• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If Bzz succeeds ...

I'll chime in on High Point in particular and then our program in general. I was happy with a 4 point win, no questions asked. The reason for this is that there are very few instances of major conference teams going into such situations (AT a low major, in a down year for the BCS team, etc). I don't understand why we schedule that game at all.

But fans of all stripes regularly underestimate the importance of home court. Especially in the case of a team circling a game on the schedule. It's worth more than normal in such a game. It's the same reason I actually picked us to beat UVA last year in spite of us being BY FAR the worst team in the conference. That 4 point win was equivalent to about 12 point win on our home court, which is right in line with what we've seen all year. That has to be separated from the strength of our program on the whole. That is, given the strength of our program, that was a good result.

Now as to our program this year. I realize the circumstances of last year and how difficult they were. I also realize how poorly we handled those circumstances. I think [Redacted] can coach and does an excellent job of adjusting within games. We always seem to do well starting games this year, we do well coming out of timeouts, our best players are taking by far the most shots, etc. That speaks positively to him. However, I'm still skeptical as to whether he is the right person to reach the heights we expect to reach.

From what I've seen among my fellow Wake alums, season ticket holders, etc, there's a lot more apathy than excitement. It's tough to continue improving recruiting without excitement in the fan base. We need better players to win. That's a tough hole he's dug himself that will be difficult to overcome.

As to this season, we're probably slightly exceeding expectations. I had us at 12-19 (3-13). It now looks like 14-17 (4-12). If that holds up, it's enough not to move the meter of fan base sentiment further to the negative side of things, but probably not enough to win over the majority of the fan base either. Which will put a lot of pressure on the team next year. I'll tentatively pencil in 17-13 (7-11) next year assuming a similar schedule, and you can draw your own opinion of whether that's trending far enough upwards.

"moving the goalposts" is such a stupid cliche. I cannot stand that phrase.

Just... you know... throwing that out there or something.

I wouldn't say that the goalposts are moving. I think it's more that the closer you get to the goalposts the more you want a touchdown.

I would use another term if one fit as well.

And I think you are right as well Ph. It's all relative. When we were one of the worst teams in major conference history, a 15 win season looked like a decent goal. Now that we don't look as terrible that goal is not as appealing.

I know most people on here have goat friends. Hearing them bitch about Roy and recruits like Reggie Bullock is hilarious becuase despite their success they bitch as much as everyone else.

I wouldn't say that the goalposts are moving. I think it's more that the closer you get to the goalposts the more you want a touchdown.

I agree with this.

People just need to have more perspective in my opinion. We all want success and we all want to succeed immediately. It just makes little sense in my opinion to continue to denigrate the coach and the team when they have exceeded most of our expectations, no matter how low they were.

We need to continue to improve throughout the year without question.

As I have said before, over & over. Bz has to be given time as he had to clean out all the junk left over from the Dino-Prosser mess of players. We are playing a much better brand of basketball now with defense being tried and actual playdd being run on offense.

Things should be fine in another year or so, maybe even close to what Crean has done at IU. You can't kick off or lose 4 players and have it be that good for a year or so.

As I have said before, over & over. Bz has to be given time as he had to clean out all the junk left over from the Dino-Prosser mess of players. We are playing a much better brand of basketball now with defense being tried and actual playdd being run on offense.

Things should be fine in another year or so, maybe even close to what Crean has done at IU. You can't kick off or lose 4 players and have it be that good for a year or so.

I hate it when a "mess of players" results in 2 different teams attaining a #1 ranking, and it's then replaced with a "brand of basketball" that saw us as statistically one of the worst 2 teams in the long storied history of the ACC.

I hate it when a "mess of players" results in 2 different teams attaining a #1 ranking, and it's then replaced with a "brand of basketball" that saw us as statistically one of the worst 2 teams in the long storied history of the ACC.

this.

:golfclap:

How would you have felt before the season if you were told we'd only beat High Point by 4? You'd be disgusted, right?

Happy since all anyone was talking about when the schedule came out (and even before hand) was that we would probably lose at High Point. People just always forget how they feel initially when the season starts. Everyone says "yeah we're gonna be bad" and then when we lose to teams that would constitute us actually being "bad" everyone loses their shit.

Veiled racism

That depends on how many posts you have per page.

An elite 8 appearance? Ha ha what the hell do you base that on?? If Wake does well people will admit they were wrong. Bz hasn't proved much yet, we will see what happens. Wellman's job probably rides on Bz performance as well.

Will Bzzzz make that Elite 8 appearance a week after he wins his first NCAA game?

Bzz is not Crean. Not now, not ever. Are any of you apologists actually watching this disaster?

Back