• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Investment Thread - For all your money needs

I don't know how anyone can be holding Crypto right now. Get out...rebuy cheaper if you still believe in it, but the SEC is coming in hot on this.

There are a few smaller, more reputable firms that stand to really gain from this (assuming they aren't next). But I agree that now isn't the time to be a hero.

Nice couple weeks on a Carvana trade. Finally caught the shorts it seems today. Wishing I hadn't taken out as much of my profits last week.

In the last week two major hotels were abandoned in SF. Abandoned. And an office tower purchased in 2005 for 108M was just sold for 46M this past week. And in StL a 46 story office tower that is largely vacant in the wake of Covid was declared a 100% loss by the borrower who levered to by it. Also, the owner of the tallest building in downtown Minneapolis missed its mortgage payment last month. Not confidence inspiring.

Hard to imagine not being able to sell housing and space in San Francisco.

Hard to imagine not being able to sell housing and space in San Francisco.

Office vacancy rates in SF are as high as 25% right now. And that's just unleased space. As leases come up for renewal it likely will get worse. Pretty hard to be an investor in office space in that environment other than at cut rate prices.

Office vacancy rates in SF are as high as 25% right now. And that's just unleased space. As leases come up for renewal it likely will get worse. Pretty hard to be an investor in office space in that environment other than at cut rate prices.

My building in Atlanta has essentially given up. Deloitte just left for Midtown. They’ve shuttered the cafe and coffee shop and are relying on food truck pop ups.

My building in Atlanta has essentially given up. Deloitte just left for Midtown. They’ve shuttered the cafe and coffee shop and are relying on food truck pop ups.
Our company built out two floor office in seven story building a couple of years before Covid. I'd guess most days we might have 20-30% of our workers in the office. Hard to justify maintaining all that space when so many people work from home part of the week. And the Twin Cities are not a horribe metro in terms of drive times.

1-2 trillion in debt with collateral values that are cut in half would be a credit crisis impacting small to medium sized banks. That's not good for anyone.
How would that materially affect my life

1-2 trillion in debt with collateral values that are cut in half would be a credit crisis impacting small to medium sized banks. That's not good for anyone.
Because our economy is based on maximizing gains and minimizing losses for whatever shit wealthy people get themselves into and making the rest of us suffer for it.

We'd all be better off if wealthy people just lost money on their bad bets and left the rest of us out of it.

Because our economy is based on maximizing gains and minimizing losses for whatever shit wealthy people get themselves into and making the rest of us suffer for it.

Public pensions are allocated 10-15% to commercial real estate. That's the largest investment allocation of all institutional investors in the space. So I guess all those wealthy firemen and school teachers seeking gains are really out to screw everyone else.

Back