• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HS girl challenges Bachmann to debate about Constitution

I'm not that big on standardized testing, but this is a seed of a great idea. If an NFL prospect has to take the Wonderlic, shouldn't our elected officials have to take some test of civics to show evidence that they should be elected to serve. And if the people want to elect an idiot, at least they know that's who they're electing.

Interesting. Our doctors, lawyers, engineers, etc. have to pass some sort of competency test before they begin affecting other people's lives. Why not politicians?

I'm not that big on standardized testing, but this is a seed of a great idea. If an NFL prospect has to take the Wonderlic, shouldn't our elected officials have to take some test of civics to show evidence that they should be elected to serve. And if the people want to elect an idiot, at least they know that's who they're electing.

sure. of course, there should also be tests that you have to pass before being allowed to vote. sort of hard to justify one without the other.

Interesting. Our doctors, lawyers, engineers, etc. have to pass some sort of competency test before they begin affecting other people's lives. Why not politicians?

There are some dumbass lawyers and at one point 66% of congress had a law degree.

Michele Bauchmann is a moron. They should do a standard IQ test for each congressman. If you are less than 115, out you go

I just looked her up on Wikipedia and it says she has a Master of Laws and used to be a tax attorney. It's amazing she passed the bar.

sure. of course, there should also be tests that you have to pass before being allowed to vote. sort of hard to justify one without the other.

Nope. Completely different since I'm not saying someone should have to pass a test to run for office.

I wonder how many times a year the president gets a letter from some apple-polishing, high school virgin that thinks he can challenge the president to a constitutional debate.

She has valid points that:
A. Bachmann is an idiot and,
B. Bachmann doesn't know jack about the Constitution

Challenging her to a debate to prove them is asinine. Sorry, girl, but US Congressmen have better things to do than spending taxpayer money to fly around the country to meet every challenge a high school kid makes of them. If I challenged Hank Johnson to a debate on the dangers of island capsization, he would and should laugh in my face.

No, Johnson is a loon. He'd probably accept your challenge. As crazy as he is, he is still better than his predecessor, Cynthia McKinney. Must be the water on that side of town.

I would love to know the person pulling the strings behind that letter.

I wonder how many times a year the president gets a letter from some apple-polishing, high school virgin that thinks he can challenge the president to a constitutional debate.

Just guessing, but thats probably not uncommon. What is uncommon is for a high school student to have the media connections to get the letter covered in every national newspaper and television news program.

From AP:
"Myers was angry that many of the most visible female politicians were seen as fodder for jokes and ridicule, which made her peers think it was ok to mock her political aspirations, too. She singled out Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) after her father noticed the congresswoman had incorrectly stated the Revolutionary War Battles of Lexington and Concord happened in New Hampshire. (She told a group of conservatives in Manchester in March: "You're the state where the shot was heard around the world in Lexington and Concord.") In January, Myers watched agasp as Bachmann said America's founding fathers "worked tirelessly until slavery was no more in the United States."

"We covered the presidents, and we're currently at Jackson," Myers says. She says that though John Adams (and his son John Quincy Adams, who was not a founding father) objected to slavery, the other founding fathers did own slaves. They were all dead before slavery was officially abolished in 1865, during the Civil War.

She decided that Bachmann's inaccurate historical statements were irresponsible, since they reflected badly on women everywhere, and particularly on Myers herself. (We at The Lookout would like to point out that politicians of both genders frequently say stupid things; you can consult our sister blog The Ticket for proof.) The forceful letter Myers ended up writing to Bachmann, challenging her to a showdown over the Constitution and civics generally, quickly went viral on political blogs. Many Yahoo! commenters suggested that all politicians be forced to take the challenge before being allowed to take office.

As the letter picked up national attention, Myers' campaign to be class president also started to gather steam. And she finally feels she is getting respect from the boys who teased her."

What you wrote is total BS. SHE had no outside help for that.

Yes, we have some winners in Congress. One thinks we've landed on Mars. Was that Sheila Jackson Lee?

If I were debating that girl, I would ask her the meaning of the Tenth Amendment.

I would ask her where Congress gets the right to tell schools what kinds of lunches they can serve.

Of course, she would be clueless when it came to federalism because she's been taught otherwise.

I suspect her retort to all this would be the Constitution "is what the judges say it is."

Go away.

What you wrote is total BS. SHE had no outside help for that.

Maybe. Sorry if I'm cynical, but I just think there's more to the story as to how this letter has now become national news.

It's called Twitter and Facebook. People have searches for famous names and find them very easily.

Back