• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If you were magically given musical ability ...

RicoSuave

Reaction score
If you were magically given the ability to play any 1 song on any instrument with the highest level of proficiency (like the mechanic on the 80s TV show "Wings"), what song and instrument would you pick?

I would definitely pick the piano, and my song would probably be "Wave" by Antonio Carlos Jobim because I love bossa nova jazz. Another top song for me would be "Moanin'" by Miles Davis / Art Blakey.

I love the sound of the guitar especially with a band, but solo piano (with no other accompaniment) tends to be more impressive when a talented musician is playing. And jazz doesn't put some people to sleep like classical symphonic music does.

I would like to be able to play Beethoven's no. 9 on the kazoo.

piano- Rachmoninov's piano concerto no. 1... all 25-ish min of its glory.

Probably "Giant Steps" by John Coltrane. If I could play that, I'd have the proficiency to play anything I wanted. Unless of course you're saying that proficiency doesn't transfer, in which case I'd have to reconsider my choice.

Guitar - Smoke on the water
no explanation needed.

that song is hella easy, its like the first song I learned. Because I'm assuming you aren't talking about the solo (which nobody knows)

smoke on the water is electric guitar 101

smoke on the water is electric guitar 101

yeah, you don't even need all of your fingers to play it. a 3-toed ninja turtle could do it. #powerchordsftw

Piano. I'd use it on a Lao Tizer instrumental called "Golden Soul".

Either that or any number of Bruce Hornsby songs, maybe "The Way It Is".

Hmm, now that I think about it, the sax would be awesome. Think of all the great 80's songs you could pick from. Maybe that's just me. I'm a sucker for 80's music with saxophones.

Piano. I'd use it on a Lao Tizer instrumental called "Golden Soul".

Either that or any number of Bruce Hornsby songs, maybe "The Way It Is".

Hmm, now that I think about it, the sax would be awesome. Think of all the great 80's songs you could pick from. Maybe that's just me. I'm a sucker for 80's music with saxophones.

Someone's got you beat:

Probably "Giant Steps" by John Coltrane. If I could play that, I'd have the proficiency to play anything I wanted. Unless of course you're saying that proficiency doesn't transfer, in which case I'd have to reconsider my choice.

Proficiency doesn't transfer. It does in real life, but this is a magical situation. You might master other songs, but you'd have to work for it. The 1 magic song is a "gimme".

If you were magically given the ability to play any 1 song on any instrument with the highest level of proficiency (like the mechanic on the 80s TV show "Wings"), what song and instrument would you pick?

I would definitely pick the piano, and my song would probably be "Wave" by Antonio Carlos Jobim because I love bossa nova jazz. Another top song for me would be "Moanin'" by Miles Davis / Art Blakey.

I love the sound of the guitar especially with a band, but solo piano (with no other accompaniment) tends to be more impressive when a talented musician is playing. And jazz doesn't put some people to sleep like classical symphonic music does.

I'm actually really in to bossa piano right now. Its just pretty much the perfect music. So melodic and moody.

Working on some samba and cuban stuff too. Latin jazz is the shit. I pretty much skipped regular jazz on piano and went straight to the latin stuff.

Back