• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

In depth with Buzz

Why is a probable one and done High Point high school player (Harry Giles) getting the king treatment at WFU basketball games?

You can't win consistently in the ACC without one/two and dones. It's not possible to continuously allow the other teams to have more talent and win consistently.

It's simple reality.

My buddy talked to him at the camp they hosted last weekend. Am I wrong to think Bz should know the name of a low D1 offer kid in Winston even if he's not good enough for ACC?

Only way out of it for BZ would be if he played the "we can't talk about any recruits to anyone because of the NCAA bullshit". If you aren't a member of the media you shouldn't have to do that. Of course, dear Jeff barely knows the members of the local media so some father at a basketball camp is the media to him.

So we aren't going to recruit one and dones anymore? Considering that we have never had a one and done in the entire history of our program, that is a completely meaningless philosophy by buzz. Just another way to stretch the truth to ridiculous lengths in order to try and save whatever little face he has left.

I have yet to hear or read about another coach in the ACC complaining about how hard it is to win the right way.

So we aren't going to recruit one and dones anymore? Considering that we have never had a one and done in the entire history of our program, that is a completely meaningless philosophy by buzz. Just another way to stretch the truth to ridiculous lengths in order to try and save whatever little face he has left.

I wish somebody would make these statements at a BOT meeting...

Last edited:
Since we haven't won what they are really saying is that we are losing with integrity. That sounds like a shot at former coaches and players. Not to mention other teams as well. That is a heck of an approach to take. I wonder how much Wellman has paid the PR firm that writes their talking points for them. It is a cynical operation from top to bottom.

Last edited:
I'd wager Bz has recruited more one-and-dones than any prior Wake coach. We seem to target at least 3-5 post-grads every year. Great evidence of a sustainable program? I think not.

Who wants "one and dones?" They don't go to class and they win national championships. Just ask that loser Kentucky coach.

“A strong committed group of guys that play with passion and teamwork and can overcome those one-and-done guys."

Of course, the only success he has ever had at the college level was in the MWC and he has never won an NCAA tournament game.

Having observed and sometimes participated in this board's devolution into groupthink about Buzz it occurred to me that, simultaneously, there has been a simultaneous development of groupthink among the decision makers on the opposite side of the equation. As the Buzzout movement has hardened, the support for Buzz from the other side has equally grown stronger. The irony of the internet age where everybody's opinion is equal, regardless of knowledge and credentials, is that the range of opinion in all areas of life is reduced. I believe what we now have are two groups in hardened bunkers with little ability to influence each other. In cases like this, the rich guys win.

The question isn't who will win. We have already won. The question is when Wellman will surrender. The battle has been lost. The question is whether Wellman will nuke the program or allow the next coach to have some sort of building blocks for success. Right now it seems he is going for total devastation.

I'm so sick and tired of this all talk, no walk bullshit from Buzz.

Honestly, after clicking and reading, i almost felt like giving the OP neg rep in a kill the messenger sort of rage. My apologies, I am in control of myself now.

Not sure if the tag "give Bzz Skip's heart" is a wizard of oz, kind of thing, give the lion courage, or you're saying you want bzz to to take a mid day jog (metaphorically speaking).

Having observed and sometimes participated in this board's devolution into groupthink about Buzz it occurred to me that, simultaneously, there has been a simultaneous development of groupthink among the decision makers on the opposite side of the equation. As the Buzzout movement has hardened, the support for Buzz from the other side has equally grown stronger. The irony of the internet age where everybody's opinion is equal, regardless of knowledge and credentials, is that the range of opinion in all areas of life is reduced. I believe what we now have are two groups in hardened bunkers with little ability to influence each other. In cases like this, the rich guys win.

Yep. Facts don't matter.

Geez. He was a student during Wake's only Final Four and he still believes in Bz.

Back