• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

I'm Moving to Portland!

Cannon Beach and haystack rock on the Oregon coast are beautiful. Spend a romantic weekend there for sure. Added bonus: they filmed a lot of the Goonies there and around Astoria, which is cool to see.

Congrats - never been there, but from what I've heard, it should be perfect for you.

Everbody out there will tell you that the beautiful summers make it worth the clouds, and the summers are great but short. I missed east coast weather about now, when good weather out there is still a couple months away and I knew it was beautiful back home.

Absolutely true.. I am completely OK with weather in the pacific northwest except for March and April. Those months make me want to move back to North Carolina. Definitely plan your vacations for those months if you can.

I guess this thread is finally the tipping point to get me to register for the new boards. Thanks, lbe!

I lived in Portland for three years and absolutely loved it. I live in Eugene now, but Portland is definitely one of my all-time favorite cities. I honestly can't think of too many bad things to say about it.

I also did the cross-country move from NC to OR with a rented U-Haul and it was the suck. Avoid moving yourself at all costs, but definitely enjoy the drive if you can. My wife and I split it up so we could stop and visit a new microbrewery in as many cities and states as possible, which was a cool way to get from one coast to the other. It is a beautiful (but very, very long) drive.

Whatever issues you're having as you prepare to make the move, I've probably been through them before. It was a massive headache, so feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about Portland or the whole moving process. I'll stop short of volunteering to help you move into your new house (unless you provide pizza and beer ... then I could be swayed), but I'm always happy to help out a fellow Deac. Good luck!

One of the great thing about Portland is that you are close to Bend. Bend is awesome, 2nd only to Moab for mtn biking. Plus, it has better beer (Deschuttes).

The hard part is keeping it a secret. Oregon truly is an amazing state.

That's awesome lbe! Keep us posted. I totally owe you a beer before you leave the triangle, so let me know if you guys want to grab a drink one night. Hopefully we'll be moving west before too much longer. We both want to get out of NC (and away from family) for a while.

I lived in Olympia, WA, for a few years...about 1.5 hours north of Portland. Portland is a cool town. There is tons to do. There is GREAT hiking and camping just outside of town. Definitely hit up the Olympic Penninsula for that as well. The cloudy weather and rain didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. Everbody out there will tell you that the beautiful summers make it worth the clouds, and the summers are great but short. I missed east coast weather about now, when good weather out there is still a couple months away and I knew it was beautiful back home.

Enjoy the drive out. We did it with 2 dogs and took our time. Took a different route out and back. It's awesome if you can take some time and aren't pushing for time. While you are there, a great vacation is to take a drive through OR/CA down to San Francisco. You go through the Redwoods, down the coast and Sonoma and San Fran is an incredible city. One of our best vacations ever.

If you ever find yourself in Olympia, go to Old School Pizza dowtown. It is the best pizza place on earth, hands down. There's also an excellent microbrewery there...Fish Brewery. Great beer and excellent food too.

Sounds exciting. Have fun!
Funny reading an old Rubbins post before he grew his tired schtick.

Seriously, Ribbons. There's no one who enjoys a Ribbons post. And imma troll that can even appreciate Moonz and BKF. But I still just skip over any of your posts that are more than 2 sentences

#make Rubbins Great Again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cannon Beach and haystack rock on the Oregon coast are beautiful. Spend a romantic weekend there for sure. Added bonus: they filmed a lot of the Goonies there and around Astoria, which is cool to see.
I didn't even turn to the next page. Rubbins talks romantic weekends!

Jealous haters gonna hate! That's how I know I'm doing it right, when y'all boring noobs be hatin! Yes! Rubbins Great Again!

Back