• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Investment Thread - For all your money needs

Yes - could sell lots in a way to minimize tax impact.

Regarding the high yield savings account - we do have one, but only keep like $3k in it. Hard to justify parking $40k in a savings account, even a high yield one, unless I'm missing something and need to think of it differently.

The point of the EF is that it’s cash readily accessible to handle emergencies that come up, like plumbing disasters, lost jobs, busted furnace, car repairs or other immediate cash requirements from life things. So that you don’t have to touch investments or take loans.

As long as ya can tax harvest for no tax impact, no need to keep a savings account IMO. Although now that they’re yielding 3-4% it probably makes more sense to keep a higher % in savings than it has made the past decade.

Yeah…now more than ever it’s reasonable and likely prudent to keep a decent stash of cash in high yield savings for unexpected needs.

Just gives you immediate flexibility without having to sell anything.

For the question at hand, I agree with the advice to avoid the loan and sell to minimize taxes.

We keep a year's salary for each in moneymarket for emergencies. And I don't look forward to replenishing it after I put a new roof on my house this spring.

If anybody feels like throwing some money into a fire, I just went long HLIT (@14) & MU (@60).

I don't feel like either of them has a huge near-term catalyst... Just dipping my toes in with the expectation of holding for 1-2 years.

And full disclosure, I also sold ALK... Had bought it in 9/20 along w/ CPA on a kind of long-term bet on the recovery of what I think are the 2 best airlines.

ALK was meh. CPA has worked better (and I am not selling).

I shifted to all cash a while back. When should I jump back in? Although, I guess that's always the question.

I haven't jumped all the way back in.

Feels like Semis, at least, have bottomed... Hence the play on the biggest cyclical in that space (MU).

I still think this rally is short-term... Expecting economic data to broadly head south throughout the year. But stocks seem to not care about that (or have perhaps already discounted it and moved beyond).

I just think it is going to be hard for stocks to work on deteriorating economic data. The "bad news is good news" stuff (in hopes of a Fed pivot) only works to a certain point.

Fsu5tAqWcAAoOOs.jpg

No idea how the market will react, but there have already been a number of preannouncements from companies saying that things got noticeably worse for their businesses throughout March.

I assume that's the gist of the article.

But yeah, that's not a shocker to anyone paying attention. But you can never assume things are priced in because most people are idiots.

Just took a look at First Republic's 1Q Balance sheet and woof. It'll be interesting to see if the big banks take a loss due to the $30 billion they deposited.

Interesting bloomberg article on credit default swaps and the debt ceiling. Basically because of the huge interest rate spikes, people are going to be incentivized to take out huge CDS positions on treasuries, get the govt to skip a payment by bribing the Kevin McCarthy's/Matt Gaetz's of the world, and get paid out bigly on the CDS.

That’d have to be a hell of a bribe considering it’d be instantly devalued but the freedumb caucus probably wouldn’t realize that.

Back