• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If you could do an ESPN 30 for 30, what would it be?

The 1981 Cincinnati Reds - they had the best record in baseball yet didn't make the postseason.

I would absolutely love to see a 30 for 30 on the politics behind Virginia Tech and Miami to the ACC thus setting into motion the entire changing of the landscape of college conferences and sports.

VT joining the ACC was all about needing UVA's vote and the VA General Assembly wouldn't permit Casteen (UVA's prez) vote for BC and the Cuse. Actually worked out well, because with FSU's and Miami's downfall in football for a while, VT was the most credible program the ACC had.

One of the better stories of a successful athlete over the last couple of decades was Juan Dixon, prolly my favorite non-Deac ever.

Jesse Owens and 1936 Olympics. It could be done really well, I think.

One of my former boss' dad was supposed to run the relay, but they ended up not letting him and another guy run because they were Jewish. Ran Owens and Metcalf instead. Guess Hitler was pissed off enough with black guys beating his aryans.

The Cincinnati Reds' 1981 season consisted of the Reds finishing with an overall record of 66-42 the National League West, putting them in first place. However, due to a split-season format, caused by a mid-season players' strike, they failed to make the MLB Playoffs that year. The Reds finished the first half of the season in second place with a record of 35-21, just one-half game behind the eventual World Champion Los Angeles Dodgers, and one-and-a-half games behind the Houston Astros in the second half, in which the Reds were 31-21, good for second place, again. The Reds were managed by John McNamara and played their home games at Riverfront Stadium.

Yeah, the one they are doing this week is about Ole Miss football and integration in 1962.

That's a new thing. The original series was 30 stories for the 30 years of ESPN.

The 1981 Cincinnati Reds - they had the best record in baseball yet didn't make the postseason.

Continuing with the Reds bias, I would love to see a documentary about Ken Griffey Jr's career completely derailing in Cincy.

Since, apparently there are no parameters on this thread, why not Steve Carlton in 1972?

One of the better stories of a successful athlete over the last couple of decades was Juan Dixon, prolly my favorite non-Deac ever.

I remember UVA kids chanting "crack baby" at him when he shot free throws. #stayclassy

Tim Donaghy - it might be impossible to do, but it would be great to get all the information about who, what, when how much, etc.

Dr. James Andrews - I would love to see behind the scenes when he tells an athlete that he needs Tommy John surgery or has a torn ACL. It could also trace the advances in sports medicine and follow the rehab process

1990-1991 UNLV basketball team - I thought this was one of the most interesting teams of the 30 years, which I thought would go undefeated until the Duke upset in the FF. This team had some real interesting personalities

You could do like 5 on Tyson
Payne vs Lefty
Prime Time
Dennis Rodman
Tiger Woods thanksgiving
Friday Night Lights
Chris Washburn

There's going to be one on the '83 state team so I'm happy there.

I'd love to see one that touched on Barry Sanders retiring early vs. guys that have played for like 15+ years and have taken an absolute beating. The whole NFL concussion issue and the attitude of understanding/coming to terms with their life expectancy being cut way short as a result of their career is super interesting to me.

Dr. James Andrews - I would love to see behind the scenes when he tells an athlete that he needs Tommy John surgery or has a torn ACL. It could also trace the advances in sports medicine and follow the rehab process

Yeah that would be a really awesome. I watched Point Break the other day and realized how dated it was when Utah had a ridic knee injury that put him out for 2 years. #science

Terrell Suggs coming back ~6 months after blowing out his ACL is nuts.

Mark Fidrych. The classic flash in the pan to tragic death story. Or did they do this one? I haven't kept up.

Back