• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

I'll just leave this here....

In response:

http://www.wkamaubell.com/2014/04/so-that-happened-pt-2/

And my response to Bill got my biggest laugh of the night. I said to Bill that Black people talk to each other differently when we aren’t around white people. (True. Sorry, White people.) I thought that would be that. But this clip has turned out to be a Rorschach test for ignorance. If you think he gotcha’ed me or the panel, I feel sorry for you.

And the real freaking bummer of all of this is that there is an awesome conversation to be had in the two different quotes from Ryan and the First Lady.

1. Is there a difference between what Paul Ryan said and what Michelle Obama said? (Yes, it’s called context.)
2. What is the difference between “othering” and “identifying”? (In one you are outside of the group of which you speak – Ryan. In the second you are a member of the group you are talking about – Michelle Obama was raised on the South Side of Chicago. It doesn’t get much “blacker”.)
3. Does context change the meaning of rhetoric? (Yes. Dramatically.)
4. Does Michelle Obama’s quote being pulled out of the middle of a commencement address that was in front of an audience of people who likely have direct relationships to the issues she is referencing play substantially differently than two white Neo-Cons in the echo chamber of conservative talk radio? (Umm… Yes.)
5. Is Michelle Obama’s quote potentially problematic? (Sure. But let’s discuss and… Oops, Bill says we’re moving on.)

I suppose this is "our" sincere attempt to solve a problem by shouting at people who offer proven solutions in good faith. Or maybe Michelle Obama's racism is an underrated commodity.

Do "we" want to solve this, or not? I can't tell.

I'm not going to waste energy on this thread, but context, jh. Context.

I'm not going to waste energy on this thread, but context, jh. Context.

Let's not break a sweat over the message; let's go all in on the messenger and context. Seems like a great approach. The hard part is keeping up the straight face that we're just one "honest and open dialogue" away from turning the corner.

Good ideas are good ideas. If you're concerned enough about the problem, you're not going to nuke good ideas from people you don't want to hear them from. Maher nailed it. Good for him.

Last edited:
You're a strange dude.

Hope you find whatever it is you're looking for and it makes you happy

You're a strange dude.

Hope you find whatever it is you're looking for and it makes you happy

Finding solutions to really big problems that are hurting people seems like as good thing to look for with one's time. Let's solve these problems and not care who gets the credit or context. What do you say?

Last edited:
keep-calm-and-don-t-feed-the-troll-22.png

I'm trying to understand this. Are you referring to Paul Ryan here?

Try harder. Maher makes a fairly obvious point.

If someone sincerely cares about finding the solution to a problem, they wouldn't reject good ideas out of hand because they didn't come from the "right" corners. We need less of that kind of thinking (in politics generally and around here).

eta: The fact that people are committing the same sin on this thread is both hilarious and telling. Keep up the fine work, gents. Never change.

Last edited:
I watched the episode a week ago, I know what the clip is about. I'm not watching a video at work. I'm asking you what you are referring to in your next post chief.

edit: I know hes trolling I dont care

awesome, i LOVE these threads where jh builds a fortress around a singular point and withstands the siege

6a00ccff930f92d75600e398b6613f0001.jpg

#neverfails

I watched the episode a week ago, I know what the clip is about. I'm not watching a video at work. I'm asking you what you are referring to in your next post chief.

edit: I know hes trolling I dont care

I appreciate the acclimation to chief. I assume all of the other candidates have been notified. This is quite an honor.

To answer your question, when people on the left demonize "Paul Ryan" for proposing an idea that is "racist" later find out that the idea in fact came from the First Lady (and then try to backtrack with some intellectual off-ramp about context, or trolling, or whatever), their insincerity on the issue is exposed. Significantly, it takes Obama's million dollar man to expose it, because if someone on the right did it they would be dismissed with the next slur on the Liberal Bingo Card ("racist" has already been punched in this argument, so maybe go with "Koch Brothers" or "Fox News", or their kin). Garbage in, garbage out. Among other examples, when a private citizen donates his private funds to a PAC against Prop 8, he's unfit for private leadership of a software company that will not pass one policy that impacts gay marriage (heresy has its price, you know...), but when the President espoused the same position publicly at the exact same time as a matter of public policy, he's the change we've been waiting for. Or are we going to chalk up this hypocrisy to context again?

I'm glad Bill Maher did what he did; my hope is that it would lead to an introspective moment for some. It seems from the equally predictable reaction, that I overestimated the Tunnels. I'll go back into my hole again. Good day to you, Sirs.

To answer your question, when people on the right demonize "Affirmative Action" as an idea that is "racist" later find out that the idea in fact came from the U.S. Military (and then try to backtrack with some intellectual off-ramp about context, or trolling, or whatever), their insincerity on the issue is exposed.

To answer your question, when people on the right demonize "Affirmative Action" as an idea that is "racist" later find out that the idea in fact came from the U.S. Military (and then try to backtrack with some intellectual off-ramp about context, or trolling, or whatever), their insincerity on the issue is exposed.

Except when they don't.

I'm happy to tell you that discriminating on the basis of race is as bad today in college admissions and it is bad in other contexts and at other times. That's a bad idea no matter who says it.

P.S. On the subject of fashionable racial discrimination, what did you think about the #CancelColbert kerfluffle?

If I read this thread, would I think that JHMD is a jackass? Not at all.

Back