• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Investment Thread - For all your money needs

Retrade means since the market has gone down so much, he can still probably buy twitter for much less than he publicly agreed to, or $54/share. TSLA going down only gives him more leverage to do so "I have less money so can't offer $54 anymore, how's $40?" and if Twitter says no the stock immediately drops to $20.

i mean, if he valued the company at $54 and now he wants to slice it to $40 b/c his leverage is worse somehow that makes it worth less than $54?

i mean, if he valued the company at $54 and now he wants to slice it to $40 b/c his leverage is worse somehow that makes it worth less than $54?

it's worth less than $54 because the Nasdaq has tanked 20% since the offer was made, so presumably twitter's current stock price would be much less if there wasn't this Elon Musk deal out there on the table.

The deal is not going to be renegotiated lower. If he wants to back out, he’ll be paying TWTR a handsome breakup fee, I’m sure.

Moot point, I suspect.

I looked it up. He’d be on the hook for a $1bil buyout fee. And there would be a lawsuit where he’d probably be liable for more.

There are plenty of reasons why the deal might not go through, but probably not because Elon walks away.

I looked it up. He’d be on the hook for a $1bil buyout fee. And there would be a lawsuit where he’d probably be liable for more.

There are plenty of reasons why the deal might not go through, but probably not because Elon walks away.

It's not saying he'll go away, it's saying what if he says he'll buy for $44.20 instead

It's not saying he'll go away, it's saying what if he says he'll buy for $44.20 instead

My point is it isn't that easy. They have a deal at an agreed upon price.

If stocks had ripped since the deal was announced, Twitter wouldn't be able to ask for a higher offer. I mean, in that scenario the shareholders could vote "no" on the deal, but with stocks going the other way it makes a "yes" vote even more likely.

The biggest issue with the deal going through isn't price... It is getting it through all of the various regulators (and not just in the US).

I guess Elon tweeted at the article

https://www.reuters.com/technology/...k-being-repriced-lower-hindenburg-2022-05-09/

Did you see this at the end of the pitch?

Disclosure: We are short shares of Twitter, Inc. (NASDAQ: TWTR)

Hindenburg is firm that takes short positions and then publishes articles about why a stock should go down. They are actually pretty good at it, so I feel like they have more credibility than most of their peers.

Hindenburg is firm that takes short positions and then publishes articles about why a stock should go down. They are actually pretty good at it, so I feel like they have more credibility than most of their peers.

lol unfucking real

Hindenburg Research is a company that makes money when stuff goes down? And who says finance bros have no sense of humor.

What credibility do they have?

What credibility do they have?

If you go to their website and read past reports, they have a pretty solid hit rate of uncovering shady businesses before the broader market comes around.

They were proven "correct" (in that the stocks went down massively) for shitcos like Nikola, Clover Health, Lordstown Motors (and others).

His bigger problem is that he collateralized the loan to buy TWTR with Tesla shares. He needs to be worried about a margin call if TSLA gets down in the low 500s.

Btw, we aren't even close to bottom yet.

The speech Biden just gave was nothing more than "I tried but MAGA/Putin/Supply chain all stopped us from solving this inflationary menace." And the market reacted accordingly. I feel like the SPY has already priced in a slight CPI dip tomorrow, and yet it's still dropping like a rock.

I cashed some $400 puts for a nice profit yesterday, and have some end of May 385s going now. I think we are going to see 350 sometime this summer.

Btw, we aren't even close to bottom yet.

Couldn't agree more.

There needs to be a lot more pain.

And in the next couple of weeks, we'll start to hear more stories about some huge losses at some big firms that inevitably cause shockwaves.

And I am in no way a Biden supporter, but his issue isn't that he caused this (cough... Fed... cough). His issue is that he's downplayed it the entire time and is now blaming others and/or saying that nobody could have seen this coming when there have been a TON of voices warning about higher inflation for well over a year now. He's completely tone deaf.

Back