• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

In depth with Buzz

But let's pretend that [Redacted] does get this turned around and lets also pretend that nobody will transfer away from him again... what would then happen in 3 seasons when basically the entire team leaves? Then the shit show just starts all over?

How is this plan possibly building the program for long-term sustainability again? None of this makes any sense if one cares to even give it a 5 minute run through their mind.

It only works if your recruiting classes are balanced numerically, if you have a negligible number of transfers, and your recruits are significantly more likely to hit rather than miss.

There is a very small handful of coaches who can pull this off, and Bz is most certainly not one of them. In fact, he is 0 for 3.

It's a plan from the 1980's and early 90's, when guys like Daughterty, Bias, Laettner, Hill, and Hurley would actually stay four years.

Someone needs to ask Ron to name one - just one - program that employs this approach today and is able to actually compete for championships. I'll make it easy: he can't.

But let's pretend that [Redacted] does get this turned around and lets also pretend that nobody will transfer away from him again... what would then happen in 3 seasons when basically the entire team leaves? Then the shit show just starts all over?

How is this plan possibly building the program for long-term sustainability again? None of this makes any sense if one cares to even give it a 5 minute run through their mind.

After "culture", to me the most infuriating Bz/Wellman bullshit talking point is "we have attained sustainability." Sustainability is having 3/4 (that's 3 or 4, not .75) seniors graduate, with 3/4 freshman replacing them the next year, while the other players mature by a year and the process repeats itself. Instead, despite how Bz says he likes junior/senior laden teams, he's set up to have a freshman dominated team 25% of the time, so he can rinse and repeat all the excuses from this year, and only have junior/senior teams half the time. I would be amazed that this is considered "sustainable" if I weren't completely inured to the bullshit.

Part of me actually wants to see what Bz can do when all the excuses, all the hindrances are stripped away. Let him coach this 8 man senior class and see what his record is. I know that would mean 3 more years of BzBall, so it's a very small part of me that wants to see that.

On this point, I was able to ask him that very question about what was going to happen with the 8-man class. He said "Well they're really starting to work together and be a good team." Then went to the next question. I interrupted and asked, "I mean once they're seniors and start to graduate. What will happen?" He just smiled and said "things have a way of working themselves out..."

Since we haven't won what they are really saying is that we are losing with integrity. That sounds like a shot at former coaches and players. Not to mention other teams as well. That is a heck of an approach to take. I wonder how much Wellman has paid the PR firm that writes their talking points for them. It is a cynical operation from top to bottom.

"Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser."
- Skip Prosser

Last edited:
Someone needs to ask Ron to name one - just one - program that employs this approach today and is able to actually compete for championships. I'll make it easy: he can't.

I think in Ronald's mind, the new model for Wake Forest is Butler. Instead of Brad Stevens, however, we have [Redacted].

So, has our boy JP admitted his AD shill-ness by virtue of the fact that he hasn't been back to respond to the legitimate questions in this thread? Hack.

On this point, I was able to ask him that very question about what was going to happen with the 8-man class. He said "Well they're really starting to work together and be a good team." Then went to the next question. I interrupted and asked, "I mean once they're seniors and start to graduate. What will happen?" He just smiled and said "things have a way of working themselves out..."

They don't for Bz.

This is the best, most clear, to the point, well thought thread from post to post on either board since this nightmare began. Just the fact that no inners are trying to argue here proves it. I agree with Wrangor that we've won. It's not about billboards or media attention any more. It's strictly the facts, and the logic behind them. Unless Wake Basketball begins to win, there will be no justification for what these fools have done, and eventually this will change. I just hope it happens before I'm gone.

We don't know if we won. That's presumptuous. It's not about Wellman and Bz. It's about the university and leadership accepting and embracing mediocrity. They'll just hire another Wellman and another Bz and stick with the culture excuses for losing.

Last edited:
I think it is very doubtful that some random divorce lawyer that makes enough to be on the BOT, actually has the authority to speak for the board.

Last edited:
If some random 40-something can speak for BSD and all of the BuzzOUT 20-somethings...

rsz_1meddlingkids_1686.jpg

So hiring a legitimate criminal to run Wake Athletics finances was a part of your vision of winning with moral integrity, Mr. Early?

LOL, I'm with dv7. I'm at the point where I just laugh at all of the nonsense and utter bullshit they are spewing. Fuck it all.

I also claim membership in this club. Its becoming harder and harder to respect anything coming out of the university. I feel like the whole thing is just one big ponzi scheme, I generally don't give a shit about anything to do with Wake anymore, which is sad, because its all I cared about growing up.

I also claim membership in this club. Its becoming harder and harder to respect anything coming out of the university. I feel like the whole thing is just one big ponzi scheme, I generally don't give a shit about anything to do with Wake anymore, which is sad, because its all I cared about growing up.

When did DV7 become part of the program????

“I have passion and commitment, too,” [Redacted] said. “I have two responsibilities. We have to win and I know that. I’m a big boy and have been around, and we are going to win. My second responsibility is to protect the integrity of Wake Forest.”

Is the integrity of our august institution (founded 1834) so tenuous, so butterfly-wing fragile that it needs [Redacted] to sacrifice wins to protect it from the rabble that would otherwise give it stain? Is he a coach or the head of the vestal virgins?

We don't know if we won. That's presumptuous. It's not about Wellman and Bz. It's about the university and leadership accepting and embracing mediocrity. They'll just hire another Wellman and another Bz and stick with the culture excuses for losing.

This is so right, Ph. The end game isn't getting rid of Wellman and Buzz. We need to have the leadership reject the defeatism these current figureheads represent. Who or what is the fountainhead of LOWF in the governing bodies?

Pretty much right on target.

How much turn around would be acceptable?

"Show me a good loser and ill show you a loser."
- Skip Prosser

Great quote.

Last edited:
Back