• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

i am moving to chicago or charlotte so which should it be

slothrop

Reaction score
it's not really my decision in the long run but we have it narrowed down to chicago or charlotte and i'm trying to get all the info pulled together i can so i figured i'd let my friends help and have input too because i love you all so much

it's just time to leave cleveland before a pothole swallows us up forever

:umkc::eek:rbitbuddy::beer::ipfw::plos:

Chicago!

But tell us more first. What are you looking for?

so here's the general breakdown as i see it

charlotte
positives:
-cheaper
-more space
-better weather
-closer to places i'd rather be covering (i.e. not the big ten and mac anymore)
-beach + mountains + wake nearby

negatives:
-transit isn't as good
-it's not chicago
-i know fewer people in charlotte overall

chicago
positives:
-great for networking and great professionally
-lots of food and things to do and see and stuff
-i know a trillion people there
-great transit
-close to my grandparents (grandpa is having health problems)
-it's chicago

negatives:
-price
-the winter is so cold
-less space
-i still need to drive for work probably to go cover stuff and it'd be to like iowa and wisconsin

Last edited:
and background:

-girlfriend and i both work from home now because she got a new job
-their home offices are in alaska and virginia so she either needs to be at a better hub or within driving distance to home office
-we have two dogs
-i drive a lot obviously for work to different schools so i can't get rid of my car no matter what
-i have to go to new york once a quarter no matter what
-we're not exactly rolling in $$$$$
-i love the idea of both places

and background:

-their home offices are in alaska and virginia so she either needs to be at a better hub or within driving distance to home office
-we have two dogs
-i drive a lot obviously for work to different schools so i can't get rid of my car no matter what

Your dogs will love Charlotte.

and background:

-we have two dogs

Based on this, Charlotte seems like the better choice.

I would have said Chicago until I read "and background." After that, it sounds like the QC is a much better option.

Chicago is better obviously but if the money you're making is independent of where you live you're just going to get so much more bang for your buck in Charlotte.

The deciding factor: which city will have the greatest NBA team name next season?

How old are you? I would say Chicago. There is always time to settle down in Charlotte if you want when you get older/start a family, etc. While you're young and carefree I say you gotta go with Chicago.

Why are Charlotte and Chicago the only two options?

they aren't the only two options but after talking about a bunch of places for about a year they were the two that we settled on

and to hoosier -- i turn 27 in like a month ish

I moved to Chicago a year and a half ago, and I really like it - although winter was absolutely horrific this year. Your dogs would be fine here, especially if you live near the lake, and Chicago is a good transit hub: in the middle of the country, tons of connections everywhere.

is clt really that much cheaper than chi? chi is by far the cheapest of the t1 cities from what i've seen.

I have some family that lives in St. Charles, a suburb if Chicago. They moved from Rock Hill as he had to be closer to the offices of his company. They say that they would move back to Rock Hill ASAP if they had the chance.

Seriously, don't take the word of a bunch of NC lifers about Charlotte vs. Chicago. There is absolutely no contest.

I moved to Chicago a year and a half ago, and I really like it - although winter was absolutely horrific this year. Your dogs would be fine here, especially if you live near the lake, and Chicago is a good transit hub: in the middle of the country, tons of connections everywhere.

I get what you're saying, but it doesn't sound like LP or Old Town would be an option for a couple that needs an office in their place with dogs. They'd be moving to the burbs, and then really, are they even living in Chi?

Back