• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

#icebucketchallenge

What that article and the "cannibalism" argument ignore is the number of people who gave who would not have given charitably at all otherwise, the percentage of which, granted the medium by which it is being shared and the number of young people involved, is probably reasonably high.

Yea. That article seems to have a problem with fundraising in general.

I question the assertion that 50% of the ALS donations would have been donated anyway

all of this. that's one of the articles i read before starting the thread.

What that article and the "cannibalism" argument ignore is the number of people who gave who would not have given charitably at all otherwise, the percentage of which, granted the medium by which it is being shared and the number of young people involved, is probably reasonably high.

I think the 50% argument is more valid when looking at money raised, not number of donors. 500 young people dumping ice on their head and giving $10 compared to a celebrity who would have given the $5,000 to another cause. I don't think it's a 1:1 people ratio.

My only problem is people are doing it wrong. So you throw some ice into some lukewarm water and 10 seconds later get it thrown over your head. Not impressed. You need to let that shit marinate and it should be mostly ice, not water.

I think the 50% argument is more valid when looking at money raised, not number of donors. 500 young people dumping ice on their head and giving $10 compared to a celebrity who would have given the $5,000 to another cause. I don't think it's a 1:1 people ratio.

And I wasn't arguing the entire argument is invalid, just incomplete. This is almost reminiscent of Zizek's theory of "cultural capitalism" e.g.,

I'm setting up a $500 or you drink your own urine challenge for erectile dysfunction. Should raise millions.

I think the whole thing exposes a flaw in charitable giving as a means to solve problems. If the eradication of a disease is in any way based on people dumping water on their heads then we're already fucked.

I think the whole thing exposes a flaw in charitable giving as a means to solve problems. If the eradication of a disease is in any way based on people dumping water on their heads then we're already fucked.

Not a completely untrue or outrageous statement. For example cancer, everyone hates cancer especially Townie. So say Susan G, well that charity brings in 420 million, but about 15% or 63 million goes to research. Even the American Cancer Society is bringing in 924 million with a much better percentage of research coming in at 586 million for research. The National Cancer Institute, their budget is $4.923 billion. Sure the charities raise much better awareness and contribute especially during times like these where research grants are being cut and outside external funding is needed, but in reality most funding comes indirectly and doesn't make you feel good and that's your taxes. So if you really want to help eradicate your favorite disease advocate for better science funding from our government. Instead of 1 trillion dollars or 18 billion a year for the dumb F35s, raise the NCI budget 100% to 10 billion, hell raise it 2 billion more, just one less plane is a 5% increase.

wait isn't it better for ALS if you don't actually take the challenge? don't you end up donating more money?

I guess I can see where the backlash against this seems jerky and what not...but I've got something to top it.

The backlash against the backlash has started on Facebook and its absolutely a shit show. Facebook is really entertaining and a great picture of the lowest common denominator, even more than these boards! ;)

Not sure where the boards stand on the ALS Ice Bucket challenge, but I got cookoutdeac and DeacFan2009 really good tonight.

I guarantee-damn-tee the kids I teach had no idea what ALS was three weeks ago. They know now.

Nobody seems to have mentioned this, but doesn't it seem a bit cruel that the 'challenge' is to dump freezing water on yourself? i.e. to simulate the conditions of ALS? Pretty sadistic, if you ask me.

Or maybe it is just a gimmick.

wait isn't it better for ALS if you don't actually take the challenge? don't you end up donating more money?

Not really. 1 person donates $100 or that person donated $10 and nominates 2+ more people who either donate $100 or $10 and keep the ball rolling. The net is much larger with the latter.

Not really. 1 person donates $100 or that person donated $10 and nominates 2+ more people who either donate $100 or $10 and keep the ball rolling. The net is much larger with the latter.

ALS is Amway?

Why does anyone care what people spend to host these different challenges? Every cent given over $0.00 is probably a cent that otherwise would have never been given were it not for these gimmicks.

Our collective attention span and rush to fatigue/jadedness has gotten out of control. People will complain about anything.

#spurshubris

I love it! Proof is in the pudding, and the amount raised is amazing compared to years past.

REST IN PEACE our former board member “Layup” who lost his battle to ALS a year ago, August 5th 2013 - almost to the day when this social media craze started.

“For Pete’s Sake” I hope it keeps going, and going, and going....

Last edited:
Back