• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

I have a ghost

Whoa. RIP Smidge.

I've never had a ghost, but I've seen a ghost. Indian man on the side of 95 just south of Richmond. Pretty crazy.

Indians scattered on dawn's highway bleedin'
Ghosts crowd the young child's fragile eggshell mind

It was a little different interaction than the reports I have read, but, crucially, I was totally unaware of these other sightings until I told someone this story years later (maybe the boards), and someone asked if it was near there, and then bounced back with some articles, and I was like, Holy shit, I might have actually seen something.

"Well, what do you say, Milt? Twenty-five percent of the house take sound about right?"

Never had an experience that I can recall but fascinated by shit like this.
Honestly haven't heard much out of him. A new family with two small kids moved in a few years back. Must have made him happy, they've not mentioned a thing.

The father died of a drug overdose while not in the home. He wasn't the greatest person, so Milt probably off'd him to protect the family. We have no proof though.

I have a ghost story from the 1970s. I purchased a log cabin with 5 acres of mostly wooded land on Roanoke Mountain in late 1974. It was built on Bent Mountain, disassembled, and moved to Roanoke mountain in the mid-’50s. I bought it from a widow whose husband had died in it in ‘72.

My best friend at the time (Mike) moved-in in ‘75. Within a few months, we had six dogs and a reputation in the immediate, extremely redneck area for loud parties and perceived eccentric behavior. During one of the parties, Mike started goofing on my date about the previous owner dying in the house, claiming that “Jimmy” had died in my bedroom and would be spying on her if she got naked. No harm as she turned out to be somewhat of an exhibitionist.

Odd things started occurring shortly after that. Lights and radios would come on or off at random and stuff would get rearranged in both bedrooms. I chalked it up to the old electrical system and the herbs we were consuming daily, but Mike kept playing the “Jimmy the ghost” card. Over time, I realized that strange shit tended to occur after Mike talked about Jimmy. I suggested to him that if there was a ghost, he was provoking him and that we’d probably be free from his influence if we just ignored him. Mike didn’t buy that and the oddities escalated.

A couple of events stand out:

I put up a 4 foot fence to make a huge dog play area that included one of my two open garages and the front door of the cabin (the back door was much more convenient for us and any guests). For some reason, I didn’t put a gate in the fence, so we and the dogs just used the front door to access the area.

We changed the water bowls and washed down the garage daily. To do so, one of us would climb the 4-foot fence at the garage to turn on or off the hose outlet at the pump house (the faucet had a significant leak when open). One night Mike told me that I should ask Jimmy to turn the water on for me. After climbing the fence to get to the hose outlet I found it had been turned open, but it wasn’t leaking. I assumed Mike had figured out how to repair the faucet and was messing with me, but he denied doing so. I was startled 10 minutes later when I climbed the fence to turn the water off and it was already off. Mike and I were inside the pen the whole time, cleaning dog poop, so someone or something else had turned the outlet off. The hose outlet started leaking again when open the next day and continued to do so until Mike moved out.

Shortly before Mike moved out we picked up a couple of gals at The Coffee Pot roadhouse in Roanoke and took them up to the ‘bin. Mike had started his usual ghost routine when his gal asked for directions to the restroom, so he pointed down the hall. Of course, the hallway light and the bathroom light were immediately turned on. Both girls freaked out and demanded that we take them back to their cars. Both lights turned off after I locked the door on our way out. No joy that night.

I started dating my future wife after Mike got his own place. Although she believes in the paranormal and sometimes seems to have a sensitivity to sort of understanding future events, she accepted my thoughts about ignoring Jimmy after another lighting event when Mike was present. She moved in and there were no more events until one day when I was at work and she was home (she is a nurse and was working 11-7). She had cranked the wood stove up pretty high and was exercising in the main room in front of the double window. As she grew warmer, she was shedding clothing until she was down to the bare essentials. The room darkened and she turned around to find that the curtains, previously open for light, had been drawn closed. She opened them again and told Jimmy she liked the curtains open. The traverse curtain rod then froze in the open position and remained that way until I replaced it.

Not ghost related, but I have several interesting stories about the cabin - the hang gliders and the babe, the hang glider vs a tree, the pack of wild dogs, don’t pull the trigger, rattlesnake mountain, my sheepdog vs a concrete anchored 4" post pipe, the refrigerator vs an idiot with a 9mm, BFRs (big fucking rats), and a connection to the book “Bitter Blood”

Last edited:
Honestly haven't heard much out of him. A new family with two small kids moved in a few years back. Must have made him happy, they've not mentioned a thing.

The father died of a drug overdose while not in the home. He wasn't the greatest person, so Milt probably off'd him to protect the family. We have no proof though.
RIP Milt

What's the Bitter Blood connection, @WFU71?
Fritz Klenner and his duped accomplice met one night on the overlook atop Roanoke Mountain to discuss their upcoming "spy mission", which was really Klenner's murder of the Newsoms in W-S. The dusk-to-dawn light outside my cabin was clearly visible from the overlook at the time and was literally the only light on the mountain you could see from there in 1985. Cabin life can be creepy at times due to the activities of mountain critters at night - it was pretty unnerving to discover that a psychopath and his dupe had discussed crazy shit while probably looking down at your home. I couldn't get that out of my head and sold the cabin to be rid of the memory.

BTW, I remember Susie Newsome from my early Wake days, mainly because she was very pretty, and the fact that a friend asked her out several times. Coincidently, that friend was my first visitor at the cabin and the first to see one of the resident BFRs.

Back