• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Huntsman Announcement

For a lot of the reasons Shot mentioned, I think the timing of this announcement was pretty good (if not handled perfectly). But will he gain any traction as a result? Being essentially unable to play in IA could cut either way, but it will hurt him in the fundraising department. There's only so long you can stay "around the bend" before you need to actually start banking serious contributions. Money is life in a primary.

Good post, DC.

The thing is though he is not a "kind of sort of lefty". At all. His only liberal positions are on gay marriage and immigration (but even then, it is not that liberal). For some reason people think that because he worked for Obama in China and isn't a foreign policy hawk he must be a liberal, but they forget that before Bush, conservatives were usually against foreign intervention, and most conservatives want withdrawal from Afghanistan and Libya. On everything else he is right of Romney, and has the added benefit of not being a flip-flopper. The fact that his image is that of a lefty is going to be a problem for him, but I think once people get to know him and see him in debates, he'll be fine.

Was reviewing Huntsman's web page last night and his blog... already getting crucified by the far right wackos. My favorite:

"Sorry sir. You are no Ronald Reagan and a wimp. The fact that you were appointed by Barrack "Hussein" Obama as the ambassador to China already tells me that you have compromised yourself. God help us if the American people and the Republican Party are stupid enough to give you the nomination to run against the charlatan already occupying the White House. The American people will surely loose and the country will have no hope for the future. We need someone who will tell it like it is. I'd rather see Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachman or Donald Trump win the nomination than you. Don't waste the American People's time with your rules of civility in taking on this President. We need a hard ass, bold candidate who will tell the truth and not hold back. You don't have it in you and the majority of conservative americans will not fall for your game."

Blog link.
http://www.jon2012.com/blog/Jun-21-2011/Im-running-will-you-join-me

Reminds me of the Dems getting excited about Kerry because he'd sway right wing voters with his military history and his moderate positions.

Huntsman won't win the nomination because the brutal truth is that being a kinda-sorta lefty doesn't actually win any left votes when the real deal is already in office. And it costs you votes from the far right. Combine that with the Christian versus Mormon vote problem and he's just not electable in this system.

Which is a shame because he's certainly got a lot going for him. I listened to him talk about how he's pro gay civil unions while leaving the term marriage out of it as a separation of the religious side versus compete equality from a legal perspective - it was well said. He talked seriously about his own moral compass telling him devoted same sex relationships deserved all that rights that others do. He was also fairly candid about how much he liked Obama and how well he's doing in certain areas.

But either his campaign will have to change drastically or he'll never get the nomination. A lot of his quotes are basically poison to the staunch right wing.

First, great post. I think his candidacy with be very interesting, and I don't 100% agree with your analysis.

As I've argued many times, I think the moderate vote is the swing factor in modern presidential elections. You have a roughly equal number of diehards on each side that are blind party followers. These guys are going to vote for whoever names appears next to their party, regardless of any other factor, or whether they wanted that person in the primary. Hilary voters all voted for Obama, even if they had sour grapes. The same would happen with Huntsman and the far right.

Then you've got the 10-15% that could go either way. Huntsman is a candidate that might actually do better in a general than the primary, because he will look interesting to that (perhaps large) class of voters that has no interest in Tea Party-stained GOP leadership, but aren't head-over-heels for Obama either. They'll take a look at an intellectual, socially-liberal fiscal conservative that seems open-minded and has a good record.

I agree that Huntsman is a long-shot because the hard right will not want him to carry the conservative banner, and they seem to driving the GOP bus. But if he somehow snaked his way through the GOP primaries with his current profile intact--by that I mean he didn't sell out his moderate positions to pander for Tea Party votes to secure the nomination-- he's a guy who the middle could come to like.

After the primary, he's not losing votes on his right flank. The Tea Party will vote for basically anyone against a Dem (especially the terrifying Obama) -- Sarah Palin proved that -- so it's not like he'd leak votes from the GOP base. Where Shot and I disagree is that he doesn't have to capture left votes from Obama, he only needs to win over moderate voters who don't love Obama but refuse to readopt hard right conservatism so soon after the Bush debacle.

If you win the right and more of the middle, you win. Same goes for the left. But I doubt he ever gets the chance, which is why I think the GOP is doomed to lose in 2012. They won't run a candidate that appeals to moderate voters, and they don't have the base to win without them. Neither party does, but Obama still has broad appeal to the middle, especially in comparison to the rest of the GOP field.

