• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

#icebucketchallenge

I did the Cold Water Challenge back earlier in the summer when it was primarily done by firefighters. It was structured a little different in that, you named the charity of your choice rather than everyone give to a specific charity, which I preferred. It brought attention, awareness, and donations to a variety of charities, so it was a win win. Good job ALS for capitalizing on a fad. I dont see this being any worse than the Susan Komen walks, at least a majority of the ALS money should be going directly towards finding a cure.

The idea is genius; both things are a positive for the charity. Either you donate which is obviously a benefit, or you pour water over your head and post the video on facebook, thus perpetuating the cycle for other people which ultimately will bring in more donations. I mean I've been scrolling my feed for the last week and basically every other post is someone dumping water on their head, but it's not any dumber than most of the crap people post on facebook.

Just read that it's now raised over $13 million. Yes the videos are getting old and repetitive, but the amount of money raised is just awesome. I'm surprised people haven't gotten more creative with these videos... Like finding ridiculous ways to dump the water, or switching to some other form of "punishment".

It takes a special level of douchebag to shit on the ice bucket challenge.

The positives massively outweigh the perceived negatives, and the numbers for ALS are staggering.

Just read that it's now raised over $13 million. Yes the videos are getting old and repetitive, but the amount of money raised is just awesome. I'm surprised people haven't gotten more creative with these videos... Like finding ridiculous ways to dump the water, or switching to some other form of "punishment".

like this guy?

safe_image.php

ESPN had a great segment on Pete Frates, the former BC baseball player who has been raising money for ALS since his own diagnosis a few years ago and who started the challenge this summer

Warning: it may get a little dusty in the room

ESPN had a great segment on Pete Frates, the former BC baseball player who has been raising money for ALS since his own diagnosis a few years ago and who started the challenge this summer

Warning: it may get a little dusty in the room

His friend, who apparently pitched the idea to him, tragically died over the weekend when he jumped off a building into shallow water and drowned while celebrating how popular and how much money the idea had raised.

His friend, who apparently pitched the idea to him, tragically died over the weekend when he jumped off a building into shallow water and drowned while celebrating how popular and how much money the idea had raised.

Seriously? That's horrible.

boo, how much money does it cost to charter a helicopter to dump water on your head?

http://www.tmz.com/2014/08/13/paul-bissonnette-extreme-ice-bucket-challenge-cheap-low-cost-nhl/

Bissonnette's heard Internet haters chirping that his caper was a waste of money, and he should have just donated the production cost to ALS research -- but turns out it was way less expensive than you'd think.

According to Paul ... he only dropped $175 to fill the chopper with gas, and a few other supplies.
He and his friends also donated $1000 to the cause.

Friend of mine got Shirley Temple water poured on him last night, aka Grenadine, water and 7up. GROSS. He did give $500 so that's impressive.

lol no. A helicopter can cost a couple thousand per flight hour in maintenance costs.

Back