• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Injury updates

Turner and Ellison have shown they can be as effective as CBS running. Not sure he would've been any more effective in the 4th quarter.

Agree with this. We need to run the true RPO this week. We were a little one dimensional when we just went shot gun and to the passing game. RPO keeps the D line honest.

Agree with this. We need to run the true RPO this week. We were a little one dimensional when we just went shot gun and to the passing game. RPO keeps the D line honest.

CBS does so many things beside running the ball. Pass blocking and special teams - kinda stuff that doesn’t show up in stat sheet. Running the ball- yes- we have some depth there so should be okay it’s more intangible stuff you can’t replace and I just love the kid- true team player. Any word on if he broke it? Also- what about the 15 DB’s that were banged up- Mustafa, Carson, and one more….? We can probably be OK against Wolf Pups without them but going to need full strength back there to have a chance against Clemson.

CBS does so many things beside running the ball. Pass blocking and special teams - kinda stuff that doesn’t show up in stat sheet. Running the ball- yes- we have some depth there so should be okay it’s more intangible stuff you can’t replace and I just love the kid- true team player. Any word on if he broke it? Also- what about the 15 DB’s that were banged up- Mustafa, Carson, and one more….? We can probably be OK against Wolf Pups without them but going to need full strength back there to have a chance against Clemson.

I've seen Turner and Ellison also do excellent jobs in blitz pickups. I'm not saying he won't be missed, but I think we'll still be ok. Like I said, special teams may be were he will most be missed.

Gavin Holmes is the other DB you're thinking of.

When Carson and Holmes were both out, it wrecked Wake's defense when WF had to put Ja'Sir Taylor and Isaiah Wingfield at the outside CB spots and Zion Keith at nickel. Which is why my first question to Clawson yesterday was "what affect did losing Caelen and Gavin have on the defense?" Because when WF was healthy at CB, Taylor was locking up Josh Downs better than anybody else in the ACC has this season.

Full answer was: "It was just, you know, we were going to play Ja’Sir at nickel and then as soon as we put Zion out there, they started throwing bombs at him. Then we had to play a lot more zone than we wanted to, and it made us soft against the run. It was just – you know, you can survive it. You lose two and it got really hard."

And it's a safe argument that while State doesn't have a receiver as good as Downs, they've got a deeper and more talented WR corps all around. So that's a long way of saying ... they're going to need at least one of Carson/Holmes to be healthy, or the offense needs to be ready to score 50-plus again.

When Carson and Holmes were both out, it wrecked Wake's defense when WF had to put Ja'Sir Taylor and Isaiah Wingfield at the outside CB spots and Zion Keith at nickel. Which is why my first question to Clawson yesterday was "what affect did losing Caelen and Gavin have on the defense?" Because when WF was healthy at CB, Taylor was locking up Josh Downs better than anybody else in the ACC has this season.

Full answer was: "It was just, you know, we were going to play Ja’Sir at nickel and then as soon as we put Zion out there, they started throwing bombs at him. Then we had to play a lot more zone than we wanted to, and it made us soft against the run. It was just – you know, you can survive it. You lose two and it got really hard."

And it's a safe argument that while State doesn't have a receiver as good as Downs, they've got a deeper and more talented WR corps all around. So that's a long way of saying ... they're going to need at least one of Carson/Holmes to be healthy, or the offense needs to be ready to score 50-plus again.

Thanks - agreed all around. What about Garnes coming back?

Thanks - agreed all around. What about Garnes coming back?

I wouldn't count on him until the bowl game -- if he's back for BC or ACCCG, would be a bonus and you'd probably only see him for 10-15 snaps.

Yes we will need to be full strength back there to have a chance against NC State.

State is playing for a championship.

Pretty good analysis

I would feel a whole lot better about this Saturday if Carson was playing. I’m worried he’s going to be out and our secondary is going to kill any chance we have against a good State team.

Any update on the DB situation?

Doubt anybody will know until 6:30pm Saturday. Unless someone is out for the year, Clawson won’t comment on it in pressers.

We do know Holmes injured his hand/wrist on a deep ball down the sideline where his hand got caught under a diving UNC WR. He didn’t return after that play and it didn’t look all that promising seeing it later on.

