• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

i am moving to chicago or charlotte so which should it be

Haven't read this thread, but I'll add that my cousin grew up in, and was working in Charlotte. She and her husband visited friends in Chicago, quit their Charlotte jobs, and moved to Chicago. They loved it there. After living there 7-8 years, they did move to Florida to be closer to her parents.

honestly i'd probably rather live in the raleigh/durham area over charlotte
amenities are the same but panthers/horncats/knights/checkers >>>>> hurricanes/bulls and also CLT has whitewater center

I'm not sure where Brasky's hate is coming from. It's a nice second tier city and I never came in expecting it to be a NYC/CHI.

I think your pro/con list is strong. I think the most important thing is not to overvalue the difference between Chicago and Charlotte. You'll be happy both places! Good luck with your decision! :)

He went to UNCC. I think I would hate Charlotte if I went there. Also he hated Charleston and found it difficult to get laid there in the summer, so that should tell you something too.

Agree re: pro/con list, both being great cities and you will be happy both places.

to answer other questions posed:

i am a nomad and i have serious fight-or-flight problems i haven't lived anywhere longer than two years since i graduated and my girlfriend is an army brat we both plan on moving around a lot regardless

the marriage thing has been talked but even if we did get married we're not having a kid any time soon

and as far as travel breakdowns are concerned from april 2013 to april 2014 i've probably spent
a month in new york
a month in chicago
a month in nc
a month between regional other cities (buffalo/columbus/detroit/dayton/cincinnati/louisville/etc)
another couple weeks in other (arizona, florida, texas)

regardless i'm going to be on a plane or on the road a lot no matter where i move – and the girlfriend started her job in february and has spent a week in va, a week in alaska, a week in denver and has another week in san diego coming up

He went to UNCC. I think I would hate Charlotte if I went there. Also he hated Charleston and found it difficult to get laid there in the summer, so that should tell you something too.

Agree re: pro/con list, both being great cities and you will be happy both places.

Nah I loved Charleston, and still do. I ended up leaving so that I could travel the country, and get paid to do so. I still might move back there one day.

Such garbage choices. I guess I'd choose Charlotte but Charlotte sucks. Better winters though.

I lived in Charlotte. It sucks. Never been to Chicago but sure it sucks too. You can live just about anywhere and those are the two places you come up with? That's fucked.

Sounds like you are used to shitty winters already (Cleveland) so Chicago would be the better choice. I lived in Lincoln Park for two years after graduating. Winters were unbearable for this southern beach kid. I escaped to the mild winters of Manhattan....

There's parks everywhere in cities, people walk them too. Not having a large fenced in yard isn't a big deal as long as they get their exercise.

I mean, I don't know a lot about Chicago that's why I asked the question. Sounds like it has a lot going on but I'm not sure that makes it clearly better than other major cities. From my apartment I can walk 10 minutes to an MLB game or take the train 10 minutes to NHL/NBA. The symphony is two blocks away. Ten minute walk to Museum of Fine Arts or the Gardner museum. The Harvard and MIT museums are incredible. Plus the history of the city itself. The fine dining scene could be a bit better I suppose but otherwise I'd be surprised if Chicago is somehow far superior :noidea:

I mean, I don't know a lot about Chicago that's why I asked the question. Sounds like it has a lot going on but I'm not sure that makes it clearly better than other major cities. From my apartment I can walk 10 minutes to an MLB game or take the train 10 minutes to NHL/NBA. The symphony is two blocks away. Ten minute walk to Museum of Fine Arts or the Gardner museum. The Harvard and MIT museums are incredible. Plus the history of the city itself. The fine dining scene could be a bit better I suppose but otherwise I'd be surprised if Chicago is somehow far superior :noidea:

Chicago has the huge advantage of price. COL is so cheap there compared to most other top cities.

the people mocking brasky have quickly surpassed the lameness of brasky

Back