• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How YouTube and Internet Journalism Destroyed Tom Cruise, Our Last Real Movie Star

i like Tom Cruise; I think scientology is ridiculous but sucks he's targeted so much

Some of the shit I've read about Cruise and scientology makes him seem terrible, but most of its probably bullshit. He's a good actor regardless and I usually enjoy his movies.

That's good but George Clooney, Johnny Depp and Brad Pitt are absolutely movie stars. Saying Cruise is the last one is gibberish.

That's good but George Clooney, Johnny Depp and Brad Pitt are absolutely movie stars. Saying Cruise is the last one is gibberish.

And Will Smith. And DiCaprio.

Pitt and Clooney maybe. Mayyyyyybe Leo.

But Bogart/Newman big? Like, biggest in the world big?

Anyway, it's not the sticking point of the argument.

Like him being--snigger--straight?

I think you mean snicker, not snigger.

V55PE.gif

I agree with Townie above.

Sounds like Cruise is a weird dude and that he has known it about himself from the beginning. He kept himself under wraps for years, and then as soon as he opened his mouth and started talking everyone learned how strange of a man he is.

Pitt and Clooney maybe. Mayyyyyybe Leo.

But Bogart/Newman big? Like, biggest in the world big?

Anyway, it's not the sticking point of the argument.

Depp, Pitt and Clooney are Bogart/Newman big. In fact they closer to Bogart and Newman than Cruise. People identified with Newman and Bogart. They were also the height of cool. Cruise is not cool in the same way.

Everybody dreamed of being Newman or Bogart. Every guy wanted to be them. Every girl wanted to be with them. Is that the way it is with Cruise?
It seems to be that way with Depp, Clooney and Pitt.

Why is this bad? Because we disagree?

No way do Depp/Clooney/Pitt have the worldwide appeal that Cruise had in the 90's.

No way do Depp/Clooney/Pitt have the worldwide appeal that Cruise had in the 90's.

Disagree.

But the growth of home theater is lessening the impact of the big movie star's ability to have a big opening weekend, like Vincent Chase in Aquaman.

Back