• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If you were magically given musical ability ...

having been stuck on the same level of guitar proficiency for about 15 years, I'm going to say guitar. No other instrument gets as much pussy as guitar.

drums would be my second choice.

Piano, without a doubt. Mostly because there are pianos just sitting around everywhere. I wouldn't mind wandering up to one and being able to throw down Fur Elise without thinking about it.

I would like to sing this song as well as Marshall Thompson(thanks for the help Wiki) of The Chi Lites

Play the drums as well as Stuart Copeland of The Police does on this song

Play as awesome on the guitar as Barry Goudreau of Boston on this song

Since the first day I saw this video I've wanted to be able to play this song:

He's pretty great at the acoustic guitar, which would benefit me greatly

I would play The Rains of Castamere at RJ's family reunion

Guitar on The Song Remains the Same by Zep

Crank it

Last edited:
the composition of pieces is as, if not more, impressive as the performances themselves.

Sultans of Swing, Mark Knopfler

Last edited:
I'm too shy to perform, so I'd take the ability to write a truly great work of music criticism. It's borderline impossible to mix objectivity and subjectivity the way the best writers can, as well as the fluid mix of formal language, humor, and jargon.

Awesome, can you play "Wave"? Do you have any Chucho Valdez CDs?

I have Chucho CDs and vinyls. I saw him play a few years ago. Incredible. I really like bebo as well. RIP.

This right here, is my jam. Play it all the time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3uN3nqBb1s

Sidenote, I'm going to see Poncho Sanchez tomorrow night in DC.

I'd have to look up Wave. Jobim is a titan and I know the song is a standard but I haven't tried it yet.

I have had a kind of backward approach to piano. I learned guitar in high school and have really only gotten in to piano in the last 5 years or so. I sort of transposed everything I knew about guitar in to piano. And now I'm pretty far ahead on piano compared to where I was on guitar. Really easier to learn music on piano first, in retrospect, but oh well. I have no formal music background and can barely read sheet music at all (trying to work on it though).

But I know chords. And if I have the chords in front of me I can figure out the melody pretty easily/quickly if I know the song. The real trick with the latin stuff are the rhythms. These dudes who mixed jazz chord progressions with latin rhythms and basically created bossa out of thin air are such badasses.

Last edited:
I'm too shy to perform, so I'd take the ability to write a truly great work of music criticism. It's borderline impossible to mix objectivity and subjectivity the way the best writers can, as well as the fluid mix of formal language, humor, and jargon.

Most townie post ever and I love it.

lol, yep.

semi-related... did anyone else see the Stairway to Heaven cover by Heart at the Kennedy Awards? It might be old news, but the performance is absolutely amazing and it made Robert Plant cry (good cry).

Back