• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Investment Thread - For all your money needs

I took a loan out a little while ago so I could pounce on some volatility and woke up at 6AM this morning and saw the market down and was seriously considering pulling the trigger. Trying to find the time to buy some netflix/roku at a lower basis to counter some of my wife's trades. Of course missed the action today

That 2.9% mortgage rate sure is looking good as inflation and rent sky rockets, looking forward to salary inflation adjustment alone paying my yearly mortgage.

That 2.9% mortgage rate sure is looking good as inflation and rent sky rockets, looking forward to salary inflation adjustment alone paying my yearly mortgage.
yeah, it's a bizarre time. Basically you're in good shape as long as you're not forced to sell. And even if you have to sell, if you can rent and have it cover the debt service you'll be fine. And no one is going to want to sell and get rid of a mortgage at 3% and get a new house and pay 8%. So there's going to be like no transactions at all and all realtors are gonna go broke.

I took a loan out a little while ago so I could pounce on some volatility and woke up at 6AM this morning and saw the market down and was seriously considering pulling the trigger. Trying to find the time to buy some netflix/roku at a lower basis to counter some of my wife's trades. Of course missed the action today

ROKU was still down today... You haven't missed anything there.

ROKU Chart.png

All of my TVs use Roku...two TLC tvs with it built in and one with a Roku device added. :unsure:

ANYWAYYYY.....Are there any Financial Advisors or ppl that are knowledgeable about all that that could PM me and just give me some basic advice?

I just got a decent size inheritance (well, decent to me, probably not to you high rollers) and I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about the stock market or various money..."stuff".

Thanks!

All of my TVs use Roku...two TLC tvs with it built in and one with a Roku device added. :unsure:

ANYWAYYYY.....Are there any Financial Advisors or ppl that are knowledgeable about all that that could PM me and just give me some basic advice?

I just got a decent size inheritance (well, decent to me, probably not to you high rollers) and I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about the stock market or various money..."stuff".

Thanks!
the first thing to know to help answer your question is when are you hoping to access the money? is it something you're hoping to use in the next year or so, e.g. for a down payment on a home, or is it something you're hoping to hold onto for awhile, e.g. for retirement? or something in between?

either way, I'd probably open an account with Vanguard and then the advice on what to do next follows from your answer(s) above

PM sent but yeah first thing I’d do with it is nothing. Plan what you’re doing first and then deal with the investing side after.

They’re high enough to where my mortgage company keeps calling me asking if I want to use all that equity that I have in my house.

the first thing to know to help answer your question is when are you hoping to access the money? is it something you're hoping to use in the next year or so, e.g. for a down payment on a home, or is it something you're hoping to hold onto for awhile, e.g. for retirement? or something in between?

either way, I'd probably open an account with Vanguard and then the advice on what to do next follows from your answer(s) above
Just need about 8-12% to pay off 2 credit cards and 1 medical bill and to give some breathing room, but no big purchases planned or needed.

The rest I plan to invest, and depending on the info I get, some percentage for mid-term, some for long-term/retirement

Luckily the distribution was split in two parts, first part in already invested money, 2nd half will be cash from sales of real estate properties. 1st half is split between 30% ETFs and 70% Mutual Funds.

I just have to do some research, I feel like the advisors I already talked to, the first ones that just explained the distribution amount, are already pressuring me into keeping everything with Wells Fargo. It was my grandfather that provided the inheritance and the advisors worked very closely with him, and he was their largest client, so they want me to keep everything as it was, but we'll see.

If treasury bills are gonna be yielding 5% soon that ain’t a bad place to go

Assuming none of the money is in tax-deferred accounts…in addition to maxing out your pretax employment retirement account contributions (from your salary), take some of the inheritance and max out annually either a Roth (generally preferred) or regular IRA depending on how your income lines up with the limits for the Roth. Put as much long-term retirement money as you can into pretax and tax-deferred or tax-free accounts.

Also, consider putting 10,000.00 a year into i bonds via a treasury direct account. You’ve just missed the deadline for the 9.62% bonds but I suspect the upcoming rate will still be pretty good.

For money you think you might want to use in the next few years, one option would be to put cash into brokered CDs through someplace like Vanguard. You‘ll get better rates with brokered CDs than through any traditional bank or most online-only banks.

Longer-term money outside of tax favorable retirement vehicles can be put into a diversified collection of funds or ETFs…most places like Vanguard have tools that will help you figure out a good mix based on your timeline and risk tolerance.

The folks at Wells Fargo are probably OK but you’ll likely end up paying more in fees if you leave your money there compared to rolling it into a self-managed account with a discount brokerage company. Your basis for selling and rolling over should be more favorable in the near term than longer term, generally. But if you’re not inclined towards self-management then maybe leave it there.

Last edited:
US-based companies announced plans to cut 29,989 jobs from their payrolls in September of 2022, the most in three months, and compared to 20,485 cuts in August as hiring is slowing and downsizing events are beginning to occur. The reading is also 67.6% higher than the 17,898 cuts announced a year earlier. Retailers cut the most jobs (9,273), followed by technology companies (4,212). Meanwhile, employers announced plans to hire 380,014 workers, the lowest September total since 2011, suggesting companies that typically staff seasonal hires are waiting to see whether consumers will show up for the holiday season. Considering Q3, job cuts fell by 1.6% from Q2 to 76,284 but went up 45.1% from a year earlier. So far this year however, employers announced plans to cut 209,495 jobs, the lowest January-September reading on record, and down 21% from the first nine months of 2021. The auto sector leads all industries in job cuts this year with 28,922

qoce0cajtgx91.jpg

0078_savings-rate-full.gif

k4m9zwoy6kb41.jpg

Would be interesting to see a graph of real wages overlaid on the savings rate chart

I think year to year comparisons are somewhat fine under normal circumstances but year to year percentage changes with a massive variable, covid, can be manipulated any way you want it to. Like 45.1% from a year earlier, yeah no shit.

Would be interesting to see a graph of real wages overlaid on the savings rate chart

Yeah that graph cooould show that (some) people are morons about their personal finances and spending all their money, which I presume was the point of posting it. Which is by and large true for many people that have the means and ability to know better.

But it’s more likely that the graph results from avg American wages being too low to live these days.

In terms of what those charts (or similar ones I've seen) mean for the broader economy, I think it shows there is a lag that happens when thing start to contract. Savings were built up when things were good (and even during the pandemic), but now those personal savings are being depleted and a lot of folks are back to living paycheck to paycheck without much of a cushion to depend on.

Throw in inflation and supply chain issues (and all kinds of other variables) and it is easy to understand why it is so difficult to forecast economic growth.

I still tend to feel pretty negative... But maybe there is some comfort to be taken from the fact that things haven't fallen apart yet.

Back