• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

I'm Moving to Portland!

lbE08

Stegosaurus are bush league
Reaction score
Found out on Thursday, have had to keep it under wraps until ...well, until today. Pretty stoked, very excited, kind of terrified.

I suppose this doesn't have to be its own thread, unless people have words of wisdom about:
a) moving across the country
b) the pacific northwest
c) how to wrap your mind around moving across the country
d) what it will be like to live in a place where nobody has heard of Wake Forest
e) whether i should have blind preference to the Beavers or to the Ducks.

My mind is kind of like this right now: :tard::plos::eek::D:tard:

You'll love Portland, no doubt. The hardest part will be missing Wake Sports (and peopel to talk about Wake sports), but the boards are still here.

If driving, always have the following in your car at your disposal:
-Beef jerky (road trip sustenance)
-Sunflower seeds (a mindless driving activity to get you through flyover country)
-iPod adaptor (it'll be about a 45 hour drive...)

Drive through Colorado. It's worth it.

Hit up Smoove, about 4.5 hours south.

The Pacific Northwest is awesome. Not very warm, but not very cold. Lots of scenery. Very liberal. Very outdoorsy. I know a few people who moved to Seattle and Portland on a whim after graduating. They love it. I almost moved to Seattle myself, and would definitely entertain the thought in the future.

I think most people will have heard of Wake Forest. My parents live in Nevada and I have yet to encounter anyone (college educated) who had never heard of Wake when I visit them. I guess you can always say you're from Illinois as a last resort :noidea: :rulz:

Deacs first, then Ducks. Definitely Ducks over Beavers.

Congratulations, lbE! When do you move?

Concerning the transition, I would suggest getting involved in community activities, philanthropic work, a church, or something similar so that you can broaden your network past the people with whom you'll be working. Otherwise, your social life might get stale very quickly.

Welcome to Oregon! It's a pretty cool place to live. Definitely invest in some rain gear. And definitely root for the Ducks. If you ever want to come down here and see some theater, I can hook you up with tickets galore...

Are you going to be driving out here? I did that in September when I moved back here. It was pretty nice. It would have been awesome, but I had to hustle out here to make auditions, so I wasn't able to take my time.

PM me for specifics.

lbE is finally fulfilling her destiny of living in Portland ... you're going to absolutely love it there, I can't think of anywhere in the world I'd think you'd enjoy more. Good luck :)

I am unbelievably jealous of you right now. When are you headed out there?

Congrats on the move lbe. I know you are moving for his job, are you finished with grad school yet? Any idea what you want to do jobwise out there? I've only been to the NW once, for the Seattle Bowl. It was beautiful out there.

Congratulations. I personally don't think that I could do it.

Congrats!

Moving sucks. Moving across the country sucks times about a million. Hire a company to move your stuff.

If you don't hire a company, it may be common sense, but only take the things you absolutely have to. If you're really lucky, you won't have much to move.

Definitely take the opportunity to drive across the country if you're not extremely well-traveled in the midwest and west.

Portland is awesome.

Congrats!

Moving sucks. Moving across the country sucks times about a million. Hire a company to move your stuff.

If you don't hire a company, it may be common sense, but only take the things you absolutely have to. If you're really lucky, you won't have much to move.

Definitely take the opportunity to drive across the country if you're not extremely well-traveled in the midwest and west.

Portland is awesome.

Getting a professional mover to take your stuff cross country will cost a small fortune. Unless you have lots of stuff or have some kind of relocation assistance, I'd try and do it yourself.

Found out on Thursday, have had to keep it under wraps until ...well, until today. Pretty stoked, very excited, kind of terrified.

I suppose this doesn't have to be its own thread, unless people have words of wisdom about:
a) moving across the country
b) the pacific northwest
c) how to wrap your mind around moving across the country
d) what it will be like to live in a place where nobody has heard of Wake Forest
e) whether i should have blind preference to the Beavers or to the Ducks.

My mind is kind of like this right now: :tard::plos::eek::D:tard:

Wake owns the Ducks in football. I daresay they'll have heard of Wake...:D

Did someone just mention Greensboro and Portland in the same sentence?

Back