• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Impeachment: The Sequel

tenor.gif

Lawyer: There was no insurrection, also the House Managers wasted our time with 14 hours of proof of violence against the Capitol and the act of governing in which we are not contesting.

Convenient argument that the HOUSE didn't invite Trump to testify pre-impeachment. I'm sure Trump would've gladly done so.

So is this worth watching or not? Been in meetings most of the day.

So is this worth watching or not? Been in meetings most of the day.

I’m watching to try and understand the defense.

And to understand what Trumpublicans will be claiming as the “truth” of the matter.

It’s what you’d expect...mostly dishonest distraction or diversion. Fitting for their client.

Considering they're going to lose anyway, I kinda wish the prosecution would spend some time focusing on Senators who have been outspoken in their disdain for this impeachment hearing. Just straight up call out Hawley for not paying attention and cover why he's biased, read the Trump comments on Ted Cruz and his family members then quote all his bootlicking, read Lindsey Graham's anti-Trump then pro-Trump quotes, etc. Just be confrontational as hell. Make whatever is left of the middle-tier Republican crowd really have to eat a shit sandwich to vote for Trump.

For folks who don't think this matters because Trump is clearly going to be acquitted, I'm pretty curious as to the 2nd level effects here. If Trump is acquitted with virtually no significant support from the right, it's clearly the final stake in the heart of any hope that Trump and his minions will have to create their own party. That means that they will 100% run Trump, a Trump family member, or close sycophant for President. And in some ways, considering the public's opinion on this and the demographics of the country, it really could mean they have no realistic chance of winning the next Presidential race. The exodus of voters from the Republican party would likely just continue.

If instead Mitch somehow steered the party to come together minus the nutjobs and move on from Trump, you could see relieved normal conservatives flocking back to the party. I wouldn't be surprised if over 4 years of "reform" they put up a much stronger Presidential candidate.

This has probably been pointed out (I'm a day behind), but I am confident they have made the calculations and realize there are many more Trump minions/nutjobs to lose than there are normal conservatives. That's why they are sticking with Trump. For most "normal conservatives", there is no stronger motivation to vote than tax cuts and owning the libs. Trump and his nutjobs do that. They aren't going anywhere. They may make themselves feel better by calling themselves independents as they go to the polls to elect the Hawleys and Cawthornes and Trumps.

This may be the most delusion article I’ve seen about Republicans.

Even with acquittal, GOP sees trial ending Trump's shot at future office

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate...ees-trial-ending-trumps-shot-at-future-office

“"Unwittingly, they are doing us a favor. They're making Donald Trump disqualified to run for president" even if he is acquitted, the senator said.

Other Republican senators, even those who have indicated they will vote to acquit, say it would be a good thing if the impeachment trial helps distance the party from Trump, who has thoroughly dominated GOP politics over the past five years.

“I can’t imagine the emotional reaction, the visceral reaction to what we saw today doesn’t have people thinking, ‘This is awful,’ whatever their view is on whether the president ought to be impeached or convicted,” said another GOP senator. “What would stand out to my colleagues is there was no rescue, there was nothing that came to put an end to it.””

So by having a trial to officially disqualify Trump from running for President the he thinks Democrats are “unwittingly” making Trump disqualified from running for president.

First, that’s just incredibly stupid. Second, they can help but see this as partisan. Third, they’re completely wrong. If Republicans acquit, they have selected Trump as their nominee and standard bearer for the next four years. It’s amazing that they don’t see that.

This may be the most delusion article I’ve seen about Republicans.

Even with acquittal, GOP sees trial ending Trump's shot at future office

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate...ees-trial-ending-trumps-shot-at-future-office

“"Unwittingly, they are doing us a favor. They're making Donald Trump disqualified to run for president" even if he is acquitted, the senator said.

Other Republican senators, even those who have indicated they will vote to acquit, say it would be a good thing if the impeachment trial helps distance the party from Trump, who has thoroughly dominated GOP politics over the past five years.

“I can’t imagine the emotional reaction, the visceral reaction to what we saw today doesn’t have people thinking, ‘This is awful,’ whatever their view is on whether the president ought to be impeached or convicted,” said another GOP senator. “What would stand out to my colleagues is there was no rescue, there was nothing that came to put an end to it.””

So by having a trial to officially disqualify Trump from running for President the he thinks Democrats are “unwittingly” making Trump disqualified from running for president.

First, that’s just incredibly stupid. Second, they can help but see this as partisan. Third, they’re completely wrong. If Republicans acquit, they have selected Trump as their nominee and standard bearer for the next four years. It’s amazing that they don’t see that.

I think it's just wishful thinking for some of them, and for others they probably know they're wrong, but they're terrified of their own base, as others here have said. I guess they figure they better keep riding the Tiger or be eaten. If Trump does run again in '24 and gets the nomination, you've got to wonder at that point what his GOP primary opponents will be thinking, as no doubt some of them will be among the Senators who are now voting to acquit.

The last answer from Trump's team was brutal.

Q: When did Trump find out about the riot and what did he do about it?

A: We don't know. We don't know because the House didn't tell us. And even though they did tell us, their information was from the New York Times, so it's wrong. So, you know, due process or something.

bwa hahaha.
Question: when did your client know of the insurrection and what did he do about it? Be detailed
Answer: The prosecution didn't do a good job of outlining the timeline.

What?

Back