• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How YouTube and Internet Journalism Destroyed Tom Cruise, Our Last Real Movie Star

you're nuts if you think Johnny Depp and Brad Pitt (and clooney, lol) had the same Star Power as Tom Cruise

Cruise is by far the hardest working man in showbusiness. He's a nutjob but the guy works his ass off..

I work next to a Scientology church. Their people are always in our basement cafe getting lunch. The men and women wear black pants with vests that are black on the front, old gold on the back. the men wear ties that have old gold knots and the rest is black. looks like a bunch of cult Wake fans.

Edge of Tomorrow looks awesome but w/ TC as the lead I'm skeptical.

Not that I don't appreciate the guy or his acting, its just that he's done some real stinkers in the past 10 years.

Have you ever met a Scientologist RJ? Living in LA I figure you have.

When I first moved out here, I went to the old Brown Derby just to see it and got cornered by a Scientologist as I walked back to my car. I've met used car salesmen less pushy than this girl.

There were a few at the beach couple of years ago. They were out there.

What was that like? Did she eventually creep you out?

She was hot enough on the Vickie Mendoza line to make it worth it. Her parents were very rich and pretty crazy, though.

I was pretty entertained by it all and went into one of their centers to have an e-meter thingy used on me. Apparently I had a lot of stress and bad energy around my thetan or something.

Never argue with RJ about Hollywood stuff unless you want to get schooled. The dude has cred. Hell, he nailed Sara before AND after Darryl Hall did.

Pitt and Clooney maybe. Mayyyyyybe Leo.

But Bogart/Newman big? Like, biggest in the world big?

Anyway, it's not the sticking point of the argument.

And movie stars are people that can open movies by themselves, no matter how crazy the premise. You say, "Oh, George Clooney's in a movie? I should see that."
All of those guys make the list, and Denzel and Tom Hanks should be on there, too.

You can also argue that a true movie star only plays a different version of himself, but that's another argument.

I'd definitely argue that Clooney is as big as Cruise.

i mean, what are your criteria? TC demolishes Clooney in box office receipts ver their last 10 films, over 1.5x $$$ as much per movie. Clooney does have more awards.

i mean, what are your criteria? TC demolishes Clooney in box office receipts ver their last 10 films, over 1.5x $$$ as much per movie. Clooney does have more awards.

I don't have any metrics, but I'm talking more about popularity, public opinion, status. Who doesn't like George Clooney?

Steve Wynn.

Noted.

Anyway, as the article details, Cruise really fell off after the couch incident. I'd argue that Clooney is the guy that has filled the vacuum. He's got enough cred now that he can produce and direct and write and, even though some of his work isn't critically adored (Leatherheads, The Monuments Men), he still draws, and people still love him. Brad Pitt is doing similar things.

It's also interesting to do that the biggest stars seem to do the least amount of work in courting publicity. That was one of the most interesting parts of the article for me: how much Cruise tried to avoid the spotlight in the '80s.

I love Clooney as the actor but as the activist he's douchey (although his father is worse so I understand his issues).

I love Clooney as the actor but as the activist he's douchey (although his father is worse so I understand his issues).

Yeah, what kind of elitist horseshit is that about trying to save innocent people from genocide in Sudan? The nerve.

Back