• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

I'm Moving to Portland!

1. i'm soooo jealous.
2. the last time i was in portland, i was going through security at the airport and had on a wake shirt. one of the guys directing people through security said something to me about "wake forest? you're kind of far from home right now, aren't you?" so there are definitely people over there who know about wake. i wouldn't worry too much about it.

go to the big bookstore (i can't remember the name, but you'll figure it out in less than 2 seconds once you're there), and send me an email while you're there. i need to live vicariously through you.

I have an old friend who just moved to Beaverton about a month ago. Congrats

Getting a professional mover to take your stuff cross country will cost a small fortune. Unless you have lots of stuff or have some kind of relocation assistance, I'd try and do it yourself.

Yeah, it will cost a lot, which is why it's preferable to dump everything except absolute smaller essentials and drive them across country yourself.

As someone who has moved a small house halfway across the country (19 hours) through smaller mountains than she will have to, using a 25-foot Penske truck, it's not worth it to try to do it all yourself.

Never again.

1. i'm soooo jealous.
2. the last time i was in portland, i was going through security at the airport and had on a wake shirt. one of the guys directing people through security said something to me about "wake forest? you're kind of far from home right now, aren't you?" so there are definitely people over there who know about wake. i wouldn't worry too much about it.

go to the big bookstore (i can't remember the name, but you'll figure it out in less than 2 seconds once you're there), and send me an email while you're there. i need to live vicariously through you.

Powell's - it's amazing. Seriously, it's like Disneyland for those of us who are incurable bibliophiles.

Hooray, thanks all for the support!
We're pretty excited, but the excitement is tinged with the 'holy shit' factor of trying to fathom the logistics of getting ourselves, the dog, 5 bikes, and a whole lot of other stuff across the country. THANKFULLY the process is paid for, and we will absolutely either get space on a commercial truck or do something w/ the PODS (you load them, they ship them) to get our stuff out there. Either way, it's going to be a stressful time.
We've still not figured out logistics of getting us/the dog out- right now it's looking like J will drive out (lucky) a little ahead of me (he's supposed to start there June 5), and I'll tie up some loose ends here before flying out with the dog probably mid-late June. This may change if I get either of the two positions I've applied for out there (city gov't positions in Milwaukie and Salem, respectively... Salem would be a commute, but the job is worth it).
I will most definitely be checking out Powells, as well as as many microbreweries as possible while I'm there :) Everything I've heard about Portland so far has been amazing (except for cloudy/dreary winters), and we are both very excited for this next big adventure! It's SO surreal right now!

CrapshootDeac lived there for a few years (i think he is in Eugene now). not sure if he's made it to the new boards but worth a shot to PM him on the old ones.

I was working for the moving company and a guy was doing the PODS and when we showed up he say, "my wife says we can only do one pod. Anything that doesnt fit has to stay. If y'all can make everything fit there is an extra $100 in it for each of you."

That was a good day.

I lived in Olympia, WA, for a few years...about 1.5 hours north of Portland. Portland is a cool town. There is tons to do. There is GREAT hiking and camping just outside of town. Definitely hit up the Olympic Penninsula for that as well. The cloudy weather and rain didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. Everbody out there will tell you that the beautiful summers make it worth the clouds, and the summers are great but short. I missed east coast weather about now, when good weather out there is still a couple months away and I knew it was beautiful back home.

Enjoy the drive out. We did it with 2 dogs and took our time. Took a different route out and back. It's awesome if you can take some time and aren't pushing for time. While you are there, a great vacation is to take a drive through OR/CA down to San Francisco. You go through the Redwoods, down the coast and Sonoma and San Fran is an incredible city. One of our best vacations ever.

If you ever find yourself in Olympia, go to Old School Pizza dowtown. It is the best pizza place on earth, hands down. There's also an excellent microbrewery there...Fish Brewery. Great beer and excellent food too.

Sounds exciting. Have fun!

Last edited:
I've never been to Portland but from everything I've heard (including this thread) it seems like the kind of place you will love. NC will miss you but have so much fun in your new adventure!

Definitely hit up a Portland Timbers match. They currently have the best atmosphere in the country

You may want to look into ABF as an option. They are another one that you load it yourself.

I just started pricing my move to Florida. It's going to suck.

My cousin and her husband live in Portland and LOVE it. I really want to go visit some time but haven't made it out yet.

And if you're into funky jewelry, my cousin has a shop somewhere in Portland and also sells her stuff on Etsy. From her blog it seems like there are a ton of sweet independent and crafty clothing, jewelry, etc shops all over.

I have nothing of value to add other than that I want to come visit you. :thumbsup:

:plos:

Found out on Thursday, have had to keep it under wraps until ...well, until today. Pretty stoked, very excited, kind of terrified.

I suppose this doesn't have to be its own thread, unless people have words of wisdom about:
a) moving across the country
b) the pacific northwest
c) how to wrap your mind around moving across the country
d) what it will be like to live in a place where nobody has heard of Wake Forest
e) whether i should have blind preference to the Beavers or to the Ducks.

My mind is kind of like this right now: :tard::plos::eek::D:tard:

I've done my share of moving around, including a move out west then back east again.

Based on your recent post, it sounds like you need to pack and get on a plane, so that's not so bad.

The Pac NW is the one part of the country I have yet to visit. It sounds like it's ideal for me, one of these days I just might look into living out there.

As to how to wrap your head around moving so far, in 2011, the folks you want to keep in touch with are a keystroke away. Further, with a little preparation and the ability to keep on top of cheap flight opportunities, you can get back to NC (your location says Triangle, so based on that) for a reasonable amount of $$$. Maybe this moment in time is a bad time to say that, fares are on the rise, but assuming gas prices go back down, air fare should too. No, a weekend get-away probably isn't in the cards, but 3 or 4 day weekends could work. That's how I did it when I was in Cali.

For living where no one has heard of WF, again, the Internet keeps you as on top of things. No, you won't have water cooler discussions of the latest Wake news, but on the other hand, no one will have preconceived notions of you as a Wake grad, you get a blank slate to define yourself.

Which local team to root for? I'd wait and let them make their case. You may find you relate to one fanbase over the other.

Anyway, good luck with this. In the meantime, watch Portlandia on IFC. For example:

As to how to wrap your head around moving so far, in 2011, the folks you want to keep in touch with are a keystroke away. Further, with a little preparation and the ability to keep on top of cheap flight opportunities, you can get back to NC (your location says Triangle, so based on that) for a reasonable amount of $$$. Maybe this moment in time is a bad time to say that, fares are on the rise, but assuming gas prices go back down, air fare should too. No, a weekend get-away probably isn't in the cards, but 3 or 4 day weekends could work. That's how I did it when I was in Cali.

i haven't looked up flights recently, but the last time i went to portland, out of charlotte it was roundtrip for under $250 (and that was with absolutely no flexibility on dates. you can ALWAYS find better deals when you're flexible). so yeah, you can totally travel between the two without spending a fortune.

If you find yourself driving from Corvallis to Portland's airport in the dead of night, do not trust your Garmin as it will lead you off a dirt road to an abandoned ferry stop covered in fog.

I didn't have time for much sightseeing but the Columbia River and Mount Hood are impressive sites, to say the least.

Back