• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HP's UNC-Cheat Thread - UNC comes out on top, NCAA penalized by UNC

+1

Other schools have gotten the Death Penalty for much much less. Then again, every death penalty so far has been given for much less.

Uhh, kind of depends how define much less. I agree what UNC did was terrible, but there have only been two death penalties ever handed down against major programs. Kentucky for a huge point shaving scandal in the 50s, and obviously the biggest pay-for-play scheme ever at SMU. There's no way the NCAA is going to be near as heavy-handed on a case where there jurisdiction is seriously in question (not just by UNC).

Hope they get nailed, but am expecting pretty light penalties overall for the level of blatant cheating they got away with for years. Nothing close to the death penalty.

My prediction is 2 year basketball postseason ban, vacated victories, loss of 05 and 09 championship, 2 year postseason ban for football, women's basketball 3 year postseason ban.

I'm optimistic.

Yeah, I want to see some blood from the coaches (depending on who is still around that was involved during the cheating period). While the current teams are going to field the brunt of impact and these players came knowing this day could come, it doesn't seem fair to make them absorb all the impact while letting the coaches skate by on vacated wins, one less scholarship, and not going to the postseason once or twice.

I wish our fan base (me included) was this optimistic when the Deacs suit up. You guys are setting yourself up for major disappointment. Hope I'm wrong though.

Roy should get a Show Cause for lack of institutional control.

Uhh, kind of depends how define much less. I agree what UNC did was terrible, but there have only been two death penalties ever handed down against major programs. Kentucky for a huge point shaving scandal in the 50s, and obviously the biggest pay-for-play scheme ever at SMU. There's no way the NCAA is going to be near as heavy-handed on a case where there jurisdiction is seriously in question (not just by UNC).

Hope they get nailed, but am expecting pretty light penalties overall for the level of blatant cheating they got away with for years. Nothing close to the death penalty.

Yeah, I mean shit like this has happened to smaller schools like SW Louisiana.

However, the most severe violations involved massive academic fraud. In the most egregious case, an assistant coach altered a recruit's high school transcript and forged the principal's signature. Several boosters arranged for surrogates to take college entrance exams for prospective recruits. The NCAA responded by scrubbing the Ragin' Cajuns' 1972 and 1973 NCAA Tournament appearances from the books and canceling the 1973–74 and 1974–75 seasons.

Women's basketball gets crushed
Football conveniently loses postseason eligibility this season
Men's basketball gets a strongly worded reprimand

We all know that's going to happen

I don't see how they can do this without a scholarship hit, vacated victories, and a postseason ban. It should be all three. They clearly played with ineligible players during a decade and a half period of infractions, so vacated victories is a given. Secondly, you have to levy a punishment that pressures universities not to commit academic fraud. The two best ways to accomplish that are post - season bans and vacated scholarships. I am going for a 2 year post-season ban, and a small scholarship loss. The punishment won't fit the crime, but I think they have to hit all three tiers.

Man, I bet UNC-Ashville, UNC-G, UNC-C and UNC-P are really worried!

So Wendell Moore should probably(hopefully) rethink his decision, right?

Granted, it most likely means just going to Duke.

So Wendell Moore should probably(hopefully) rethink his decision, right?

Granted, it most likely means just going to Duke.
Unless they get a 3 year ban or UNC appeals the decision for long enough that a 2 year ban starts next season, most of the discussed penalties above would not really affect his 2019 class.

Back