• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Investment Thread - For all your money needs

for i-bonds is it set at a flat rate at the time of purchase?

there are two components, the fixed rate which is set at time of purchase (0% for several years now) and the variable rate which changes every 6 months.

variable rate was 7.12% November - April and is now 9.62%

loaded up the I bond train in December and January. Each individual can buy $10k per calendar year.

Anyone else's investments just getting crushed the last 3-4 months, or am I working with the wrong people?

Anyone else's investments just getting crushed the last 3-4 months, or am I working with the wrong people?

Probably most people’s.

I try to avoid looking and stick to the plan…

If you have 10+ years ahead of you can it could be a good time to increase your investing.

why not just jump in with Buffet and throw it all in activision for a year and get that guaranteed 20%

I've been sitting on a bunch of shares for the last six months. Since Feb, I've been selling covered calls. It's free money on my shitbox shares. Fucking things never go up.

Not like it's going to be a ton of money after taxes, but with all of the equity most homeowners have from the current market, any reason not to do 10K from a heloc for a year for the i-bond deal? Seems impossible to lose money on that deal. Even if you end up paying 4-5 percent on the heloc (worst case scenario, at least for mine), it seems like free money, I might be missing something though.

just seems like a lot of paperwork for 300 bucks

Sort of my thought too but 10 minutes of paperwork to get a new driver? Maybe. And if inflation apocalypse continues, it's going to be more and take longer for the heloc rate to catch up.

if you aren't gonna wish you had the $10k for something else in the next 12 months then i guess why not

FSUGnmYWQAAT2cb

That's hilarious. What is not hilarious is my Vanguard account. Yikes.

just read an article that said due to the nasdaq drop, Elon holds all the cards in the twitter deal and could retrade them

say more

TSLA seems to be taking it as hard as anyone

Retrade means since the market has gone down so much, he can still probably buy twitter for much less than he publicly agreed to, or $54/share. TSLA going down only gives him more leverage to do so "I have less money so can't offer $54 anymore, how's $40?" and if Twitter says no the stock immediately drops to $20.

Back