracked open a few beers while running some red lights in our hurry to escape the scene of the crime.

Back