Last edited:
i think huntsman can win new hampshire. i think wmr's support there is wide and shallow.

i don't think there was ever an expectation that kerry would win right-wing votes. i think there was a hope that, with his military record and hawkish foreign policy positions, he would not have to cede those issues entirely.

but he made his entire nomination about his biography, which was a mistake, and he threw away his foreign policy credentials with a single statement that encapsulated when many people thought about him to begin with.

I'm not discounting the middle ground, or that the extremes vote party lines regardless.

But you can't play moderate to get noticed, play right-wing to get nominated, then go back to moderate to capture the middle.

What was Kerry trying to be? A Democrat that with a strong military background who voted with the right on NAFTA, deficit-reduction, Patriot Act, and a few other key issues. What did he end up as? A swift-boated flip-flopper who lost to one of the worst Presidents in history.

I think Hunstman is jumping in late to build goodwill. No negative campaigning? Moderate views? Running out of pure patriotism? It's not a sustainable Presidential campaign, despite it being a refreshing one.

I'm not discounting the middle ground, or that the extremes vote party lines regardless.

But you can't play moderate to get noticed, play right-wing to get nominated, then go back to moderate to capture the middle.

What was Kerry trying to be? A Democrat that with a strong military background who voted with the right on NAFTA, deficit-reduction, Patriot Act, and a few other key issues. What did he end up as? A swift-boated flip-flopper who lost to one of the worst Presidents in history.

I think Hunstman is jumping in late to build goodwill. No negative campaigning? Moderate views? Running out of pure patriotism? It's not a sustainable Presidential campaign, despite it being a refreshing one.

I think that's a valid question. wrt/Kerry, i think he clearly did get tripped up on Iraq/some of the wot stuff because of Dean's candidacy. then when he reaffirmed that he still would have voted for the authority to go to war, he had gone there and back again. Then the "for it/against it". He repeatedly compounded his problems.

i tend to think Huntsman's best chance to is to win NH--which I think is completely doable for him--and thereby really weaken wmr. Once wmr is not a front-runner, i think his support will break off in chunks, and gop will need to decide whether to consolidate around one of a few Tea Party types, or a guy like Huntsman.

if he emerges from that sort of process, i could see the right-wing getting behind him purely b/c he's not Obama--that's one thing he has going for him--and then picking up more of the middle than did McCain. (than was ANY Republican going to get in 2008.) enough to make a competitive race.

it's not exactly a clear shot, and he'll need some luck, but that's usually the case.

Was reviewing Huntsman's web page last night and his blog... already getting crucified by the far right wackos. My favorite:

"Sorry sir. You are no Ronald Reagan and a wimp. The fact that you were appointed by Barrack "Hussein" Obama as the ambassador to China already tells me that you have compromised yourself. God help us if the American people and the Republican Party are stupid enough to give you the nomination to run against the charlatan already occupying the White House. The American people will surely loose and the country will have no hope for the future. We need someone who will tell it like it is. I'd rather see Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachman or Donald Trump win the nomination than you. Don't waste the American People's time with your rules of civility in taking on this President. We need a hard ass, bold candidate who will tell the truth and not hold back. You don't have it in you and the majority of conservative americans will not fall for your game."

Blog link.
http://www.jon2012.com/blog/Jun-21-2011/Im-running-will-you-join-me

was this written by Bandwagon boy?

Huntsman is a jelus looser!!!!

jon-huntsman-jr-1.jpg

Is that really his hair? Looks strange. I mean damn, that is a football field of a forehead.

I don't remember W having a history as a moderate Republican.

You should check W's stance on immigration prior to 9/11. We were getting ready to have widespread amnesty in the USA. Vicente Fox gave a great speech in Washington (I think) a couple of months prior to 9/11. The stage was set and W wanted it done. 9/11 fucked it all up.

You should check W's stance on immigration prior to 9/11. We were getting ready to have widespread amnesty in the USA. Vicente Fox gave a great speech in Washington (I think) a couple of months prior to 9/11. The stage was set and W wanted it done. 9/11 fucked it all up.

One issue and his stance of immigration years after 9-11 was relatively moderate as well.

I don't know if you can be "moderate" and be the Texas Governor but he certainly had a history of being bi-partisan when he came to Washington.

One issue and his stance of immigration years after 9-11 was relatively moderate as well.

Education, immigration, prescription drugs... Bush was very open to compromise on a ton of issues, but 9/11 and the WoT became the defining issues of his Presidency.

If Huntsman is all the Republican old guard can trot out then Obama gets another four years to stick the nail in the coffin.

I have heard many times over the past couple of days from certain people how unimpressive Huntsman is. I never hear why. What about him concerns you as a Republican voter?

Back