Carson’s final play came when he dove to tackle Howell on a scramble. Really didn’t look like much happened but he ran off the field favoring his hand or shoulder (couldn’t really tell). There’s been some reports that he had a hand injury and there’s also been some reports that he had the flu and was throwing up. No idea there.

Also have no idea on Mustapha’s injury. We will need at least 2 of those 3 to return if we want to have a chance covering Emezie, Thayer, and Devin Carter.

Does anyone have the starting lineup/depth chart of the ODU game and the UNC game?

Really rough stretch now with all our injuries. Worst case scenario going forward: CBS won't return this season due to severity of sprain. State comes in with a typical bag of trick plays and 2 or 3 work to our demise. Clemson scores their most points of the season in a W and we lose 5 more to injury due to their superior size and speed, hopefully not Hartman (but they will be gunning for him). Finally, BC has their star QB back in time to garner experience before he carves up our pass D with Hartman style and we lose by 2 scores in their final home game.

What I'm hoping and best case scenario: We play inspired ball vs State and create 2 crucial TOs to win a close high-scoring game. Clawson concedes Clemson and plays a lot of backups to avoid injuries. CBS back for a close win at BC. We are in Championship.

Last edited:
Does anyone have the starting lineup/depth chart of the ODU game and the UNC game?

Really rough stretch now with all our injuries. Worst case scenario going forward: CBS won't return this season due to severity of sprain. State comes in with a typical bag of trick plays and 2 or 3 work to our demise. Clemson scores their most points of the season in a W and we lose 5 more to injury due to their superior size and speed, hopefully not Hartman (but they will be gunning for him). Finally, BC has their star QB back in tome to garner experience before he carves up our pass D with Hartman style and we lose by 2 scores.

What I'm hoping and Best case scenario: We play inspired ball vs State a create 2 crucial TOs to win a close high-scoring game. Clawson concedes Clemson and plays a lot of backups to avoid injuries. CBS back for a close win at BC

My exact same fear. It really sucks Clemson got to play BC without PJ and Louisville without Cunningham for most of the game- they lose one or both of those otherwise. State also played BC without PJ and FSU without Travis and caught them in flu game. The way it’s shaping up currently we are going to play everyone on our schedule with their first string QB- except Army I guess. Don’t want to hear from pundits we haven’t played anyone.

Really rough stretch now with all our injuries. Worst case scenario going forward: CBS won't return this season due to severity of sprain. State comes in with a typical bag of trick plays and 2 or 3 work to our demise. Clemson scores their most points of the season in a W and we lose 5 more to injury due to their superior size and speed, hopefully not Hartman (but they will be gunning for him). Finally, BC has their star QB back in time to garner experience before he carves up our pass D with Hartman style and we lose by 2 scores in their final home game.

What I'm hoping and best case scenario: We play inspired ball vs State and create 2 crucial TOs to win a close high-scoring game. Clawson concedes Clemson and plays a lot of backups to avoid injuries. CBS back for a close win at BC. We are in Championship.

I can tell by this post and your handle you have followed WF football for some time.

Clawson's presser is this afternoon. He's intentionally non-committal about injuries unless a player is out for the year. Doubt we will know who is in or out until just before kickoff. FWIW, NC State is down 5 starters on D. Injuries are essentially unavoidable as the season goes on.

Doubt anybody will know until 6:30pm Saturday. Unless someone is out for the year, Clawson won’t comment on it in pressers.

We do know Holmes injured his hand/wrist on a deep ball down the sideline where his hand got caught under a diving UNC WR. He didn’t return after that play and it didn’t look all that promising seeing it later on.

Carson’s final play came when he dove to tackle Howell on a scramble. Really didn’t look like much happened but he ran off the field favoring his hand or shoulder (couldn’t really tell). There’s been some reports that he had a hand injury and there’s also been some reports that he had the flu and was throwing up. No idea there.

Also have no idea on Mustapha’s injury. We will need at least 2 of those 3 to return if we want to have a chance covering Emezie, Thayer, and Devin Carter.

Mustapha is a playmaker I believe, excited about his future.

Back