• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Huntsman Announcement

The smart candidates know that this is a DMW election for the GOP, whatever the opinion polls say today. You think they'd sit out--meaning they're out for 8 years--if they thought the WH was really in play?

The Dems got nobody for 2016 unless my boy from Montana Brian Schweitzer steps into the public spotlight or Gabrielle Giffords heals up quickly, runs for Senate, gives a rousing speech at the convention, wins and keeps her nose clean or a good number of formers step off the sidelines.

That said, the bloom could be off of Christie if public opinion keeps dropping in his favor and Rubio could feel the effects if Rick Scott poisons FL Republican politics.

That's true, but if the GOP takes the WH in 2012, those Pubs can't run in 2016. Politicians run when they think the seat is actually in play, and the smart GOP candidates don't think they can win now. In fact, they're all betting that the GOP will need a new candidate in 2016.

2016 is far more important than 2012. Shortly after the POTUS takes the oath of office in 2106, Scalia and Kennedy will each be 83 years old.

If Hillary or another Demn wins, there will likely be a 6-3 Dem Supreme Court for years to come.

That's true, but if the GOP takes the WH in 2012, those Pubs can't run in 2016. Politicians run when they think the seat is actually in play, and the smart GOP candidates don't think they can win now. In fact, they're all betting that the GOP will need a new candidate in 2016.

Who would those candidates be?

m'eh...

I think the "GOP weak field" narrative will exist no matter who is in the race. the 2008 Obama-Clinton fight was a rarity. we heard the same things about the 2004 Dem field and the 2000 GOP field.

we certainly heard them about the 1992 field - when many of the big name Dems decided to pass on the race because there was NO WAY george hw bush could lose.

Mitch Daniels - too short, and he was Bush's OMB director
Rubio? For those who thought Obama hadn't done anything before running for Pres...
Jeb Bush - seriously, a Bush? 300 million people and you nominated another Bush?
McDonnell - who?
Thune - looks good on TV, but what's a one-termer from South Dakota have to contribute?
Huckabee - LOL

see how easy that was?

i don't really believe much of that - but it's an easy game for the press to play, and for lazy voters to play along with. i don't think this field is the strongest in history, but unless the GOP can get Obama to run on their ticket, i think this was always going to be one of the preferred storylines.

Last edited:
I think it's a pretty accurate assessment rather than a media-created storyline, and tepid polling numbers are bearing that out.

The GOP is going to run a Bob Dole because they have zero exciting candidates in the field. Any candidate can be run down, but that list is much tougher than the list of people in 2012 race, IMO.

I think national Republicans are afraid of what's happening in the states. Extremist action like in WI, MI, AZ, AL, FL, OH can harm their chances nationally.

Yeah, trying to balance your state's budget is a real downer. How's that working for you in California?

In WI, OH and FL it wasn'tn about balancing the budget...it wasn't abotu the budget in AZ.AL, GA when they enacted their anti-immigrant laws.

But keep thinking that way and you'll lose the House as well.

Yeah, wanting to enforce federal illegal imigration laws is a real bitch too.

Back