• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Interesting Article on Greg Marshall

BTW, Sapakoff is a friend of Dan Collins...

I think a lot of us would be fine with Marshall but unfortunately Ron Wellman would not. If we hire Marshall, then Hatch and the BoT will have gone over Wellman's head, and it's an indication that Ron is on his way out.

As I've said before, I know Marshall pretty well. But one of my best friends is really really close friends with Marshall. At this point, Marshall is pretty much all about the money. Twist that, find ways to discredit it, but that's virtually if not GM's exact words very recently.

As I've said before, I know Marshall pretty well. But one of my best friends is really really close friends with Marshall. At this point, Marshall is pretty much all about the money. Twist that, find ways to discredit it, but that's virtually if not GM's exact words very recently.

Which truthfully puts even more pressure on RW as he is saying, "Just pay me." If we end going the cheap route then again Ron will know he is disappointing the fan base. It is the golden opportunity as WF projects to be one if not the top job opening this offseason.

Marshall said Wake is not good enough to play Wichita State. Put aside whether you agree with him, how do you think having a coach publicly shit all over your program, when you've spent the last four years trying to reassure the fanbase all is well, sits with Ron and his ego? Zero chance Ron considers Marshall after that interview.

Marshall said Wake is not good enough to play Wichita State. Put aside whether you agree with him, how do you think having a coach publicly shit all over your program, when you've spent the last four years trying to reassure the fanbase all is well, sits with Ron and his ego? Zero chance Ron considers Marshall after that interview.

If anything, it suggests Marshall understands schedule construction with respect to how to build RPI. For a mid/low major, you need teams better than Wake to build your resume.

Think you're right.

We really need a coach who is totally independent, not someone who agrees to the AD naming his assistant coaches. Need a coach who has more power than the players. Right now we don't.
This team has some potential but they have been indoctrinated that all they really have to do is go to class, make grades and stay out of trouble. Marshall would scare the shit out of them. Which is exactly what they need.

The negative for us is that he would scare the shit out of Wellman.

Marshall is exactly what we need. His attitude coupled with his ability would make us an ACC contender again. We may not have endless money, but if we want to get past LOWF, maybe we should act like the big boys .

As long as he doesnt cheat and curse in tv interviews, who cares if he is charming?

Not often you have the chance to hire an elite coach. I sure hope the fact he said scheduling WF this season wouldn't have changed the media's perception of them playing nobody as a reason not to go the elite route.

Saying we're not good enough to play them is not "shitting all over your program." It's speaking the truth

Putting money aside, if RW is making this hire, I feel pretty confident that Marshall, or someone like hm, will not be the one. Most of his hires have been cut from the same non-controversial-personality cloth (excepting Dino and, perhaps, Skip), and I expect the next basketball coach to be the same.

And I don't think it has to do with his ego. I think it has to do with the sincere belief in "winning the Wake Forest way". Unfortunately, if that's the case, he has done a very poor job articulating that image and it's benefits to the fan base, especially by not being entirely candid. However, I think that the BOT and others close to the program have heard that candid talk of his vision, which I think may be a reason for the disconnect and alienation with respect to our basketball program. A "case study in mass alienation" indeed.

Also, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Marshall's comments other than for himself if he might have actually wanted the Wake job (and I doubt that). They probably have RPIs similar to Wake on their schedule already. They need more than that. And, if he wants to get laid, then good for him.

Eta - ha! That was supposed to say, "if he wants to get PAID". But good for him either way.

Last edited:
People are so deluded here. Even if Marshall was a Skip level of charming there is about zero percent chance we are 'buying' a coach. I find it hard to believe anyone that went to Wake would think we would ever go in that direction, Wellman or any AD.

Also, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Marshall's comments other than for himself if he might have actually wanted the Wake job (and I doubt that). They probably have RPIs similar to Wake on their schedule already. They need more than that. And, if he wants to get laid, then good for him.

And, let's say we do get a decent coach not named Marshall, and we get to NIT level next year and NCAA the year after. I doubt Wellman is going to help his RPI in the future after that comment.

Putting money aside, if RW is making this hire, I feel pretty confident that Marshall, or someone like hm, will not be the one. Most of his hires have been cut from the same non-controversial-personality cloth (excepting Dino and, perhaps, Skip), and I expect the next basketball coach to be the same.

And I don't think it has to do with his ego. I think it has to do with the sincere belief in "winning the Wake Forest way". Unfortunately, if that's the case, he has done a very poor job articulating that image and it's benefits to the fan base, especially by not being entirely candid. However, I think that the BOT and others close to the program have heard that candid talk of his vision, which I think may be a reason for the disconnect and alienation with respect to our basketball program. A "case study in mass alienation" indeed.

He has communicated his vision pretty clearly to the fanbase. Maybe not through his words but certainly through his actions over the years. The difference is that we see it for the shortsighted blurry nonsense that it is. It baffles me that some people think the wake BOT knows more about college athletics than Wake educated people who spend hours a day talking with each other about college athletics.

The comment is irrelevant. What is and has been relevant is he will get a raise at the end of this year. Our offer to him will have to be in the $3.5-4+M range to get his attention. As he said, he'd need a Brinks truck full of money to think about it shows this.

What is and has been relevant is he's set for life in Wichita. He's all but guaranteed to have 900 wins if he stays and coaches to about 68-70. We have to sell him on why it makes sense to leave even with a Brinks truck full of money.

Back