• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Introversion in the workplace- are introverts discriminated against?

Yes....figure out the rules of the game, then play it.

And when you are frustrated, just bite your lip, go home and take it out on your wife like the rest of us.

Jesus Christ dude. You need therapy or something.

The title of the thread/question being asked is kind of bothering me. Can you be discriminated against for a character trait that you have control over?
You can receive negative feedback based on your personality, and introverts very well may receive more negative feedback depending on the work environment, but then it's on you as an employee to change that aspect of your work persona to fit into what the team/management/job requires. Similarly, an extrovert may be asked to tone it back. That's not discrimination. You might not like what they're asking you to do or expecting you tot do because it's uncomfortable, but it's nothing you can't reasonably change.

I disagree it is not easy for an introvert to pretend to be an extrovert. I am terribly introverted and graduate in may with my business and I am terrified of what kind of job I am going to be able to find because of my personality. I am introverted and terribly shy. I keep my old friends close and have a difficult time making new friends. I also have a tough time working for people I think are pricks and that has caused problems before.

I think part of the problem is that people view introversion as being rude, in some cases. That's not really fair but people don't like to think critically, especially on a mundane observation in the workplace or in any social situations. Certain people have an odd inclination of associating not talking a lot to being a jerk. Some people even believe that those people think they are better than everyone and so this must be the reason they are not talking.

But to allude to the others, they are definitely right. It doesn't matter if it's work, school, or anywhere for that matter you have to play the game. It comes easier for some people but that doesn't mean that you and others can't improve upon communicating on a regular basis with strangers. Do something that involves risk and scare yourself a few times until it becomes not scary anymore.

Comfort zones were meant to be broken and I would even take it a step further and say to not break them is a shame. We all risk everything by getting in our vehicles each morning and driving to work or school but that doesn't seem to bother us. It's because we've become familiar with that risk. The same can be done in any social setting.

The title of the thread/question being asked is kind of bothering me. Can you be discriminated against for a character trait that you have control over?
You can receive negative feedback based on your personality, and introverts very well may receive more negative feedback depending on the work environment, but then it's on you as an employee to change that aspect of your work persona to fit into what the team/management/job requires. Similarly, an extrovert may be asked to tone it back. That's not discrimination. You might not like what they're asking you to do or expecting you tot do because it's uncomfortable, but it's nothing you can't reasonably change.

I agree with lbe. Replace the word introvert in the title and original post with asshole and see what you think.

One of the best books I read this past year was Quiet by Susan Cain. (See TED clip on page 1 of this thread.) If you are an introvert or live with or love one, you will really find this book helpful in understanding your/their nature. Ms. Cain points out that extroversion is the preferred (read "popular") mode in our culture but that the great thinkers, problem-solvers and creative people are predominantly introverts. She cites studies that show that introverts are more productive at work and do more accurate work than extroverts, who excel in completing tasks quicker. She talks about the need for and the ability of introverts to step into their "faux" extroversion for brief periods of time. If you are an introvert you will understand your childhood, youth and school experiences in a new way after reading the book.

I will have to pick that up mmedeac. Thanks.

Just tell your boss that you're on the spectrum.....problem solved, and you can continue being an introvert.

There is no doubt that introverts are at a disadvantage in the business world. As seventwofour said, try to maximize the people energy you have and channel it into a few effective moments during the day. You're never going to act like an extravert, but if you focus your energy like this, you won't worry the extraverts with your "aloofness".

There are certainly industries and jobs that favor introverts much like there are jobs that favor extroverts. I don't see this as a "business world on the whole" type issue.

Say what? Who can control their personality? Your personality is what it is. It may manifest itself in different ways over different periods of your life, but it's pretty constant (all IMHO obviously).

Btw, I feel this thread would be more clear if every post contained the poster's Myers-Briggs Type. For example, if lbe were an ESFJ or something, I might discount her take more than if she were an INTJ.

(For full disclosure, I'm an INTP.)

Very much introverted when I was younger. The older a get, the more extroverted I get.

Back