• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Indiana Gov. Pence is VP for the Donald

I really doubt that Pence moves the needle very much for anyone but it's a fine pick

Same guy that did the relegous freedom nonsense. Probably would have lost reelection.

As I said on the other thread, this pick was to shore up Trump alienating everyone but white guys. Donald hasn't insulted the LGBT community. The VP had to have a track record of treating LGBT dismally , as second class human and not even full American citizens.

How could Trump have ever picked Christie? He put his daughter's father-in-law in jail.

Of the potentials, this was the best 1, IMHO. It helps shore up Trump's standing with religious conservatives, and it makes the establishment feel better about Donald's ability to govern if he wins. Gingrinch had been out of govt for too long and had a terrible marriage history. Christie offered zero and is hated by religious conservatives and tea baggers. New names like Ernst were too potentially scary - see Sarah Palin. Pence doesn't help bring new folks in the tent at all, but I don't think any of his potential veeps were going to do that. So better to retrench and get a religious conservative with significant govt experience. And this will set Pence up as the religious right alternative to Ted Cruz in 2020.

BSD, do you think this affects the IN senate race in any way? And who are IN Pubs going to get now to run for governor?

Of the potentials, this was the best 1, IMHO. It helps shore up Trump's standing with religious conservatives, and it makes the establishment feel better about Donald's ability to govern if he wins. Gingrinch had been out of govt for too long and had a terrible marriage history. Christie offered zero and is hated by religious conservatives and tea baggers. New names like Ernst were too potentially scary - see Sarah Palin. Pence doesn't help bring new folks in the tent at all, but I don't think any of his potential veeps were going to do that. So better to retrench and get a religious conservative with significant govt experience. And this will set Pence up as the religious right alternative to Ted Cruz in 2020.

BSD, do you think this affects the IN senate race in any way? And who are IN Pubs going to get now to run for governor?

I don't think this will impact the senate race. I have no idea on governor. Maybe speaker of house Brian Bosma.

He should have gone with newt.

This has Dan Quayle written all over it.

I don't like Pence, but he's much more qualified and intelligent than Quayle.

Read something this morning that said Trumps kids factored heavily in the decision. Trump was leaning a different direction and the kids pulled him towards Pence. No idea if true or not.

Read something this morning that said Trumps kids factored heavily in the decision. Trump was leaning a different direction and the kids pulled him towards Pence. No idea if true or not.

Wonder if he wanted Newt?

The reports yesterday were that the kids wanted Pence and Donald's "gut" said to pick Christie.

Probably the best of the final three, but a guy who is most well known nationally for getting smacked down by businesses for a law allowing discrimination doesn't seem all that inspiring.

Back