• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

I'll just leave this here....

You are right. What rich white kid in the suburbs doesn't sit around watching TV, playing video games, and fantasizing about being a baller or a rapper, instead of becoming a teacher?

You are right. What rich white kid in the suburbs doesn't sit around watching TV, playing video games, and fantasizing about being a baller or a rapper, instead of becoming a teacher?

This is a class issue. Most people living in poverty in this country are white.

But seriously, why can't we fix this? Why isn't finishing the achievable goal of high school a precondition for eligibility for long-term unemployment?

When you guys are ready to talk solutions (and actually listen), please advise. Until then, rest assured that racists like Michelle Obama are shouldering your share of the load.

Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur.

This is a class issue. Most people living in poverty in this country are white.

But seriously, why can't we fix this? Why isn't finishing the achievable goal of high school a precondition for eligibility for long-term unemployment?

Because humanitarians like you screw around all day on a message board?

Just tell kids to go to school, but this year, really mean it. Problem solved.

Who's going to guarantee kids a job after this precondition is met? A private company? Who's going to enforce it? Bigger government? Where do the people who don't finish school go? Ohio?

ETA: Actually, Ohio is probably too crowded with this demographic already. North Dakota might have space.

Last edited:
Because humanitarians like you screw around all day on a message board?

Just tell kids to go to school, but this year, really mean it. Problem solved.

Who's going to guarantee kids a job after this precondition is met? A private company? Who's going to enforce it? Bigger government? Where do the people who don't finish school go? Ohio?

If you finish high school you make 50% more than somebody who doesn't. Are you ready to start conditioning "entitlements" on finishing the free high school provided, or do you not believe that other people are up to it?

That's a statistic, which no one is arguing with btw, not a solution or a plan.

That's a statistic, which no one is arguing with btw, not a solution or a plan.

Why not condition so-called entitlement eligibility on that achievable goal?

Because it doesn't solve the problem of what occurs when it doesn't happen. Again your solution is go to school. Solid. We all agree. Everyone should aim to graduate high school.

When people don't graduate high school aka reality, what are your proposals?

The speaker is talking about a real problem. No one is saying otherwise. But you have lept upon this little trick a comedian pulled on his show thinking it proves some kind of point you are making.

Yes, it is a real problem.

No, your solution would not fix it, or fix anything, because it is a non-solution. It was dreamed up in the mind of a fiction writer and has been exalted as some kind of work of genius by people who resent the poor.

It would save you money, presumably, on your taxes - and it would relieve your anxiety about poor people, but it wouldn't make American kids stop playing video games and jump up and become lawyers (like we need more fucking lawyers) or engineers.

What would make them jump up and become earners of a good wage and have long careers would be...jobs with good wages and long careers. :noidea:

The speaker is talking about a real problem. No one is saying otherwise. But you have lept upon this little trick a comedian pulled on his show thinking it proves some kind of point you are making.

Yes, it is a real problem.

No, your solution would not fix it, or fix anything, because it is a non-solution. It was dreamed up in the mind of a fiction writer and has been exalted as some kind of work of genius by people who resent the poor.

It would save you money, presumably, on your taxes - and it would relieve your anxiety about poor people, but it wouldn't make American kids stop playing video games and jump up and become lawyers (like we need more fucking lawyers) or engineers.

What would make them jump up and become earners of a good wage and have long careers would be...jobs with good wages and long careers. :noidea:

Having too many engineers is the least of America's issues.

Ok, the punctuation threw me off. I thought you were lumping too many lawyers with too many engineers.

I see now you were not.

When you guys are ready to talk solutions (and actually listen), please advise. Until then, rest assured that racists like Michelle Obama are shouldering your share of the load.

The purpose of this thread was all about solutions. See below.

Bill Maher knew that his panelists were far more interested in scoring political points than actually solving problems. He was 100% right.

Reactions: ONW
The purpose of this thread was all about solutions. See below.

My proposed solutions are the same expectations I have for my own children, who apparently much like Michelle Obama, I have (to hear it told) a high degree of racism against since I believe they can and should finish public education to the best of their God-given ability.

It's a matter of statistical fact (linked twice now) that your annual income increases by nearly 50% if you finish the public high school afforded to you for free. That existing, common sense, reliable and proven method for social and economic advancement needs to be the bedrock of our plan to help people struggling to make their way in the world, yet so many of the so-called entitlement programs offer no tangible incentive to complete the self-help part of the equation. For the life of me I can't figure out why? What would it hurt to share the First Lady's ambition and expectation, and to establish the expectation that if you do your part, you will have more public (as well as private) opportunities?

If someone drops out of high school, their biggest problem is not that they are long-term unemployed, it's that they are long-term unemployable. Patching their present problem with a series of extensions of long-term (and getting longer) dependency programs isn't a cure, it's morphine for a patient you've written off. Why can't we aspire to doing better for that person? Why not condition their eligibility for long-term unemployment upon finishing their GED?

Why not?

siege87kr.jpg

Back