• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How would you define a successful basketball season?

What is successful

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The core of our team are sophs. If we can't make the NCAA tournament this season then we won't know if we're good enough going into 2014-15. Forget the NIT. It's not a real measure of how good your team is.

Beating Carolina = successful season.

The core of our team are sophs. If we can't make the NCAA tournament this season then we won't know if we're good enough going into 2014-15. Forget the NIT. It's not a real measure of how good your team is.
Even with a competent coach, I don't think this team could make an NCAA tournament in 2014-2015. At the very most, on the bubble. This team just isn't very talented.

So your standard of success is the Elite Eight or ACC Championship?

Not solely, no. In most cases, I think a relative evaluation, such as the one you posted, is a decent means of evaluation. However, what it fails to recognize is that there are absolute achievements that trump relative ones--making the Final Four, for instance--and would automatically make the season a success regardless of relative performance.

The second major flaw in what you put forth is that it accords equal weight to the ACCT and NCAAT. Let's look at the 2009 team as an example. That year, we finished as the 2 seed in the ACCT and a 4 seed in the NCAAT. Your formula calls for four postseason wins, two in each tournament. However, if you gave any fan the choice on how to allocate those wins, I firmly believe that anyone would take an "unsuccessful" season by forfeiting the ACCT and taking all 4 in the NCAAT for a Final Four berth than taking the "successful" season by sending two wins to each. Along that same line of reasoning, your formula doesn't allow a team to overachieve in one tournament to make up for underperformance in the other, even when that would result in their total postseason wins meeting or exceeding the expected amount.

Finally, your formula provides for no means of evaluating over- or under-performance in the regular season. If we follow a slightly more extreme example of the Texas 2010 route and start the season ranked in the top-5 nationally, crash and burn our way to a 20-11 record*, win one game in the ACCT as the 6 seed, and then lose in the first round of the NCAAT as a 10 or 11 seed, that has not been a successful year, IMO, and I think most people would agree with me.

And with that, I've spent far too much time thinking about and discussing this.

*LOL at calling that "crashing and burning" after three years of the Bzaster.

Reasonable points. I added the ACC condition to make sure Dino's last season was not considered a success much like your Texas 2010 example shouldn't be.

Beating Carolina = successful season.

"No more points."

Not so sure about that. Beating UNC in the Doh! years was nothing special. And frankly, UNC hasn't been all that in the last couple of years. That UNC team that lost in Cville last year was not impressive.

NCAAT or bust in year 4 of our Bzz curse.

To borrow a slogan from our 2006 Orange Bowl Season: THE TIME IS NOW!

Back