• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How YouTube and Internet Journalism Destroyed Tom Cruise, Our Last Real Movie Star

Well he clearly didn't read the article, that much is certain.

But top 5 Cruise roles > top 5 Clooney roles.

Cocktail, Top Gun, Jerry Maguire, Eyes Wide Shut, Magnolia

vs

I guess Thin Red Line, Perfect Storm, O Brother Where Art Thou, Ocean's 11, Michael Clayton? And two of those are ensemble casts.

And overall ouevre, I'd still probably go Cruise, even with some recent stinkers. And let's not act like Clooney hasn't done movies just for the cash. Spy Kids? Spy Kids 3D?

His best roles are in ensemble casts.

You leave out the Descendants and Up In the Air, both of which received Oscar nominations?

These two threads have boiled down to everyone + data vs. rj and the inevitable rubberneckers who don't grasp the debate

vs

I guess Thin Red Line, Perfect Storm, O Brother Where Art Thou, Ocean's 11, Michael Clayton? And two of those are ensemble casts.

And overall ouevre, I'd still probably go Cruise, even with some recent stinkers. And let's not act like Clooney hasn't done movies just for the cash. Spy Kids? Spy Kids 3D?

So Cruise's most recent and best non-action role was Eyes Wide Shut in 1999, which wasn't even that highly reviewed. Jerry Maguire, clearly being his most critically acclaimed role in 1996. Again, the statement was that Cruise is at a point in his career that he's just putting out action flicks. Cruise has flown the coop.

Clooney got a later start in cinema but is putting out more interesting work at this point. He's not an action star.

So Cruise's most recent and best non-action role was Eyes Wide Shut in 1999, which wasn't even that highly reviewed. Jerry Maguire, clearly being his most critically acclaimed role in 1996. Again, the statement was that Cruise is at a point in his career that he's just putting out action flicks. Cruise has flown the coop.

Clooney got a later start in cinema but is putting out more interesting work at this point. He's not an action star.

Which has nothing to do with being a "movie star"

Is Clooney a better artist and filmmaker? Yes
Is Clooney as big of a movie star as Tom Cruise? No. Hell no.

vs

What's certain is your continuous and unbridled arrogance. I read the article and don't agree with your assessment.

These two threads have boiled down to everyone + data vs. rj and the inevitable rubberneckers who don't grasp the debate

Please. Don't assume your own intelligence. The article labels Cruise as our last great movie star. It doesn't fully define the parameters to make that claim. People jumped in early to dispute that claim. Others then tried to label it as just people who make money at the box office and then tried to claim that was the frame all along.

You want to know the author's real basis for claiming Cruise as the last great movie star. Read the last line of the article: "Chief Film Critic Amy Nicholson's book Tom Cruise: Anatomy of an Actor will be published in July by Cahiers du Cinema/Phaidon Press." It's an article pumping the book. Cruise as the only real movie star is dubious as others here have intelligently pointed out.

Please. Don't assume your own intelligence. The article labels Cruise as our last great movie star. It doesn't fully define the parameters to make that claim. People jumped in early to dispute that claim. Others then tried to label it as just people who make money at the box office and then tried to claim that was the frame all along.

You want to know the author's real basis for claiming Cruise as the last great movie star. Read the last line of the article: "Chief Film Critic Amy Nicholson's book Tom Cruise: Anatomy of an Actor will be published in July by Cahiers du Cinema/Phaidon Press." It's an article pumping the book. Cruise as the only real movie star is dubious as others here have intelligently pointed out.

MichDeac, you classify as a rubbernecker, FYI.

Using the same logic, why not put Mike Meyers in Gravity as his films make more per release than either of them.

Clooney was the absolutely perfect pick for Gravity. Although there isn't much difference in age between Clooney and Hanks, Clooney appears a lot younger. An 60ish astronaut our spacewalking is not as believable. There also wouldn't have been the obvious chemistry with Sandra Bullock.

So, no Hanks would not have done better in that movie.

Please keep in mind we are debating the opinion of the guy who said this about Gravity:

The only difference between this movie and Star Trek or other films or TV shows with space debris is 3D.

Gravity was not much more than we saw in Sapce Cowboys if it was in 3D.

If Apollo 13 had been in 3D or Space Cowboys or Star Trek, I don't think it would have been much different.

[regarding the ending]:
It would have been better if she had landed on the Planet of the Apes.

You didn't initially clarify "at this point in their career," and I wasn't responding to that because it wasn't what the article was about at all.

What's certain is your continuous and unbridled arrogance. I read the article and don't agree with your assessment.

WTF? Where was I arrogant? I was talking about MichDeac, not you. God dammit rj.

This is part of the point with the article (along with new media derailing TC's career), and it's not true. You can argue that Cruise is currently bigger than Clooney (a point that I don't agree with - I think they're on equal footing), but can you really seriously make the case that he's the only movie star? He's not. Hanks, Pitt, Denzel, and Will Smith can all open movies on their own.

Once again, not comparing Cruise now to all those guys now. It was Cruise, pre-couch incident, as the last REAL movie star. By the author's terms.

Considering the discussion we've been having, I think this line from the article is really appropriate:

"That's why Tugman could hear their screams from the next studio over. It was his first day on the job, but during the next 200 episodes, it was the loudest audience he'd ever hear except for the crowd for George Clooney."

Back