• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How YouTube and Internet Journalism Destroyed Tom Cruise, Our Last Real Movie Star

What is George Clooney's iconic movie. I've been thinking about it for a minute and still have no fucking idea. Do the same with Tom Cruise or Tom Hanks or Marlon Brando.

After looking at his IMDB page I'd have to say its Ocean's Eleven.

I don't have any metrics, but I'm talking more about popularity, public opinion, status. Who doesn't like George Clooney?

who doesn't like pretty much all of cruise's classic films, even up to minority report?

are talking about like a dude or liking a guy's work?

I wonder if Cruise would be higher ranked on an international top 10 list.

who doesn't like pretty much all of cruise's classic films, even up to minority report?

are talking about like a dude or liking a guy's work?

But being a movie star is about more than just acting. It's about all the other stuff. I'm not disputing that Cruise was/is a star. I'm saying that Clooney is on the same level.

But being a movie star is about more than just acting. It's about all the other stuff. I'm not disputing that Cruise was/is a star. I'm saying that Clooney is on the same level.

I disagree because id say matt damon is a bigger movie star than george clooney, and he fails this metric

i hear what you're saying and I think clooney is probably cooler than cruise, but i thought being a movie star was about people paying lots of money to watch you b/c that's how people show movie stars how they like them

Interesting looking at all the movie data. If I were to do a breakdown, I'd put Tier 1 at Hanks, Ford and Cruise
(30+ starring roles, $100M avg. gross per movie, 10+ $100M movies)

Then you've got Eddie Murphy, who's his own thing, also a member of the above club.

There's another tier of comedians: Ben Stiller, Robin Williams, etc., whom I wouldn't call big movie stars. There's a tier of coattails stars who got hitched to big franchises but shouldn't really be considered stars: Gary Oldman, James Franco, Hugo Weaving.

There's a group of prolific actors who make the 30+ starring credits, $50M avg. gross club who aren't really leading guys who are just prolific (50+ credits): Morgan Freeman, Samuel L Jackson, then Christopher Lee (93 starring credits!) and Robert Downey Jr. (50 starring credits?)

So remove all those outlier dudes and you're left with a Tier 2 of Johnny Depp, Matt Damon, Mel Gibson, Christian Bale, Brad Pitt

Sounds about right

You can't go by average box office with Clooney as he does lots of small pictures that are critically acclaimed.

If you look at the list I posted, Cruise isn't in the Top 30 on average BO of their most recent ten films.

except you can, because the game is "movie star" not "people who do critically acclaimed movies and sometimes direct"

Using the same logic, Cruise's last ten movies take him out of the Top 20 "movie stars" as there are more than twenty actors whose last ten pictures have averaged more BO than Cruise's have.

You can't go by average box office with Clooney as he does lots of small pictures that are critically acclaimed.

If you look at the list I posted, Cruise isn't in the Top 30 on average BO of their most recent ten films.

I think you can, actually. And Clooney would be among the Tier 2 guys if he had more than 30 starring credits. He doesn't. (28)

You really think George Clooney is on the same level as Tom Hanks? There's no way.

if i were to offer you a bet on which movie would do better, without any other info other than "Tom Hanks is the lead" or "George Clooney" is the lead, who would you pick, RJ?

Back